IGNORED

Expert Says Children Should Be Banned From Wii Fit (kotaku.com)

8th lutz

http://kotaku.com/5009320/expert-says-chil...ed-from-wii-fit

Remember the little girl that Wii Fit called fat? Sure you do! Now, at least one expert is calling Nintendo out on using BMI to judge whether younger players are overweight or not. Tam Fry of the National Obesity Forum is even calling for kiddos to be banned from Wii Fit. According to Fry:

I'm absolutely aghast that children are being told they are fat... BMI is far from perfect but with children it simply should not be used... A child's BMI can change every month and it is perfectly possible for a child to be stocky, yet still very fit... I would be very concerned if children were using this game and I believe it should carry a warning for parents.

I'll bet the lady that said that weighs 400 pounds. Gimmi a break, so now fat is a bad word?

Some people eat a bunch and don't do anything to burn calories. Then they get extra fat on their body. Its something that would cause others to refer to them as fat because it's well....fat.

Fat : ADJECTIVE : 1. having too much flabby tissue; corpulent; obese: a fat person.

If you don't want extra fat on your body, lose it. As much as overweight people like to try and blame the fat

Fat : NOUN : 1. any of several white or yellowish greasy substances, forming the chief part of adipose tissue of animals and also occurring in plants, that when pure are colorless, odorless, and tasteless and are either solid or liquid esters of glycerol with fatty acids; fats are insoluble in water or cold alcohol but soluble in ether, chloroform, or benzene: used in the manufacture of soap, paints, and other protective coatings and in cooking.

on other things (genes, metabolism etc...) They have extra fat because they eat more calories then they burn. Plain and simple. Fat isn't a bad word. People just don't like other people pointing out they are overweight because it suggests laziness or lack of self control. It's like someone not liking it when others say thier house is painted blue. If the fact that others call your house blue bothers you. Do some work and change it. Paint it purple. (Don't use the Wii to paint your house though.)

Edited by moycon

If a video game calling you fat (when by the current definition you are) is enough to cause you emotional harm, then you need to seek some professional help. Perhaps Wii Emotionally Fit?

This is all part of the "You can't tell anyone that they're not just perfect the way they are" crowd that is seriously screwing up this country. You can coddle childern like this all you want, but when they become adults and go out into the real world, they're going to be in for a rude awakening.

Just remember it's not the Wii that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat.

Tempest

If a video game calling you fat (when by the current definition you are) is enough to cause you emotional harm, then you need to seek some professional help.

Remember, this is the Whiny-first century. If anything causes you the slightest emotional discomfort, it's entirely within your right to bitch, moan, blubber to the media, and sue for millions of dollars until the hurt goes away. It's much more convenient than growing a set of balls!

new on IGN Nintendo announces Wii-fit extreme, with added insults and "motivations" like "hey fat ass, is that the best you can do" or if you're idle too long "whats the matter tubby, too much for ya?"

I'd actually buy that version if it was available...

Tempest

Isn't it in the kids best interest to be encouraged to get in better shape? It's not as if WiiFit is telling them they can't play if they're out of shape, or making fun of them.

Why don't we also lie to them about their grades on tests in school then? We don't want them thinking they're not as smart as anybody else in the class, do we?

This is deeply stupid and non-sensical.

I'd ask exactly how this was phrased to the child, and if the Wii Fit takes a child's growing body into account when making these computations. It's okay to tell a kid they are out of shape, but first they need to understand the difference between "out of shape" and "fat".

That considered, I mostly agree with you guys: there's no reason to sugar-coat what the scale tells you.

Tell 'em like it is, Nintendo! I think if more people were told the truth about what's wrong with them then they might actually quit bitching eventually and do something about it. That's not to say that if you have a thyroid problem or something that people should harass you about your weight. In cases such as that, sometimes people just can't help it. But if it is a person who can actually improve themselves and they are just too damn lazy to help themselves, then screw them, let others let them know what's up. Do you think a person who is obese due to a thyroid problem (or related issue) wants to be that way? No, probably not. But they can't really do anything about it. I bet if they knew someone who was fat because they were just lazy then they might be offended if that other person complained all the time. At least they can help themselves.

Wii fit is hilarious already.

Just another reason to add in why about 95% of political correctness is for the birds.

While there is a need for some degree of civility in this modern world of ours, there comes a point when you cross the threshold from good intentions to sheer stupidity, especially when you want to get all sue-happy when someone steps all over your precious "feel goods."

Here's the way I see it: If you are overweight, and you buy a game like Wii Fit, knowing full well that the game is going to tell you that you need to lose a few pounds, guess what? The game is going to tell you that you need to lose a few pounds! Gee... imagine that. :roll: I'm overweight. If I get the game ($100 is a bit on the steep side at the moment for me), I'm fully prepared to accept the bad news.

It all comes down to this simple culmination of thought on the subject: Take the medicine and grow a pair. :)

This lady and her "expertise"? Full of fail. Full of something else, too, but I'm too much of a gentleman to say what. :D :P

Edited by rockman_x_2002

"Expert Says Children Should Be Banned From Wii Fit "

I love how the article calls this person an expert. An expert in what? An expert in who should and should not play video games? Fuck, why didn't my high school guidance counselor tell me THAT was a career option? Man, if there's a job where I get paid to write stupid articles and talk out of my ass, don't keep it a secret.

Well, I have to agreeabout one point... BMI is complete BS! When I was 18, I was 6'1" and 200 pounds and skinny as a rail... yet, the current guidelines would say that I was 30 pounds overweight! I have broad shoulders and am built like a linebacker... so, I weighed more than an average person... yet, I was still very skinny!

Has anybody heard of throwing on some sneakers and going for a jog? This is the sort of stuff that irks me when it comes to the Wii. I enjoy the games that I play on it. But, every time I go buy a game this crap gets tossed at me. I don't want this junk. This is not what I bought a console for. I think it would be best to keep my exercise and video games separate. At some point Nintendo will release "Wii Square Meals a Day". Then let's see how long people can integrate virtual play and regular activity. "I keep eating these meals on the Wii but I feel hungry all the time!" Headline: Third-world countries suddenly flooded with excess food as the rest of the world turns to Wii diet.

Please please please don't let the Wii set the standard for the future of gaming.

Well, I have to agreeabout one point... BMI is complete BS! When I was 18, I was 6'1" and 200 pounds and skinny as a rail... yet, the current guidelines would say that I was 30 pounds overweight! I have broad shoulders and am built like a linebacker... so, I weighed more than an average person... yet, I was still very skinny!

6 1 and 200 pounds? but that sounds like you were a VERY big guy, I'm interested to know how you could be skinny.....?

i have to agree BMI is BS. Much of the same way with lord_mike, 11 years ago when I was in high school, Football being my sport of choice, I was very heavy into excercise and weightlifting. I was 5'11" and weighted 225lbs, but if you took the calipers to me, my BMI was very low, but if you took the calculation that figures only weight & height and compares it to what it thinks your ideal weight should be then yes, I would be considered obese and it's bs. It's totally not accurate, it figures this number the same way for everybody, and everybody is not built the same regardless of what they weigh.

6 1 and 200 pounds? but that sounds like you were a VERY big guy, I'm interested to know how you could be skinny.....?

I'm a big guy now 20 years later! But, back then, you could see my ribs! I wasn't anorexic looking, but definately very, very trim. In fact, I was trying to gain weight, 'cos I felt I was too skinny! Don't ask me how... I was pretty muscular, and had big bones, I guess!

Please please please don't let the Wii set the standard for the future of gaming.

I've been saying that for quite some time for a whole variety of reasons. :D

I'm 6'2" and a bit over 200, you can see a pic of me in the 'photo' thread. I definitely am not 'large' ;)

yeah and the game never did call the girl "fat".

But I can also sympathize with the kid, because had I been playing this 10 years earlier, I would have had the same thing happen to me. But what did you expect? The Wii can't see how your built, nor does it care. It's going by a very rough and inaccurate equation based on your height and weight and what you "SHOULD" weigh.

The one thing I would be interested in, since I haven't actually played the game, is if BEFORE it calculates the BMI based on the above, if it asks you what kind of build you are, thin, muscular, etc. Muscular people are going to weigh more, but that doesn't mean they are all obese.

Edited by Atari5200

If a video game calling you fat (when by the current definition you are) is enough to cause you emotional harm, then you need to seek some professional help.

Remember, this is the Whiny-first century. If anything causes you the slightest emotional discomfort, it's entirely within your right to bitch, moan, blubber to the media, and sue for millions of dollars until the hurt goes away. It's much more convenient than growing a set of balls!

Amen, brother Jess!!! :thumbsup:

He speaks the truth.