IGNORED

Why doesn`t AtariAge....

GreenDayRlz

Why do AtariAge`s prototypeing PCB`s use ZIF sockets?

It says no hassle of desoldering, but has the hassle of geting the chip in and out.........

I was gona try to find some 24 pin ZIF sockets and hack some Pac-Mans and give them away, you`d have to pay shipping, and about $1.00 for the game and socket, so 1.00+ship=final.

I hope I find some 24 pin ZIF`s at the hamfest On the 1st...

Sound like a good idea????????

I think you prototypers would like alot. I would.

I do sell boards with regular sockets, so no need to desolder chips then. Not as convenient as a ZIF socket, but with a chip extraction tool it's trivial to pop out the chip and put another one in. I've tried to use ZIF sockets on the boards we sell, but because there are components on both sides of the boards (at least the 2600 boards), they don't work out so well. You also run into clearance issues when using a populated ZIF socket depending on the 2600/7800 systems you're using the board with.

2600 2K/4K PCB - Assembled w/Socket

2600 8K/16K/32K PCB - Assembled w/Socket

..Al

I was thinking putting the ZIF on the opposite of the rom, and cutting a hole in the back....Foreword wouldn`t work I don`t think....I`d have to find one.

I was just saying, I would definently likie a ZIF, and was considering giving a few to some prototypers.

I just need alot of pac-mans.........

Not from ohio are ya?

Michiganese people are very weird......

Especally about fooseball. OUR football.

If you get some Aries brand ZIF sockets, those can be plugged directly into a "normal" DIP socket. Note that TexTool brand sockets cannot.

BTW, Aries sockets used to have a cool feature that allowed them to be plugged into narrow sockets. Just remove a couple screws, take off the cover, and then swap all the pins on the left with the corresponding pins on the right; put the cover back on and screw it down and you have a 24/28 pin 'narrow' ZIF. Unfortunately, Aries' later units seem to have replaced the screws with rivets; I don't know how well one could remove the rivets and later reassemble things.

Why do AtariAge`s prototypeing PCB`s use ZIF sockets?

Are you sure those are ZIF sockets? ZIF sockets are the big green things with a lever.

But the reason why is that you can't put the case together with a chip in a regular socket unless you either:

1) cut a hole in the case for the chip

2) use a low-profile socket

Just 1mm difference is more than enough to make the case fit or not fit. And regular cheapie sockets are like 2.5mm high. Plus regular EPROM pins are usually long enough that the chip rides 0.5mm above the socket.

And Albert has a good point about the both sides thing.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

Whoops, I`m pretty sure I ment Why doesn`t atari age have ZIF`s......

Well, when the hamefest comes around, I will look for 24 and 32 pin zifs, and try tomake them into a ATARI pac man cart for 2600.

Are there any CHEAP games that use the 32 Pin socket? I would like to get one of those and put a 32 pin zif on it and call it a 4/8/116/32/64K socket if possible. But I highly doubt it is, not so good with chips yet....

Are there any CHEAP games that use the 32 Pin socket? I would like to get one of those and put a 32 pin zif on it and call it a 4/8/116/32/64K socket if possible. But I highly doubt it is, not so good with chips yet....

I am unaware of any game that uses a 32-pin socket. In doing the Stella's Stocking cartridge design, we were stuck with a limitation that anything larger than a 28-pin DIP won't fit below the 'peg' on an unmodified Atari cartridge shell. Thus, a board with a 32-pin DIP and nothing else would have to be much larger than a normal AtariAge board.

I made myself a ZIF socketed ColecoVision cart to test EPROMs I program to verify they work before I solder them onto PCBs. My original plan was to just solder the socket into the PCB where the EPROM normally goes, which is about midway within the cart, but that interfered with the cartridge slot opening so I had to epoxy it into the hole in the cartridge casing near the top and wire each pin to their respective holes on the PCB.

zifcartridgets3.jpg