IGNORED

which games are exclusive to 5200 and dont exist on 8 bits?

lucifershalo

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Kangaroo

Vanguard

"Kangaroo" was actually released on the 8-bits before being released on the 5200 via APX. "Vanguard" has been converted.

Upon further research I have found a few 5200 titles which actually aren't available for the 8-bits (yet ;)).

Here is what I came up with:

- Playable Protos -

Roadrunner

Meebzork

- Homebrews -

Castle Blast

Combat II Advanced

Haunted House II 3-D

KLAX

Adventure II

- Unplayable Protos -

Black Belt

Spitfire

Tempest

Yellow Submarine

Of these, the only ones that are really going to matter are the playable protos and homebrews. Additionally, I would like to point out that the improved 5200 version of "Centipede" mentioned above has been converted, as well as other 5200 improved versions such as "Qix".

Edited by MrFish

• 4 weeks later...
It's interesting that the 5200 version of centipede uses a high res screen - the 8 bit version used a character mode which means it runs on machines with 8k :)

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn I read in an early Atari 400/800 that Centipede required 16K. I remember seeing a picture of it that said "Coming Soon!" and a little * that said "Requires 16K RAM". I remember that because I thought that all 400's came with at least 16K (I didn't know about the initial 8K ones until years later).

Tempest

They may be converted, but you can't play Robotron or Space Dungeon with the dual controller on the 8-bits (I may be wrong?). Also, isn't the Atari 5200 trackball different from an 8-bit trackball (which is really just a trackball in joystick mode - thus, all the great trackball games are quasi-exclusive.

It's interesting that the 5200 version of centipede uses a high res screen - the 8 bit version used a character mode which means it runs on machines with 8k :)

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn I read in an early Atari 400/800 that Centipede required 16K. I remember seeing a picture of it that said "Coming Soon!" and a little * that said "Requires 16K RAM". I remember that because I thought that all 400's came with at least 16K (I didn't know about the initial 8K ones until years later).

Tempest

You're absolutly correct - I looked at Centipede again and it seems to use ram in the 2nd 8k block... ( I can fill 6k with garbage in the bottom 8k without affecting the game )

They may be converted, but you can't play Robotron or Space Dungeon with the dual controller on the 8-bits (I may be wrong?). Also, isn't the Atari 5200 trackball different from an 8-bit trackball (which is really just a trackball in joystick mode - thus, all the great trackball games are quasi-exclusive.

The Trak-Ball I have for my 8-bit (CX-80) has a switch going between "JS" (Joystick) and "TB" (Trak-Ball) mode. So far only one game I know takes advantage of the TB mode: Missile Command (Hit Ctrl-T before starting a game)

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

except the games mentioned in post 9 by Mr. Fish, all other 5200 games seem to exist on the 8Bit Ataris. Some were produced by Atari itself, some were "ported" (hacked/cracked/...) by Glenn the 5200 man and Homesoft... In fact, since some 5200 games (Quix, Centipede, etc.) were better than the official 8Bit releases, Glenn ported them from the 5200 to the 8Bits, so both versions exist on the 8Bit computers...

And err, there are more TB Games for the 8Bit Atari than just Missile Command - some PD stuff by Simon Trew for example (Othello, Kriss Kross and a few others). Not sure which other TB games exist for the 5200 though...

-Andreas Koch.

P.S.: I do have The last Starfighter on a 16k cart. for my 8Bit, its just a copy of the file version that is available everywhere...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

The negative criticism of the Atari 8-Bit Centipede seems to be based on it's gameplay differing from the arcade version. Personally, I thoroughly liked the 8-Bit Centipede back then, and still enjoy it. Its a fun game, especially in a dark room on a big TV with the brightness & contrast adjusted just perfect... you can get lost for hours in it, and it's gameplay is highly addictive. The graphics certainly don't suck, and the sounds draw you into the game. I find it truly amazing that the game was coded in such a small space, really. Software engineers were a whole different breed, back then.

Now, the Space Invaders for the 8-Bit... that sucked. The 2600 version was waaaay more fun & cooler looking, AFAIC.

• 2 weeks later...