IGNORED

Kjmann's RMT Music

Kjmann

To Save Time and Space for the Forum, Chris <sheddy> Suggested that I create a thread for the music I'm doing and use it alone from now on. so here it is. the following zip file contains all of my completed work (and a couple not quite done), including some new stuff i just sent to chris for use with space harrier. as always all comments are welcome. =)

AXK8 is my attempt at a MOD conversion. Which is why it sounds so crappy. when i have time i'll work on it some more.

shotdark is my try at Henry Mancini's "A Shot in the Dark" I Still have a long way to go on it.

UPDATE:

Download my songs from my website http://webpages.charter.net/windwar

Edited by kjmann

Well, I decided that maybe I could do a better job on the main theme. Call me a perfectionist if you want. lol =)

I originally used the Space Harrier MOD as a reference and was never quite satisfied with it. So This Is a ReWrite From Scratch.

Hopefully I Captured the Spirit of the original this time.

I Really Want Your Input on This One Folks. Post Your Comments For Me. Is It Better that the other one i did or is it worse. =)

Remember to run it at 50Hz, and it works on a duel pokey or single.

UPDATE:

Edited by kjmann

• 2 weeks later...

It was suggested to me quite some time back that i try to combine some instruments for the single pokey version of the space harrier main theme. well I've been messing with the idea and tweeking some instruments for about a month now an i think I have got a good set of instruments that won't sacrifice quality or screw up the bass line. tell me what you guys think of it.

when played in stereo mode you will get a nice full sound from the music. and in single/mono mode. you will get a cool COMPLETE version of the song. harmony and all.

This version is in 60 HZ for all you guys who would like to play it on your real ataris'

UPDATE:

Edited by kjmann

It was suggested to me quite some time back that i try to combine some instruments for the single pokey version of the space harrier main theme. well I've been messing with the idea and tweeking some instruments for about a month now an i think I have got a good set of instruments that won't sacrifice quality or screw up the bass line. tell me what you guys think of it.

when played in stereo mode you will get a nice full sound from the music. and in single/mono mode. you will get a cool COMPLETE version of the song. harmony and all.

This version is in 60 HZ for all you guys who would like to play it on your real ataris'

Sounds better (though a bit slow...also on NTSC) ;)

Only one thing: maybe you should put the second (melody-) voice volume a bit lower (...than the volume of the first (melody-) voice). Now the first and second voice have the same volume, though they play different harmonic roles, i.e. the second voice is not coherent with the first voice, but plays a more independent melody which belongs more to the 'background' of the music.

the distribution of the voices along the left/right pokey is quite O.k.

Edited by BRK

UPDATE:

Sounds better (though a bit slow...also on NTSC) ;)

Only one thing: maybe you should put the second (melody-) voice volume a bit lower (...than the volume of the first (melody-) voice). Now the first and second voice have the same volume, though they play different harmonic roles, i.e. the second voice is not coherent with the first voice, but plays a more independent melody which belongs more to the 'background' of the music.

the distribution of the voices along the left/right pokey is quite O.k.

Ah, You mean the harmony is too loud. I was wondering about that. ok i bring it a bit lower. Thanks for the input.

here are both the 50hz and 60hz versions with the harmony volume a bit lower.

UPDATE:

Edited by kjmann

You did a very subtle change :)

I think the volume of the harmony can still be lowered - maybe 50% or 60% of the current volume value. Also when you listen to the original tune, I think the volume of the 2nd voice is half of that of the 1st voice....though in stereo mode it's a good thing the 1st and 2nd melody voice are spatially separated, which also gives a better result.

Did you ever consider using generator C bass instead of generator E? IMHO it sounds deeper.

..Or, playing the main melody on channel 1 or 3 with 1.79 mhz mode turned on, playing with generator 2 (which you should transpose a bit, though)...this would give a more contrastful timbre on the main melody.....just a thought ;)

You did a very subtle change :)

I think the volume of the harmony can still be lowered - maybe 50% or 60% of the current volume value. Also when you listen to the original tune, I think the volume of the 2nd voice is half of that of the 1st voice....though in stereo mode it's a good thing the 1st and 2nd melody voice are spatially separated, which also gives a better result.

Did you ever consider using generator C bass instead of generator E? IMHO it sounds deeper.

..Or, playing the main melody on channel 1 or 3 with 1.79 mhz mode turned on, playing with generator 2 (which you should transpose a bit, though)...this would give a more contrastful timbre on the main melody.....just a thought ;)

The Reason I didn't lower it anymore is because the pokey volume changes to drasticly if i go another step lower. then the harmony gets lost altogether.

as for 15khz mode <hardsynth method> I hate it. In my opinion it sounds like crap and requires to much fooling around with the instuments to get it in tune. i personaly just don't like the sound of it. emkay aproched me many times about it. i just not a fan of it. I like the sound of the standard pokey mode. i did try generator C at first and i sounds sour in spots. I wanted more backbone to the bass anyway and generator E supplies that for me. If I was able to i would use a 16 bit bass table but i tend to run into problems when you try to run it on a real single pokey machine. gets real sour for some reason. i think it has something to do with the way the atari calls to both chip. like the 16bit is trying to bleed over both chips. and loosing somethin in the prossess. besides 16bit bass is really not possible if i need to leave the 4th channel open for chris. just not enough voices. generator E gives me the Hard Hitting/heavy Driving Back bone I believe this song should have.

Thanks for you suggestion though =)

Heres the newsest versions 50 and 60hz for download. i found a mistake in one of the combo instruments where the bass drumm was getting lost in the shuffle.

UPDATE:

Edited by kjmann

as for 15khz mode <hardsynth method> I hate it.

that's OK, but I didn't suggest 15khz mode, just 1.79 mhz on one voice (choose from voice 1 or 3), and NOT in 16bit mode.

I wanted more backbone to the bass anyway and generator E supplies that for me. If I was able to i would use a 16 bit bass table but i tend to run into problems when you try to run it on a real single pokey machine. gets real sour for some reason. i think it has something to do with the way the atari calls to both chip

Yup, that's the standard problem with gen. C/E: They both are Pokey-generator C, be it that gen. E uses a different table. Generator C uses the 5-step periodic part of the 4bit polycounter and generator E uses the 15-step part (which sounds more metallic). C and E modes are not mutually compatible in the sense that they can sound together in a harmonic way. Also they give a problem with tuning-compatibility with the gen. A melody part, though indeed gen. E is the more tone-pure bass.

as for 15khz mode <hardsynth method> I hate it.

that's OK, but I didn't suggest 15khz mode, just 1.79 mhz on one voice (choose from voice 1 or 3), and NOT in 16bit mode.

I wanted more backbone to the bass anyway and generator E supplies that for me. If I was able to i would use a 16 bit bass table but i tend to run into problems when you try to run it on a real single pokey machine. gets real sour for some reason. i think it has something to do with the way the atari calls to both chip

Yup, that's the standard problem with gen. C/E: They both are Pokey-generator C, be it that gen. E uses a different table. Generator C uses the 5-step periodic part of the 4bit polycounter and generator E uses the 15-step part (which sounds more metallic). C and E modes are not mutually compatible in the sense that they can sound together in a harmonic way. Also they give a problem with tuning-compatibility with the gen. A melody part, though indeed gen. E is the more tone-pure bass.

ah, yes now that i reread your post i see where you were going. unfortunately i would have to practicly rewrite the entire song to make that work <1.79/gen 2> the song has such a large range in the melody that i would have to make 3 instruments to cover the octaves that go sour and strange. also gen 2 doesn't have the high range with out getting "fuzzy/distorted" and if I lower everything an octave i lose some of the low notes because the pokey can't play that low of notes. but I'd like to try that gen in another song sometime. =)

It was fun doing this one.

I can't contribute much to this topic, but I LIKE YOUR MUISC ... that's what I wanted to say :) Keep doing cool stuff for the 8bit!!!

\twh

Thanks for the Complement TWH. It's always nice to hear that people like what I'm doing. =)

I noticed that you do not use vibratos in your instruments - why so? They would add some more variability to the sound.

I tend to use them when nessesary and when I do it's a very subtle vibrato. the songs i've been doing i don't think need them. But I do Use Them. =)

Good job, I dont know about these tunes, but I like that I heard.

In anyway, out of this topic, I see you are fast creating music tunes. Could you create a new cover version from MULE original music?

Mule?. Sounds like fun. I'll Work On it. Watch This Thread for The Results. =)

I cant believe how fast you are.

It sounds great!

The drums are very metallics, a Hi-quality drums will be better.

However, sounds good for an one hour work.

How do you are with arranges? Could you change the melody to give another version that anyone could remember the original version, but will be different at the same time?

I cant believe how fast you are.

It sounds great!

The drums are very metallics, a Hi-quality drums will be better.

However, sounds good for an one hour work.

How do you are with arranges? Could you change the melody to give another version that anyone could remember the original version, but will be different at the same time?

so are you asking if i can do a Re-Mix? your translation is a little unclear. sorry. =)

also are you saying that the drums need to be tighter? less sloppy?

Edited by kjmann