IGNORED

Kjmann's RMT Music

Kjmann

Yes, a re-mix!

Last version is just I had waited. Thanks a lot!

However, i'm more slow to code, so when I finish to do it, I'll send you a example. Maybe, then, you could modify the music according the graphics.

Thanks again

Mario

No Problem Mario. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have. let me know. =)

as usual i'd love to hear comments on the musix. the space harrier package is the completed work. it's what will appear in the game. =)

a lot of songs in the KJMANN package are works in progress. i'll finish them up eventually.

super mario is also a work in progress

UPDATE:

Download my songs from my website http://webpages.charter.net/windwar

Edited by kjmann

Wow, profilic stuff - if you every get some spare time then please please please

have a go at the two 'Elite' tunes (they're good under sidplay but could be cleaner).

Last July I'd written a converter to get the game's tracker data into text but

with the notes/octaves mapped as close to the C64 frequencies as possible,

so it may help with settting these up in a tracker.

rockfistus had had a crack at this and came up with the beginnings (a sample

of which is on another machine - I'll post that up later) but didn't complete it.

Regards,

Mark

elite_songs.zip

Edited by Wrathchild

Last July I'd written a converter to get the game's tracker data into text but

with the notes/octaves mapped as close to the C64 frequencies as possible,

so it may help with settting these up in a tracker.

I wonder, how much work it would make, to build an import filter for the pokey trackers.

Particulary RMT?

hmmm.... is this from the GAME elite? If So It doesn't sound like any song from the game that I remember.

as for making an RMT version it would be nice to have some kind of reference to the Score of the Song.

Let me know if i'm way off on the songs origin

Edited by kjmann

No you are right, this IS the C64 version of the classic space trading game 'Elite'

I've taken the SID file and used Sidplay2/w to save them as WAVs.

Then I've used Audacity to convert the WAVs to MP3s and the results

can be picked up on my web area:

http://www.mkeates.f9.co.uk/Atari/Elite_C64_mp3.zip

Both tunes have some nice touches of 'quieter' instruments.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by Wrathchild

OK Wrathchild, Is this kinda what your looking for? Keep in mind that it's not finished yet. i haven't completed the second part of the song yet. and the instruments still need some work. but i hope it's close to what you want. =)

UPDATE:

Edited by kjmann

a NES port, I hadn't considered that... sounds fine so far

though David Whittaker looks to have modified the tune slightly.

If you have experience with the internals of NES music

then I might pick your brains on some bits as I previously

did a version of the Final Fantasy III(j) intro song and

would love to do others from that as well, but would

similarly look to write a program that extracts the tune

from the original binary in a way that can be utilised.

See this thread for the source to that:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57824

Mk_ff3.zip

Those would sound much better if there was a continious fading working in the Background, to make higher notes fading low.

It's a technical fact, that higher notes are louder than lower notes, with pokey.

Also, the listener recognizes a "hit" (the start of the note gives some click) more on higher notes than on lower notes.

a NES port, I hadn't considered that... sounds fine so far

though David Whittaker looks to have modified the tune slightly.

If you have experience with the internals of NES music

then I might pick your brains on some bits as I previously

did a version of the Final Fantasy III(j) intro song and

would love to do others from that as well, but would

similarly look to write a program that extracts the tune

from the original binary in a way that can be utilised.

Actually I Referenced the sid Version. I don't have the nes music. the NES version of Elite was Disappointing to say the least. =) This Is what I came up with from the sid version. I still have more tweaking to do. hope its getting there though.

UPDATE:

Edited by kjmann

excellent work on the FF3 music dude. I'm impressed. I love the music from that game. I was considering doing one myself. of the intro to FF2 <USA VERSION>. I love the strings in it. I working on some instruments that will give me a soft string sound. as emkay has pointed out before, Pokey "YELLS" a lot, so it's been a challenge. lol. I've found that by simply turning the volume down on the instruments that your using can make all the difference in the world. I usually cut the volume by 30 to 40% on all my instruments. usually sounds nicer, especially on a real Atari. I always test everything on my 800XL with the double pokey installed and test for single pokey on my XEGS.

Edited by kjmann

Thanks, the FF tune was a good choice as it only used two voices and so I could use 16-bit on each ;). Most of the others can use 3 or more voices and so would need some clever re-works to do properly on the A8. My next favourite is the battle tune.

That last Elite was great! How do you work so quick?!

Has an Atari sound to it but that we celebrate ;)

A little tweaking to do as you say, bass instrument at the

beginning, but hat-off to your music skills.

Will you do a single Pokey version as well - then I can

integrate it into the Elite intro demo I made, make a

few fixes to the demo and then re-relaese it :).

Regards,

Mark

Edited by Wrathchild

Quote: That last Elite was great! How do you work so quick?!

I'm a Musician. Have Been for 20 years. learned to read music in grade school. =)

Quote: Has an Atari sound to it but that we celebrate ;)

Yes we do indeed! LOL =)

Quote: A little tweaking to do as you say, bass instrument at the

beginning, but hat-off to your music skills.

are you talking about the funky scale climb? if so then yeah, i haven't quite got it yet. It's a bit weird.

Quote: Will you do a single Pokey version as well - then I can

integrate it into the Elite intro demo I made, make a

few fixes to the demo and then re-relaese it :).

I'd be happy too. as long as i get some screen credit for it. =)

Edited by kjmann

I'd just like to say thanks again, Sal. You've saved me many months of messing around and ending up with something not as good. I'm really impressed how close things are to the original now - better than I thought POKEY would be able to do. You and RMT are a great combo! Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Edited by Sheddy

I'd just like to say thanks again, Sal. You've saved me many months of messing around and ending up with something not as good. I'm really impressed how close things are to the original now - better than I thought POKEY would be able to do. You and RMT are a great combo! Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

...I'm just wondering: RMT takes appr. 5 to 10 % of CPU time. Did you reserve this much time for playing music? Especially the Stereo mode songs take nearly double CPU time (maybe 15% or something).

maybe, afterwards, when the tunes are finished, there should be written a faster musicplayer (off course only for the ingame songs)

...I'm just wondering: RMT takes appr. 5 to 10 % of CPU time. Did you reserve this much time for playing music? Especially the Stereo mode songs take nearly double CPU time (maybe 15% or something).

maybe, afterwards, when the tunes are finished, there should be written a faster musicplayer (off course only for the ingame songs)

it's a good point, and I haven't managed to get RMT into the game yet (I've been trying to get it working for a few days now - me using ATasm, not XASM doesn't help!), but the overhead for 4 track songs looks like it won't cause a major problem. You are right about the Stereo mode though - even using a minimal set of RMT features "rmt_feat.a65" for each song and assembling the "optimised player" (see RMT asm_src folder) it does need a lot of CPU time. There probably would be some noticeable slowdown. Until I get the code working in there :mad: I won't know if it's a big problem or not.