IGNORED

Who Picked Up Wii Fit Today?

Tempest

After talking to one of the minions at Best Buy yesterday (I was there to pick up the Indiana Jones soundtrack) I decided that I should probably get there early today if I wanted to have a chance at getting Wii Fit as he said that a lot of people were asking about it. So around 10am when the store opened I quickly drove over there (luckily I work across the street from BB) and saw that there were actually seven or so people already standing in line. I got there right as the doors were opening and managed to get one with no problems, but as I was waiting in the checkout line about ten or so more people came in, all looking for Wii Fit. I asked the door guard how many they got in and he said around 40 and that was the most of any store in the area.

So in the 5 minutes I was in the store they sold about 18-20 Wii Fits. That's pretty amazing. I wonder how many were bought by people who actually wanted to use it and how many were for people who are going to just scalp them on ebay? Either way, I'm glad I didn't wait.

In one of the threads on gamefaqs someone posted a BB coupon for $10 off the game (it was $10 off any game $75 or more), and that coupon worked just fine. So if you're going to get it at BB, look for that coupon.

Tempest

I wasn't desperate to get one, but Target opened at 8:00.

It was on my way to work, so I stopped.

I got there about 10 minutes before the doors opened and there was nobody there which put me first in line although that wasn't my

intent when I woke up this morning.

By 8:00 the line was about 20 deep.

I got mine and they said they only got 15 copies so they probably sold out in a few minutes leaving many empty handed.

The local WalMart opens earlier and a lot of people who showed up at Target were saying that the WalMarts had

sold out instantly.

I actually really liked Yourself Fitness for the Xbox. I have a feeling Wii Fit won't be as good as Yourself Fitness (no scheduled workouts or food menus or way to keep track of what workouts are best for you based on what you did the previous day, etc.) but the gimmick board

will sell a bajillion copies to the Wii folks ... and me ...

But my wife wanted it, and any time she shows interest in a video game, I make sure I

get it, no matter what the hell it is. :)

Yeah I just picked it up right now actually. I drove to Circuit City (at 11am just before lunch), they had like 5 or so, and I bought one. Nothing really dramatic at all :P

I was going to go to CC because I knew they would still have some (everyone seems to forget about them), but I had the $10 coupon for BB so I went there first. I'm pretty sure that by the end of the day that most places will be sold out though. From what I hear, Wii Fit is going to be in short supply for awhile after the initial shipment sells out.

Tempest

On that note.. did all of you pick up your free "Wii Fit DVD" as well? They had them on the counter at Circuit City but didnt mention it to me because they're full of it :P I just saw it by accident to my left while walking out...

On that note.. did all of you pick up your free "Wii Fit DVD" as well? They had them on the counter at Circuit City but didnt mention it to me because they're full of it :P I just saw it by accident to my left while walking out...

Err. No. What was on it?

Tempest

Err. No. What was on it?

Dunno. Haven't opened it...like I said I just got it. I assume though it's just the regular old free promotional video dvd as per usual. I grabbed 2 and probably will shove em in the collection shelves and never even look at them again for another decade or two as per usual again :lol:

post-31-1211388637_thumb.jpg

Err. No. What was on it?

Dunno. Haven't opened it...like I said I just got it. I assume though it's just the regular old free promotional video dvd as per usual. I grabbed 2 and probably will shove em in the collection shelves and never even look at them again for another decade or two as per usual again :lol:

post-31-1211388637_thumb.jpg

I picked one of those up from TRU last week. It's a promo video for WiiFit and answers the question what is Nintendo Wii if you didn't know already.

Wife-unit just called and said that UPS dropped off our WiiFit about 20 min ago. She's already hooked it up, using it, and said she LIKES it.

I purchased my WiiFit from Amazon and it cost me $39.99. Reason: I bought a Toshiba HD DVD player from Amazon for $74.99 back in February and then shortly after I purchased it, Amazon gave everyone who purchased an HD DVD player a $50 credit, good on anything you order. So I used my credit for WiiFit and got it without paying tax or shipping.

Was surprised WiiFit arrived today, though, because usually when you use the Free Shipping option, you get the item about 10 days or more after you order it. But for whatever reason, Amazon shipped it on the 18th via UPS and it arrived today.

Mendon

Not just. I am a healthy weight, but am a runner and need to drop about 10 pounds and lean up to be more competitive for longer distances. In short, I need firming-up type exercises if I'm going to get my times down. Wii Fit is going to be a perfect addition to my training regimen. I know a bunch of other people using it for similar reasons.

Overweight people. :P

Not just. I am a healthy weight, but am a runner and need to drop about 10 pounds and lean up to be more competitive for longer distances. In short, I need firming-up type exercises if I'm going to get my times down. Wii Fit is going to be a perfect addition to my training regimen. I know a bunch of other people using it for similar reasons.

:P = tongue in cheek (in this case)

I wasn't being serious. ;)

I'm fine for weight, but I could definitely excersise more for my health.

And forgive me now, but I love this stupid thing.

The wife does too.

We played (or wii played) for about 3 hours straight last night.

It's addicting as hell.

I can't even explain why.

I'm so disapointed with myself.

Totally off topic here, and completely bizarre, but does Wii hardware have

it's own unique smell?

I remember opening the Wii and thinking it smelled oddly nice.

The same smell hit me when I opened the Wii fit.

(Okay... I'm done being nuts now ... at least in this post...)

Oddly enough I was the fattest person in line when I picked it up. Everyone else was really skinny. Probably resellers...

I think more people are buying this for the "oh that looks like fun" value rather than "I'm fat and need to lose weight". I bought it for both...

Tempest

I think more people are buying this for the "oh that looks like fun" value rather than "I'm fat and need to lose weight".

I dont agree with this for a second. I've heard from about a half dozen folks (most of which care less about video games or the fun that goes with playing them) that are buying this to help them lose weight (One couple was even buying a Wii just for Wii Fit)even you yourself admitted it that what you're using it for.

Middle aged casual gamers (or in other words the majority of Wii owners) don't spend $90 on a video game to have a bit of fun, based on 3rd party game sales most don't even pay $50 for them. They will however spend $100's of dollars if they think they can lose some weight easily. There's even already "lose weight with Wii Fit sites".

http://www.wiiweightlossplan.com/

Wii Fits going to be huge, but it'll be huge because folks want to lose weight first, and have fun doing it. Not the other way around.

Just read the user comments on Amazon if you want to good idea why folks are buying the Wii Fit. ;)

and with my wedding coming up in a few months I wanted to lose some weight.

I've only had my copy of Wii Fit for a few hours, but already I can tell that if any piece of home equipment is ever going to help me get back in shape

I can't say yet whether the Fit will help me lose weight

motivated to lose even more (another 40 pounds) and thought this would be a great way to get in shape AND lose more weight.

Edited by moycon

Wii Fits going to be huge, but it'll be huge because folks want to lose weight first, and have fun doing it.

I hope people can figure out what to do with the millions of Wii Fit boards that will be in total disuse in 6 months or less. I mean at least people can hang their clothes on the bazillion unused treadmills and exercise bikes. :D

I hope people can figure out what to do with the millions of Wii Fit boards that will be in total disuse in 6 months or less. I mean at least people can hang their clothes on the bazillion unused treadmills and exercise bikes. :D

They bought it already and gave their money to Nintendo (I'm a living example). So who cares if they can figure it out or not :P

Wii Fits going to be huge, but it'll be huge because folks want to lose weight first, and have fun doing it.

Doorstop? Paperweight? :lol:

I hope people can figure out what to do with the millions of Wii Fit boards that will be in total disuse in 6 months or less.

Same thing they did with the Ab Lounge, Air Stepper and the Cable Flex.

The disk and case will wind up next to the Tae Bo, Jane Fonda and Sweatin to the Oldies DVDs.

It would be interesting to see some data regarding use 2 months after the initial purchase, but like NE146 said, Nintendo could care less who's using it 2 months after they buy it. ;)

Same thing they did with the Ab Lounge, Air Stepper and the Cable Flex.

Yeah, Ab Lounge - that's the one I was trying to think of. :lol:

Anyhow, no doubt it's a brilliant video game / wishful thinking fitness marketing strategy. Yourself Fitness merged with the insane hype of the Wii.

Yourself Fitness merged with the insane hype of the Wii.

Yourself Fitness was really well done. My girlfriend used it for a few weeks. It was basically the exact same concept but without the board. It wouldn't suprise me in the least to see that game ported to the Wii to try and cash in. I just hope my GF doesnt see it if it does happen, I know she really liked Yourself Fitness, although she's well aware of Wii Fit and has no interest in it mainly because we have piles of dust covered exercise equipment in nooks and crannies all over the house as it is. We do still exercise, but we leave the house and go around the neighborhood, or drive about 3 miles to the local park these days.