IGNORED

Lynx Power Supply on a Game.Com System

Atari Smeghead

Okay, mildly off-topic, I know... :ponder:

Is it okay that I have been using my Lynx power adaptor with my Game.Com system?

The Game.Com has this printed on the back: Adaptor: 9V DC 300mA

while the Lynx adaptor is 9V 1A.

While it works okay, I have noticed that the Game.Com now has several black lines (or missing pixel lines, perhaps) running horizontally across the screen. Is it possible that the extra 700mA has been slowly causing damage to the Game.Com?

Thanks for the help,

Smeg

Hi, it's not likely, the Amperage rating on power supplies are how much they CAN supply, as long as your power supply can supply the same or more power, you should be fine. It's the voltage that you need to match, which it seems like you have.

That's my understanding, but I'm not an electrical engineer.

im an electrical engineer and Shawn is right.

The current is what you powersuply must have.

If you have more Current, its a fine reserve but it dont kills any system. The Voltage Must be correct so you are fine.

If a pixelline is lost it seems that you connection beetween display and electronic or the displey has a failure.

Greatings Matthias

Thanks to both Shawn and Matthias for the replies! :D

I had a feeling that the power supply was not the reason for the display failures, but I just bought a brand new (still in the shrink wrap) Game.Com to replace the ailing one and I wanted to be sure before giving it power.

I suspect the Game.Com was not made all that well, since I've seen a few on eBay with bad displays.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Smeg

Geeze Smeg, you actually play your game.com? I've got two of those things in my collection and I've hardly touched them since I received them... What games do you run on it? I'd love to find something worth using them for... the way I feel about the games I've bothered to try on mine, I'd be more worried about damaging my Lynx Adapter than killing the game.com... :roll:

Edited by jimid2

Geeze Smeg, you actually play your game.com? I've got two of those things in my collection and I've hardly touched them since I received them... What games do you run on it? I'd love to find something worth using them for... the way I feel about the games I've bothered to try on mine, I'd be more worried about damaging my Lynx Adapter than killing the game.com... :roll:

The best game I ever played on my Game.com was Monopoly. Pretty much anything that requires a decent framerate is nearly unplayable on it.

:D Heh... Well, yeah, it's not the best system by any means, but since they only made 20 games for it, it wasn't difficult to complete the collection. That's the primary reason I have it. I orinally bought one when Go Atari had a bunch of auctions. Got most titles cheap.

But in terms of playability, the non-action games (the games that don't tax the system) are pretty good... I enjoy playing Henry, Scrabble, the two Wheel of Fortunes, even games like Frogger and Williams Acrade Classics are fun. It's a unique system with the touch screen, and the voice/sound quality is decent. I use the built-in address book, and it holds high scores for all games in it's memory.

But no, the Game.com does not compare to the Lynx. Tiger tried their hand at the hand-held cartridge-oriented gaming market and didn't fare all that well.

Cheers,

Smeg

When the Game.com first hit the market, I wanted one -- but (fortunately!) it wasn't meant to be. Several years later I did snap one up, and very soon after had its entire library of games to boot. Was I pleased? With the collection, sure - but with the games? No, sir. No, indeed. The Lynx's worst games are still light years ahead of the Game.com's best games.

That said, I did end up passing along an extra (brand-new!) Game.com system to my then-girlfriend in 2004. She loved the damn thing, often waking me up with the racket of her incessant Scrabble playing!! :x