IGNORED

Which CD-i console to get?

Hi all.

I'm looking to get a CD-i sometime. I know it's not most people's favorite system, but I've got my reasons. It seems there were a LOT of variations of this console, due to the nature of the platform... can anyone give me some suggestions as to what I should look for?

I would say the cd-i 450, it's the most console like system, toploader. The front loaders have some problem the loading mechanism. The downside of the 450 is it only has 1 controller port. So 2 player games can't be played. And the remote control isn't wireless.

Make sure the cd-i you buy has the dvc (digital video cartridge) installed so you can play all games.

The downside of the 450 is it only has 1 controller port. So 2 player games can't be played.

How many CD-i Games have a decent two player mode? (Let's ignore the larger issue of 'How likely is it I'll ever meet another person masochistic enough to play CD-i games?')

Looks don't matter to me as much as reliability and functionality.

I actually just got my CDI 450, and it's pretty cool. It looks like a real gaming console. I had originally bought a 220 model off of eGay, but the thing was so huge and clumsy that pieces fell apart during shipping. The 450 is much smaller and won't get damaged as easily. You can use a wireless remote if you have the adapter add on, but it's easier to use the regular game pad. I currently own Kether and 7th Guest, both of which are fairly decent.

Also, the 450 system either has the VCD adapter cart built in, or doesn't have it at all. I do not own any VCD movies to try them out on my 450, but it is also difficult to tell if it is there or not, as there are no free ports to add something like that on. It could be inside the system's body. For the short time that I had my 220 (junk), it had this massive cartridge that slid into the back of the player like some kind of leech. So, if this cart is a standard giant, then the 450 could not possible be big enough to hold it in there.

Edited by iswitt

my first system was the 220 and i found it in the garbage with 2 controllers and 12 games :)

then i got a Goldstar GDI 1000 which is the same as the philips 450

but my favorite is the LG GDI 700M system its alittle bigger than an Xbox but it looks cool

you can see most of the players that have been released here http://www.icdia.co.uk/players/index.html

to figure out which one you might like :)

they also make an I/O splitter to play 2 player games, i have one and its to right of the colorful rollerball controller

but i think it wont work on some Cdi players

post-541-1211497966_thumb.jpg

post-541-1211498037_thumb.jpg

post-541-1211498088_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lemmi

I'm looking to get a CD-i sometime. I know it's not most people's favorite system, but I've got my reasons. It seems there were a LOT of variations of this console, due to the nature of the platform... can anyone give me some suggestions as to what I should look for?

Well, that all depends on what you want. Here's a good list of what's available, I'd say browse through there and see what you like best.

If you just want to play games, then pretty much all of them are equivalent... but be warned that most of the best games require the digital video cartridge, so avoid any model that is not capable of using one (this cuts out a lot of the portable models... though some can use a DVC if you also have a docking station, but don't even bother with that crap). DVC's are relatively easy to find, and cheap... so don't worry too much about finding a system that already has one. Though be aware that there are two different models of DVC, and you have to get the one that matches your system.

I see most people have recommended the 450, but basically for the sole reason that "it looks like a game console". It's a nice small system, but be aware that it has no built-in IR receiver (not a big problem), and the power supply is rather unusual, so make sure you get one WITH the system! Aside from the 450 (as well as a couple of other identical models), they pretty much all look like VCR's. Personally, I kinda like the VCR look, as it helps with stacking systems to save room. I've heard of various quality problems, like drive trays becoming "loose" to the point where they'll slide open if you hold the system the wrong way.

The 2XX, 4XX, 5XX, and 910 are all relatively cheap and available (around $40-50), while the rest are fairly expensive. The portable models and development models are interesting, but quite costly.

How many CD-i Games have a decent two player mode? (Let's ignore the larger issue of 'How likely is it I'll ever meet another person masochistic enough to play CD-i games?')

Not many. And even the ones that are, you probably won't want to play too much. There also exists a splitter so you can plug two controllers into one port (I've never seen one in person, so it's probably quite rare, but they DO exist!).

By the way, if you do get a CD-i, make sure you get a gamepad too... specifically, the one shown in Lemmi's third picture above. It's pretty expensive (goes for about $30-35 on eBay), but the rest of the CD-i controllers are pretty terrible, which probably contributes to people's low opinion of the games available.

--Zero

The 450 that was originally bundled with the dvc cartridge was also known as the 550 model. The system will stay still say that it's the 450 model, but I believe it was packaged as a 550? So they were sold both with and without the dvc cartridge and were marketed as different machines. (At least this is what I remember reading a long time ago). Sometimes on ebay you will see CD-i 450s w/ dvc cartridge marked as 550s or just 450s w/dvc cartridge. They are the same and that's the model to get.

I also have a Philips cdi-220. It's a matchline class cd-i player. Matchline is a line of high quality products from the philips brand.

Haven't hooked it up yet so i don't know how it plays.

The cd-i 450 was indeed sold as a 550 with built in dvc.

Both my 450, i have a philips and a magnavox one have the dvc all ready built in.

Haven't checked the 220. Since they where developed in my home country, the netherlands, it's pretty easy to find cd-i stuff.

As with the controllers, i also like the one shown in Lemmi's picture. But i also like the gravis "dog-bone" version that can be used with both left and right handed people.

Not many. And even the ones that are, you probably won't want to play too much. There also exists a splitter so you can plug two controllers into one port (I've never seen one in person, so it's probably quite rare, but they DO exist!).

By the way, if you do get a CD-i, make sure you get a gamepad too... specifically, the one shown in Lemmi's third picture above. It's pretty expensive (goes for about $30-35 on eBay), but the rest of the CD-i controllers are pretty terrible, which probably contributes to people's low opinion of the games available.

--Zero

they have 2 player games that alternate turns but not many that both can play at the same time against eachother

ive known one other person who had a CDi when he was growing up i think we played battleship and mystic midway a couple of times then we got bored :) he used the rollerball controller for the midway game and he kicked my butt i hated that thing :D

i got my gamepad new in the box for $35 shipped back in 2004 might be more now

But i also like the gravis "dog-bone" version that can be used with both left and right handed people.

i have or had one of those also (i cant find it) the problem with it for me was that the buttons were to deep to do the rolling thumb move like you do with the NES controllers but still alot better than the remotes

i had a friend who bought one of those top loaders like the 450 (i cant remember the model) but when he would play movies in it the disc would heat up and stick to the lid when he switched CDs and it smudged the CD art he sent me pics of it and it was the oddest thing ive seen so far with a CDi system

here is a closer shot of the Splitter i have - it might only work with philips CDi's i read somewhere people had problems getting it to work on some systems, i think i tried to use it on my LG 700 system and it didnt work, its been so long since i tried i might be wrong tho :)

post-541-1211659745_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lemmi

I just got a NIB 450 on epay for £10

Does anyone know what the part number for the dvc, or where to get hold of one.

Thanks

model number

22ER9956

http://www.icdia.co.uk/accesories/dv.html

its the 2nd picture on that page

Thanks, as luck would have it the only dvc on epay uk is the model I need (now mine :D )

When you say "built in", is it literally soldered to the board? Or just pre-installed?

As with the controllers, i also like the one shown in Lemmi's picture. But i also like the gravis "dog-bone" version that can be used with both left and right handed people.

I have one of the original Gravis Gamepads that were made for the PC. They're incredibly common around here, but Gravis was a Canadian company, so I don't know how it was in other parts of the world. At the time, it was one of the only actual gamepads for PC's... everything else being horrible analog joysticks with trimmer pots and such. I don't care much for it myself, and find the other CD-i gamepad to be superior.

Here's the PC version:

gravis-pc_game_pad.jpg

i had a friend who bought one of those top loaders like the 450 (i cant remember the model) but when he would play movies in it the disc would heat up and stick to the lid when he switched CDs and it smudged the CD art he sent me pics of it and it was the oddest thing ive seen so far with a CDi system

:-o :-o :-o

Wow. I've only watched two movies on my 450, but I definitely don't recall anything like that happening!

--Zero

It is pre-installed.

Gravis was in the netherlands also a big name in pc hardware.

I also have one or two of the controllers for my pc. There's also a ps2 like controller for the pc.

Gravis also sold the ultrasound soundcards for the pc. Back then they where better then the soundblaster cards.