IGNORED

ATARI 8 Bit Desktop Does one exist or not?

Sean39

(snip...)

As about the desktops, the TRS Desktop is the only one I saw that actually works. The rest, if they're finished at all, are less or more crap (slow, unstable, and ugly). Diamond GOS has crashed after I played a while, but this might have been the fault of badly "updated" ROM image (it was a flashcart version homemade by someone, and apparently not working well, so I cannot judge).

Has anyone tried any of these desktops using the emulator? I'd think the extra speed would help. Couple that with 64- or 80-columns and a mouse, and some of these could get more useful.

And speaking of 64 columns, has anyone tried SDX 4.41 with it's 64 and 80-column console (E:) devices? Very, very nice.

-Larry

How do you get the 64 and 80 col modes in SDX? I know about the XEP80 driver.

Stephen Anderson

(snip...)

As about the desktops, the TRS Desktop is the only one I saw that actually works. The rest, if they're finished at all, are less or more crap (slow, unstable, and ugly). Diamond GOS has crashed after I played a while, but this might have been the fault of badly "updated" ROM image (it was a flashcart version homemade by someone, and apparently not working well, so I cannot judge).

Has anyone tried any of these desktops using the emulator? I'd think the extra speed would help. Couple that with 64- or 80-columns and a mouse, and some of these could get more useful.

And speaking of 64 columns, has anyone tried SDX 4.41 with it's 64 and 80-column console (E:) devices? Very, very nice.

-Larry

I've done ATOS with an emulator. Work great.

Miker, the TKS desktop looks interesting...

TRS (Tristesse group), not TKS :). According to Atariki it is written in compiled Turbo Basic, but with assembler subroutines for key procedures (icons drawing, 80 colums text mode and mouse support).

Minimal requirements:

CPU 6502

SIO2PC

128 kB RAM

SpartaDOS X 4.20

300 kB free disc space

Comfortable requirements:

CPU 65C816

KMK/JŻ IDE/IDEa hard disc interface, CF adapter/CF

1024 kB RAM

SpartaDOS X >= 4.31

ARC clock (by Pasiu SSG)

1 MB free disc space

In fact, BOSS-X is slower (not compiled Turbo-BASIC) ... But my minimal requirements are:

128kB and a Diskdrive or 64kB and two Diskdrives

-no free space on disk needed (exept for saving Icons on the Desktop)

-no SpartaDOS-Cart needed

-compatible to Turbo-BASIC, most ATARI-BASIC-Apps (not Games, TB is to fast)

-in cooperation with MyDOS compatible with many machine-language-programs (apps/games)

BOSS-X is that what the Linux-Community would call "OpenSource" (ok, nearly any BASIC-program is OpenSource by default), so anyone can modify BOSS-X and anyone can write own BOSS-X apps.

TRS-Desk Alpha is still Closed-Source. Somebody wrote, that the beta-source will be released, but that was years ago. Since then, there seems to be no life-sign from TRS.

BOSS-X is that what the Linux-Community would call "OpenSource" (ok, nearly any BASIC-program is OpenSource by default), so anyone can modify BOSS-X and anyone can write own BOSS-X apps.

TRS-Desk Alpha is still Closed-Source. Somebody wrote, that the beta-source will be released, but that was years ago. Since then, there seems to be no life-sign from TRS.

Being able to merely view source doesn't suffice. If one can freely and legally modify and re-distribute relying solely on the included license then the code in question is Open Source. There are some other attributes like not restricting platforms or fields of endeavor but the legal ability to modify and redistribute is core. I picked around atarixl.de and was only able to find the vague term "freeware" as far as licensing goes although that generally means "free to use" as opposed to "free to hack on".

Somebody wrote, that the beta-source will be released, but that was years ago. Since then, there seems to be no life-sign from TRS.

And what "life sign" do you expect? The Desktop has been written and released (in binary form), it works, and the decision whether to release the source is up to the authors.

And what "life sign" do you expect? The Desktop has been written and released (in binary form), it works, and the decision whether to release the source is up to the authors.

But it is still called an alpha-release. no beta, no final ... still no own homepage (except from the screenshots, far away from the download-section) ...

The homepage should appear at atari8.info

Btw. BOSS-X is PD.

Edited by atarixle

Well the main reason the XE was not further developed was the ST. The 520ST had 512k, a GUI built in and that was the direction the Tramiels wanted to in. The XE was mainly a vehicle to jumpstart the revenue for them.

But it is still called an alpha-release. no beta, no final ... still no own homepage (except from the screenshots, far away from the download-section) ...

The homepage should appear at atari8.info

Well, tell them this! I am sure the TRS would appreciate your feedback and it could stimulate them to setup the home page etc.

Well, tell them this! I am sure the TRS would appreciate your feedback and it could stimulate them to setup the home page etc.

This is not my suggestion. That was announced by the TRS-Authors: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=996480

The Alfa-Release is two years ago: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1038888

Maybe they think that nobody cares. If you do, tell them. If "that's not your suggestion", then I don't know what you're talking about. You wanted a "life sign", so what's a better method of invoking the desired life sign than mailing the author(s) of the program in question? That is called feedback, you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Yes I was on medications for migraine head aches caused by a a car wreck that killed my wife ,and the rest of my family except my daughter.

Now to the Atari 130EX Computer....Now my Atari 130XE is all original right now ,and it came out of the box. So this computer is like a brand new computer

that has never been used. I even still have the Waranty card and everything that came with the computer when bought brand new.

I have not upgraded the memory yet....

Now I have seen BOSS X Desktop mention and the TRS Desktop.... Are these the two best one out there for the Atari 130XE computer.

Which one is the best one for me to get???? I want a nice desktop for my daughter to use on the computer..... I am going to get her

Atari Word 80 for her word processor and a nice printer....Well I just need help on setting the Atari 130XE so it can be the very best computer

for her. Thanks everyone........Now will I need the extra memory for these Desktops????

Thanks ,

Sean39

HI Guys

I need some help on this one. Which Desk top do I need to get???? The BOSS X or the TRS Desktop??? If neither on these two please let me

Know Which one.......I am trying to get this computer set up for my daughter....

Thanks

Sean39

If you want to set up the computer for your daugther, I assume, you will give her this machine for playing games. Usually, there are many boot-loaders, that make a desktop unnecessary. So your daugther has not to type in filenames or hasn't to know, how to use a DOS.

In most cases: put in the floppy into the drive, switch on the Computer, and the game will run.

If you will set up an Atari 130XE computer with one Floppy-Drive, try BOSS-X. If you install BOSS-X on a MyDOS-Disk, you will be able to start many (possibly most) machine-language DOS-based games. BOSS-X can be used with a Joystick (may be usefull, if you want your daugther to start games).

You can create Desktop-Icons for the games on each disk, so your daugther doesn't need to type in the filename.

btw., you have a floppy-disk-drive?

Edited by atarixle

HI

I am going to get an XF551 drive for it real soon. Right now I only have the tape drive XC12 for the XE computers. I have a broken 1050 drive

so it does me no good right now. I am trying to get the 130XE computer set up with all the correct matching devices for it. Yes I have a large amount

of educational software for it that she can use soon as I get a working disk drive. I was told to get the XF551 drive for the 130XE computer.

Well that where I am at right now.

Thanks ,

Sean39