IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Flash Cartridge - need software

RGB_Gamer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

ok I bought this flash card from RGB and he swears it works but I have had no luck. A couple questions that you guys might be able to answer.

1> When I turn on the atari with the flash cart in the power stays on like it registers the cart but i get no video output. My TV says NO SIGNAL altho the power light is solid. Should there be a BLANK screen when the flash card is on? Im trying to follow the directions but when I get to the part where it is supposed to say "erasing rom" on the TV through the jaguar I still have NO SIGNAL on my TV.

2> Is there a way to figure out which port my serial is on? Can i go to the hardware profile and figure out which -p0 -p1 -p2 im supposed to be using for sure?

3> finally im using userport on winxp. has anyone had success using this?

primeform,

I know you are pissed about the cart not working for you, but just as I was in a similar situation as you, and I assure you it was working up until the point where I stopped using it. I want to help you to resolve this.

1) what does your PC screen say when you get to the point where it is supposed to be erasing the cart? I seem to vaguely remember the screen being black up until the point where it tells you on the PC screen to press some buttons. Also, what is on the screen when you just turn the jaguar on with the cart in and nothing connected to the parallel port? Have you tried sending something to the cart with the jaguar powered off ?

2) what do you mean, "which port your serial is on" ? Are you using a 25 pin male to 25 pin male PARALLEL PORT cable? In order to find out what address that your parallel port is using, you have to find out in the BIOS on your computer. Usually, it's 378, and there are usually also options for EPP, BiDirectional, and ECP. When you go to your BIOS, what does it say about your parallel port?

Also, is the Parallel Port on your computer built into the mother board? As it was stated before in this thread, use a real parallel port adapter. Meaning, not an add on card (or in the case of a laptop, not a PCMCIA card or whatever).

3. It is really suggested and implied that you use something other than XP, such as 98/95 or DOS. I know you are not getting any signal with this thing turned on, but you'll never know unless you use something other than XP.

Can you tell me, can you show an example of a command line are you inputting?

Edited by RGB_Gamer

primeform,

I dug up an old text file from the guy that sold me the flash cart originally. Here it is:

1) Get the DOS based "flash.exe" program loaded. Then you type in the name something to the effect of "flash bubsy.jag -p1 -d800000" and hit enter. You generally want the program and the flash program in the same folder or at least I did to make it easier. -p is for the printer port (-p0, -p1, or -p2). -d is the load address, -d800000 for encoded games and -d802000 for unencoded games. If you are using a PC that is something other than DOS, Win95 or Win98 you will need to look for a program called "Userport" to get the parallel port to work from the command shell in places like WinXP.

2) After hitting enter and all goes right, the program will prompt you to hold down "3" on the Jaguar controller. At this point you should have the Jaguar already fired up, with the flash cart in the slot and the parallel cord connected from the Jaguar to the PC.

3) Hold down 3 on the Jaguar controller on joyport 1, and hit enter on the PC keyboard. The Jaguar's screen, which has been blank up to this point, should say "Erasing". At which point you can release the 3 on the jaguar controller. The flash cart erases, then then screen changes from green background to blue background as it lets you know that the screen will be blank again for a minute

On the PC you see the program load as the numbers fly by. When it all done on the PC and Jaguar monitor it lets you know that the flash process was a success. The PC resets the Jaguar remotely and starts up the program on your Jaguar without you having to turn it off, unplug the parallel cable or anything.

I had a lot of trouble getting my flash cart to work at first, but since I was patiently walked through the process, so I would like to get help get others through the process as well. So let me know where you are getting hung up.

Hi primeform!

It's long ago since I used a flash cart. I sold mine years ago. But I'll still try to share what I remember.

It always was a bit tricky to upload to the flash cart, however I figured it out after a few tries.

Sometimes I had to upload twice, but it eventually worked.

When using Windows XP you certainly need a tool to allow access to the parallel port. You could also try dosbox, but I am not entirely sure if it allows it. I used a tool called porttalk / allowio for BJL transfers later though.

When you run the flash cart and the image on it is bad (bad transfer, wrong image, whatever) it should give you a black screen. There is no Jaguar boot screen. However depending on your tv possibly, you *should* get a (black) picture, at least on "tube" tvs.

Regards, Lars.

Hi primeform!

It's long ago since I used a flash cart. I sold mine years ago. But I'll still try to share what I remember.

It always was a bit tricky to upload to the flash cart, however I figured it out after a few tries.

Sometimes I had to upload twice, but it eventually worked.

When using Windows XP you certainly need a tool to allow access to the parallel port. You could also try dosbox, but I am not entirely sure if it allows it. I used a tool called porttalk / allowio for BJL transfers later though.

When you run the flash cart and the image on it is bad (bad transfer, wrong image, whatever) it should give you a black screen. There is no Jaguar boot screen. However depending on your tv possibly, you *should* get a (black) picture, at least on "tube" tvs.

Regards, Lars.

thanks lars for the encouragement. do you remember the TV screen saying anything when you started the download? If I didnt install a program to access the parallel port would I even be able to get to the part where it transfers the data? Is there any way to test if its actually pushing data through the port?