IGNORED

Screenshots and Vids FromTempest Xtreem

Kjmann

We Had considered that at first. but like I said. pete did such a good job on the joystick routine that we didn't see the need. be sides if we used a driving controller , we would have to make a special one with a second button. As it is now you pull down for the superzapper.

It's a computer. Use the spacebar.

It's a computer. Use the spacebar.

Great. And what about all those people who have XEGS's with no keyboard? or people who have a keyboard that is going bad on them?

The reason we chose this is so EVERYONE could play this game no matter the machine and no mater the controller they use.

The only thing we weren't able to do was make it run on a 48k machine. (sorry all you 800 guys out there) we needed more memory.

I seriously doubt any of you will be disappointed in the control and playability in this game. I'm a gamer. So I have personally made sure the game control is just right. I've seen way too many games in the past that look cool but the control sucks. I won't let that happen here. Or to any of the games AGG makes for that matter.

By the way: I am looking for play testers right now. send me a PM to let me know who is interested. =)

Edited by kjmann

:?

Will you support people who have RAM going bad on them too? I would think a working machine is not an unreasonable minimum requirement.

let's not get silly here. after all, an XEGS without a keyboard is not damaged. I't's just missing a piece that people used to throw away or lose when they bought them. as for damaged keyboards, not everyone was blessed with the "good" keyboards. some got stuck with the POS's that were nothing but trouble.

also I think it hurts game play when you have to take a hand off the joystick to hit the space bar.

also bryan, here is a movie of more detailed movement of the claw. when you see the claw crawling i'm just tapping the joystick to the side once for every position movement.

this movie also shows the "Shot You!" animation

Edited by kjmann

Great. And what about all those people who have XEGS's with no keyboard? or people who have a keyboard that is going bad on them?

I don't know why one of the few remaining A8 enthusiasts who would be in the market for a homebrew would not have a machine with a functional keyboard. It's not a very useful machine without one.

By the way: I am looking for play testers right now. send me a PM to let me know who is interested. =)

What happens if the playtesters don't like the control? It sounds to me like you'll just say you know what's best and ignore them.

let's not get silly here. after all, an XEGS without a keyboard is not damaged. I't's just missing a piece that people used to throw away or lose when they bought them. as for damaged keyboards, not everyone was blessed with the "good" keyboards. some got stuck with the POS's that were nothing but trouble.

also I think it hurts game play when you have to take a hand off the joystick to hit the space bar.

I think it's a warning sign if multiple people are asking for something they feel is important to them, something that is clearly doable (and not mutually exclusive with what you want), and you are digging in your heels and denying them on the basis of "I know what is right for you". There is really no sense in opening the game up for playtesting if every critique is met with these defensive rationalizations.

Compare your approach to Chris over in the Juno First thread for a contrast. He made certain judgment calls in isolation about the gameplay which he felt pretty strongly about, but were not well received. The biggest one I can think of is that he wanted to remove the ability to start on higher waves. This would have rendered the game devoid of any variations, requiring a long slog for experienced players to ramp through the difficulty. But through the process of discussing the pros and cons he's now planning to leave that feature in and somehow reconcile how the high scores should weigh things. Having a fruitful give and take with playtesters is nearly as important as raw coding skills.

Edited by mos6507

They are spending their free time to do the game, so it's up to them what and if they implement features... my 2 cents as coder... has nothing to do with "I know what is better"...

maybe it has more impact than we all know...so...

Thank you heaven and Philsan.

Bottom line is that we are not going to implement a feature for a driving controller. So the concern for the space bar option is pointless. the joystick control is wonderful and easy to use. playability is at an all time high on this game.

Instead of complaining that it's not being done the way you want, Why not try the game 1st with the control we've done and see what you think? you never know, you might like it. =)

I had a discussion with pete last night and we have decided to release a DEMO version of the game.

it will be playable through levels of our choice and have no bonus round or title screen.

it will not have the digital sounds implemented either.

This demo however, will give you a good feel for how the game plays.

look for it soon. =)

Thankyou for taking interest in Tempest Xtreme. I have read some of the messages regarding this project. Now to let everyone know we are working on this project in our spare time and has taken several months to come to this point. We had discussed several controller options, but decided to use the joystick because it is very common. The only other device that has been considered are the paddle controllers, but those only had one fire button and could not go in a continuous loop. Other controller options has been set aside because we have to conserve some memory space and we would like to move onto other projects very soon.