IGNORED

Excite Truck

AtariJr

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet heavenly hashbrowns, this game is absolutely terrible! What happened to the control? IS there any?! I could forgive the somewhat sterile graphics if it weren't for the unresponsive gameplay and that utterly detestable cock rock soundtrack, but when the nitrous button seems to work only at the game's discretion and cranking the damn remote yields only frustration, well, you start to wonder how far you could cram the disc down the lead developer's throat... or any other available orifices.

JR

No, if you turn the wheel too much in Excitetruck, you just STOP steering! It's frustrating to turn the wheel too far in one direction, then desperately try to steer in the opposite direction only to lose control and plow straight into a tree, or deep water, or a castle wall.

You get used to it. It really is like learning to drive again. At first you oversteer like a maniac, but once you get the hang of it you realize that it takes only the slightest motions to steer the truck in the direction you want. Despite all the jokes, Rad Racer control will not work here. :P

(Then again, it didn't work in Rad Racer, either. :lol:)

Heh, my bad! I figured out what was going on after looking through the instruction manual. I was rotating the Wiimote like a steering wheel, when I should have been holding it like a handlebar and tilting it. As you might imagine, that makes the control a whole lot better!

Now I'm starting to warm up to the game, although the overabundance of trees and the cheapness of the CPU-controlled trucks is enough to make me pull out what little remains of my hair. Not fourth place AGAIN! Arrgh!

JR

• 3 months later...

Since I am playing this game, and recently got Excitebike 64 for the first time, I thought it was fair enough to compair them. I must say, that for a game that was ranked in the 9's , excitebike is reaaaally freakin boring compaired to the wii game. its good, i mean dont get me wrong. but i was kinda expecting some more air, and getting points for stuff like in Exite Truck. Its still arcady as you dont perform like a real bike, but i found it almost yawn enducing. i think its ironic that excite truck only ranked in the 8;s (which is still pretty good) but it is SO much better, and so much more addicting.

any thoughts on which you liked better. maybe this is hard for me to judge as i never owned excitebike 64 when it came out ( i played it in a kiosk and thought it was boring... ironically i still think its boring lol). i know there must be SOMETHING that makes this game merit such high praise.. but man, its hard to find it. if this is excite bike, im glad them made excite truck instead of an excite bike sequal for the wii.

I never really liked the Excite Bike 64 version but the NES copy can capture your attention for a good half hour before it gets repetitive. Personally I think the new Excite Truck for the Wii is the best out of the series. I just finished unlocking everything and getting S class on all the tracks. The end vehicle

The kick butt CrAzY monster truck

is awesome. Still play Excite Truck even after finishing it. If only it had online play...

Well...Excite Bike is an excellent game. Excite Bike 64 was just a crappy motocross game with bad graphics, bad control, and just generally nothing redeemable about it, like so many 2D to 3D conversions on the N64. :)

Excite Truck is cool but i haven't played it in a few months...need to get back on that one of these days.

yea.. i know it has a track editor.. but i just cant get into the game. people say the game is beautiful.. im sorry, but for a 64 game its average at best. the sense of speed , well, is shit compaired to excite truck, and its just not fun. i love being able to go a bazillion miles an hour and turn easily in excite truck instead of going 10 miles an hour and running into a wall. its a fun racer.. but very very very average.. nothing to give a 9 or 10/10 on.

its funny so far the reaction to excitebike 64 here is the same to mine, and yet it was touted so much then and even now. what gives? everyone was so mad when it was excite truck and not excite bike... personally, good riddens to the bike, hello truck!

its funny so far the reaction to excitebike 64 here is the same to mine, and yet it was touted so much then and even now. what gives? everyone was so mad when it was excite truck and not excite bike... personally, good riddens to the bike, hello truck!

Yeah, an N64 game (a motocross game to boot!) that sucks. Will wonders never cease? Case closed. :D

Yeah, an N64 game (a motocross game to boot!) that sucks. Will wonders never cease? Case closed. :D

well hey i loved the 64 , and i have many good games for it... and my favorite genre is racing, so i just kinda expected more, especially since excite truck is techically the same series and its the most played game on the wii for me.

• 2 weeks later...

well sadly tonight i beat all the tracks on Mirror mode with Superior ratings and got the Super Monster Truck, still have yet to try it but ill post as soon as i toy with it a bit. i knew that there wasnt anything past mirror mode, but this has been practically 80% of the play time on my wii, its just sad to see its all complete. anyone know about maybe a sequal? i like this game so much now, and there arent any goals to complete which really had me hooked for so long, im kinda at a loss as to what to do.

if they did make an excite truck 2, it would be nice to see an online scoreboards at least. that way when you beat the game you coudl at least try to outdo others around. any one else beat the game with superior on every track in all classes?

EDIT: wow, the truck is always boosting and invisible. and its light as a feather! i think im in the air more than im on the ground lol... kinda feels a bit cheap, but i guess theres a challenge in the fact i have to break now while in the air in order to come down before the turn and not go into the face of a mountain. its almost harder in a way. sure the super truck smashes come with ease now, but its hard to actually get all the little things that give you points. that and the fact that since your always invinsible you have to wait a VERY long time before your tree run meter starts up again after hitting a tree.

EDIT2: looking at my best stunts to see if i could top some of them maybe. well i dont think i can outdo my true run. apparently i had 50 tree runs on canada winding road track :). i think for now ill get the remanding trophies.

Wow, I salute you sir.

I got too frustrated to play any more after I beat the moon level, but would -reallllly- like to see a sequel.

keep playing, the later levels are really the meat of the game. the first round just seems like a warm up now. but yea, this is one of the VERY few games thus far id want to see a sequel for, i agree.

I stopped playing this game a couple months ago. I can't seem to unlock the super exite mode (i think that's what it was). Can't seem to get enough points (stars??) to move on.....Still think it's a great game and do hope for a sequel (or even bring back exitebike). And give us a track editor next time...... :)

I stopped playing this game a couple months ago. I can't seem to unlock the super exite mode (i think that's what it was). Can't seem to get enough points (stars??) to move on.....Still think it's a great game and do hope for a sequel (or even bring back exitebike). And give us a track editor next time...... :)

you need to get Superior class on every track to get the next cup. then do that on the next one to get Mirror Class. Hope that helps ya

I've just picked it up again (after getting the component cable and changing my TV, looks great now). Man, this is a fun game. Just at the Platinum level of Super Excite now, can't wait to see the next tracks (don't tell me what they are) but the dificulty is really ramping up now. They pitched it JUST right.

I know when I finish it, I'm just gonna play it again.

you need to get Superior class on every track to get the next cup. then do that on the next one to get Mirror Class. Hope that helps ya

Oh, okay I see now. I'll have to get back into the game and try it out. :)

Oh, okay I see now. I'll have to get back into the game and try it out. :)

Also, I recommend that you try out different trucks for different levels. Raw speed isn't everything.Sometimes you need better grip and airtime. Fiji, for example, is difficult to get an S class on unless you use the venerable Alpine truck. You may feel like you're running around in a Geo Tracker (complete with engine whine! :P), but its lighter frame will really help you hit those Super Rings and Super Air Jumps. Not to mention the better handling will let you pick your path rather than sliding into whichever one is straight ahead.

So mess around a bit and find what works on different levels. I've been playing it all weekend (my wife gave it to me as an anniversary gift) and I've gotten all the way to the Super Excite/Silver Cup/China level. Which I have to say, is a #$!% hard level to get past. I'm experimenting with shortcuts by jumping off the side of the track before the big bend, landing on the knoll, then jumping again to get back on the track, but it's incredibly hard to execute the maneuver. And I haven't even gotten into anything better than third place! :x

Crazy, insane, wonderful game. :D