IGNORED

can krokodile carts be found

pinelands

I wouldn't sell my Krok for $500. Not for $1,000. While the saying is true that everyone has their price, I don't know what mine would be. I'd have to be pretty desperate for money to part with my Krok. In fact:

My wife and I are purchasing our first home. I've sold a lot of my non-Atari stuff already, and it's possible I might have to sell off my collection of carts. Thanks to my Krok, I'll still be able to play 99% of the VCS library, so I can't see myself parting with it.

I wouldn't sell my Krok for $500. Not for $1,000. While the saying is true that everyone has their price, I don't know what mine would be. I'd have to be pretty desperate for money to part with my Krok. In fact:

My wife and I are purchasing our first home. I've sold a lot of my non-Atari stuff already, and it's possible I might have to sell off my collection of carts. Thanks to my Krok, I'll still be able to play 99% of the VCS library, so I can't see myself parting with it.

I was thinking "No way" at $400. I might have to think about it at $1000 though. :ponder:

Will Chimera support all known bankswitching types?

Yes, although some of the new ones being created for homebrews present some challenges to implement.

Some more questions:

1) Will it support Pitfall 2? Most (all?) of the other multicarts I'm aware of can't.

2) Can the firmware be updated to account for new developments in bankswitching?

Edited by Frotz

1) Will it support Pitfall 2? Most (all?) of the other multicarts I'm aware of can't.

I did discuss this with Delicon. The new Chimera environment is conceived as kind of an extension to the DPC in Pitfall II, but using the brute force of the ARM rather than custom hardware to do it. So while it's probably not possible directly run it off the CPLD, it may be possible to simulate it in conjunction with the ARM. It's just been a really low priority given that so many other things need to be done. If he feels motivated maybe he'll circle back and try to add it between the time the cart goes into beta and when it's officially released.

2) Can the firmware be updated to account for new developments in bankswitching?

Yes. The CPLD banking schemes can be updated as well as the ARM firmware itself. This is going to change the most during the beta program. The native Chimera environment, when all is said and done, will appear very much to a 2600 program like a full blown operating system. So there is a lot of work to be done in standardizing a flexible API for new homebrews. Delicon also wants to see if he can move a lot of the banking scheme logic into the ARM itself which will reduce the need to reprogram the CPLD during game loads. As it is now, all the banking schemes are split across multiple core files so depending on which game you pick, you're potentially looking at an ~8 second wait while it sets up the proper CPLD core and then jumps into the game. The only way to get them all on one chip would have been to use an FPGA. Avoiding an FPGA is a big part of how we're able to keep the price of the cartridge down.

That's probably a lot more than you needed to know, but it's just to show that when you buy a Chimera it will be sort of like buying a Sega 32X that also functioned as a Genesis multicart, but before there were any 32X games finished yet. But it's cheap enough that the new games can probably be offered on cart like Starfox with the SuperFX chip. It's just that regardless of whether it's a standalone Chimera or a Chimera sold with a game preloaded on it, it's going to use the same board. Even the most cost-reduced embedded Chimera should be able to run any legacy game, just not deluxe Chimera games. So the upside here is that given enough time and enough homebrew titles written for Chimera, there will likely be more in circulation than both Cuttle Carts and Krokos combined, surpassed only by the Supercharger. So that would certainly solve the problem of supplying 2600 multicarts forever.

3) Where can I read more on this project?

I'm posting periodic updates on my blog.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...blogid=103&

Edited by mos6507

:D Sounds Bitchin' Man! :cool: I can't afford a Cuttlecart 1 or 2 or a Krokodile cart right now, if I could find one for sale when I have the extra green. I think the Chimera cart will be awesome and I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm following your posts and blog with anticipation. Hope this project makes it to market here.

:)

Edited by ovalbugmann