IGNORED

A bit skeptical on the whole dishwasher thing...

27ace27

I wouldn't use a dishwasher. There are reasons why some things aren't labeled "dishwasher safe".

If it's really that dirty, just take it apart, and soak it in a sink full of hot water with a little bit of dishwashing liquid. If you leave it in there long enough, the dirt will come off.

Simple Green™ and a soft toothbrush also works very well for removing dirt, grease and crud.

It'd probably work really good in a dishwasher, but I wouldn't do it cause I think I'd just about puke thinking about washing my dishers in there next.

The best thing to use is Lysol Foam Cleaner. Take the unit apart, put it in the bathtub and spray the foam cleaner on thick. It'll slowly disolve down and then rinse it off in the tub and you are done. It does an amazing job.

In all honesty, I've done a few 2600's in the Dishwasher. I picked up a few 2600's at the Flea Market and they were CAKED with dirt. I put the top halves on the top rack and set it to air dry. They came out REALLY clean (and spot free too!). I didn't do the bottoms, because of the stickers on the bottom.

It'd probably work really good in a dishwasher, but I wouldn't do it cause I think I'd just about puke thinking about washing my dishers in there next.

What do you mean next? I throw my dirty atari in along WITH my dishes.

Saves energy that way. ;)

The best thing to use is Lysol Foam Cleaner. Take the unit apart, put it in the bathtub and spray the foam cleaner on thick. It'll slowly disolve down and then rinse it off in the tub and you are done. It does an amazing job.

Lysol foam cleaner huh? I never would of tried that. DO you still have to really get in the grooves with a brush, or does it really just rinse away? DO you put something over the Serial sticker or just leave it as is?

the dishwasher is safe for your shell. as phuzzed said, i wouldn't put the bottom in if i wanted to keep the sticker, but it is safe for the top. just don't use the heated dry when you do it, so as not to warp or damage the top of your case.

Lysol foam cleaner huh? I never would of tried that. DO you still have to really get in the grooves with a brush, or does it really just rinse away? DO you put something over the Serial sticker or just leave it as is?

No you don't want to get any on the sticker. It'd be like getting the sticker wet with anything. The good thing is its foam so it is easy to control where you spray it. As it dissolves it turns into liquid so have the bottom upside down and it all runs away from the sticker. You'll fiqure it out.

And yeah it does an amazing job on caked dirt. Saved me a few hours of scrubbing when I did a bunch of units at once. After the foam dissolves you run it under some warm water in the tub and poof!

Now you can also take a toothbrush to the grooves while you are running it under the water if you like to give it that final polish. But in all seriousness you can expect to do that for less then a minute if you choose at all. If you do want to use a toothbrush the time to use it is after the foam cleaner has done its work and while you are rinsing it off. Dry the grooves with a Q-tip or something.

In all honesty, I've done a few 2600's in the Dishwasher. I picked up a few 2600's at the Flea Market and they were CAKED with dirt. I put the top halves on the top rack and set it to air dry. They came out REALLY clean (and spot free too!). I didn't do the bottoms, because of the stickers on the bottom.

Let me guess--you got them at Mary's. I got my light sixer there, and it, too was covered in years of crud. I took Ajax dishwashing liquid and a soft toothbrush to the case, and it cleaned right up.

My question is:

Does the top come off real easily? The problem with me is that when I take things apart, I tend to not be able to put them back together and end up ruining it. I was never very mechanically/electronically inclined, and my wife can attest to the fact that I AM NOT a handyman in any sense of the word..

In my case, it would probably be better just to leave it in one piece and clean the exterior case, right?

-Steve

My question is:

Does the top come off real easily? The problem with me is that when I take things apart, I tend to not be able to put them back together and end up ruining it. I was never very mechanically/electronically inclined, and my wife can attest to the fact that I AM NOT a handyman in any sense of the word..

In my case, it would probably be better just to leave it in one piece and clean the exterior case, right?

-Steve

It's just a few screws, and a cable that plugs in for the audio/video. Not too bad at all...

Well, if that's the case..........I suppose I could manage it. I'm still leary as my track record for things electronic isn't very good. I can manage to replace memory in a PC, so MAYBE I can attempt this while the wife is away for a bit. I'm trying to save projects so I don't get too bored.

Steve