IGNORED

Warlords - XBL Arcade

HammR25

I tried the demo and did not like it at all. The controls were garbage - don't they realize the 360 has an analog stick? Not to mention the demo gives you a whopping 30 seconds of play time to decide if you like it or not. How chintzy is that? The "remix" mode was okay, though personally I would have preferred they stayed with the medieval theme. But that's minor in the face of crappy controls. I'll stick with the 2600 version, there's no reason to spend $5 on this pile.

I really liked it too. The evolved version kept all the gameplay balance of the original and added some good stuff that really enhanced the game without being unnessessary.

But the bad outweighs the good:

The only paddle controller I know of is that odd all in-one-wired arcade stick. It maps the paddle to the right analog stick (no way to swap) and Warlords maps the control to left analog stick (again, no way to swap)

The fusion frenzy look of the evolved version is a real turnoff.

Why does the game pick what corner castle I defend? In an online match, everyone should be able to rotate the view to make their castle appear at the corner they prefer to play from! This will help with balance quite a bit. And maddeningly enough, the game demontrates that it can be rotated easily. It just dosen't let you do it!!!

I dont know, I'm not a big fan of any of the evolved Atari games except maybe Missile Command. Warlords isn't too bad but I refuse to accept paddle games when no paddle controllers exist. If console makers want to release classic games on their systems they should release the proper controller to play them with.

Never play an online match with just 2 other people. I was stuck in the middle. Needless to say I was at a disadvantage.

I don't really like how it does the online matchmaking. It automatically starts if everyone says they're ready......regardless of whether there are 2, 3 or 4 players.

Quick question.

Is there any atari game on XBLA worth buying?

-rick

I like Battlezone pretty well. To be honest though, that's the only Atari title on Live I have. I've played those old games too many times I guess.

Quick question.

Is there any atari game on XBLA worth buying?

-rick

I like Centipede/Millipede, Missile Command, Tempest, and Battlezone. Battlezone and Missile Command are probably the best of the lot. Tempest is borderline.

I didn't like Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe or Warlords.

Just my opinion, but rather than pressing up to slide up at a preset speed, they should have had all the way up on the analog stick be all the way to one side, and all the way down be all the way to the other, with center being in the corner. That way you could have pinpoint control, just like the paddle.

I thought Battlezone was pretty cool.

• 4 years later...

alright, picked up Warlords finally. This was one of my all-time favorite Atari games. I still play it with MAME over the Internet with one of my best friends from high school. But was waiting for a deal. Yeah, it's weird to think $2 kept me from getting it but I scoffed at the idea of $5. It had a lot of replay value back in 1984 because of the 4-player support (when I first played it on the 2600 port), but compared to how much game you get nowadays for $5, $5 for Warlords was kind of hard to stomach especially when I had a great MAME version that played over the Internet and had trackball support.

Anyway, my question is, when you play single player, can you play another spot other than the purple top-right corner? I'd like to mix it up there.

I like the reimagined version. I want to like the original version but it's just so awful to control with a game controller. On MAME, I use a trackball or mouse and control is super tight. But with the game controller, I'm just hanging on for dear life. But the control on the reimagined version is great (for a controller).

As for the other Atari games on sale, I'm liking Battlezone a lot. That was one of my first cartridges I got as a kid with the XEGS shell. But I'm still struggling with the idea of $4 for Battlezone even with the cool new graphics.

I'm not seeing what people are seeing with Missile Command. I love it in MAME because of the trackball/mouse. But the Missile Command with the game controller is maddening. The new graphics are decent but nothing interesting and the music is such generic techno. I've seen XBLIG titles just destroy this game in terms of quality and presentation.

I'm actually liking the Centipede/Millipede a lot which no one seems to like. But the $4 sale price is still irksome and holding me back. Again, if you get more game and a better presentation with a $1 XBLIG title, something is wrong.

At least I have a week to decide on the games. I still have my finger on the trigger for Battlezone though. I just wish Atari had more sales on these titles. I see multiple sales for certain titles all the time and some titles never ever go on sale (I'm looking at you, Death Tank). Heck, Dragon's Lair has had a sale like 4 different times and it's only been on sale for less than a year.

I thought at least some of these had been delisted. I guess not...

Centipede/Millipede seem fine to me in their original modes. The audio screwed up briefly a few times but they seemed pretty faithful to me and were getting a good bit of playtime a few months back. I don't remember their enhanced modes but I'm sure I at least played them on that Atari PSP collection where all these originated at.

Only things that seem like a complete waste of time to me in these are the speeded up versions and the arcade mode of Missile Command (I enjoy the enhanced version though). I don't recall their enhanced modes or what I thought of them, but Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe is still a decent time in classic mode even though losing the background beat in Asteroids sucks. And I think they went a bit overboard in spots with the difficulty level of their achievements for all of these (And limiting some to their speeded up modes was idiotic).

I own Warlords but don't think I've ever tried playing it. Glad to hear there's at least a bit of fun to be had there since I think the thought of playing a arcade game meant for rotary control on a gamepad is what kept me away from giving it a shot.

Edit - Warlords is supposed to be delisted. How'd you buy it?

Edited by Atariboy

My mistake, they released something else under that name last year and that's what was delisted. If the demo for their Haunted House effort was any indication, I don't think I missed much.

So basically they delisted the newer Warlords game so they can relist it later and have it pop up on the newly released list again like they did with Yar's Revenge.