IGNORED

KMK/JZ HD interface

dinosaur

The LED on the interface lit for a few seconds and: "Error:No Dos" appeared on the screen!

Really it lit that long? That's odd. As far as I know the SpartaDOS bootloader, this means an error while loading the DOS executable. Maybe you are right and the copy of the SpartaDOS 3.2 you use is simply not OK.

If the Larry's sector copy hangs for you, then I don't know, what happens there (does the START key in your computer work at all?)

What version of FDISK you use? If it is not the latest one (on my page), update it.

Before updating the BIOS, you can also try to setup the interface with the FDISK 1.40. It is (AFAIK) saved to the utility image as OLDFDISK.ARC (this is in case if there's some undetected incompatibility between older BIOS and newer FDISK). But the fact that MyDOS works well means that the interface is configured properly.

BTW. I tried if MKSDFS builds correct directories - it worked for me, Cleanup didn't detect any errors etc.

Edited by drac030

The LED on the interface lit for a few seconds and: "Error:No Dos" appeared on the screen!

Really it lit that long? That's odd. As far as I know the SpartaDOS bootloader, this means an error while loading the DOS executable. Maybe you are right and the copy of the SpartaDOS 3.2 you use is simply not OK.

If the Larry's sector copy hangs for you, then I don't know, what happens there (does the START key in your computer work at all?)

What version of FDISK you use? If it is not the latest one (on my page), update it.

Before updating the BIOS, you can also try to setup the interface with the FDISK 1.40. It is (AFAIK) saved to the utility image as OLDFDISK.ARC (this is in case if there's some undetected incompatibility between older BIOS and newer FDISK). But the fact that MyDOS works well means that the interface is configured properly.

BTW. I tried if MKSDFS builds correct directories - it worked for me, Cleanup didn't detect any errors etc.

drac030:

The interface works flawlessly with MyDos.When trying SpartaDos, I made a freshly formatted disk (with my original factory SD disk fron ICD )and copied the files to it.

I was using FDISK2 ver.2.5,so using the old FDISK might be a good idea,with BIOS ver.1.4......

At this point,as I have some health problems and as my frustration has went through thre roof,I think I am going to walk away for a few days.

One last question:

If I installed a cartridge jack on the interface,plugged in a SpartaDos X cart and made NONE of the partitions bootable,

would it boot from the SDX and be able to read and write to the partitions?

Thanks for your help and your time! :)

If I installed a cartridge jack on the interface,plugged in a SpartaDos X cart and made NONE of the partitions bootable,

It should.

For SpartaDOS X 4.22 (and older) the boot drive setting (Ctrl/B) does not matter. You should, however, DISABLE the Custom boot routine (Ctrl/C) in FDISK, because otherwise the SDX won't start up.

Could you make a sector-copy of your D1: partition (the one which displays "Error: No DOS" even if there is DOS there; first 1000 sectors will suffice) and send me the image for inspection?

Could you run FDISK2, take a snapshot or photo of the partition list and send me too?

Take care of your health.

Edited by drac030

Hi Drac030-

While we are on the subject of the KMK/JZ interface, here's a hardware question that I've been thinking about. In another current thread (SpartaDos X Cartridge) the discussion now centers on possibly making a new run of XL to XE adapter boards. The KMK/JZ interface only has the ECI connectors to work with the XE line of computers.

If someone made an adapter with a *female* ECI connector and ran the necessary lines to a regular (XL-style) edge connector, should it work OK with a 600/800XL? If you do not already know the answer, perhaps your hardware counterpart could answer this. Seems like it would be an opportunity to significantly expand the potential customers for the interface.

I suspect this has already been looked at before. I also see on my interface there are wiring connectors at each of the contact positions on the ECI, probably for wiring the interface pcb internally to the computer. (?)

-Larry

While we are on the subject of the KMK/JZ interface, here's a hardware question that I've been thinking about. In another current thread (SpartaDos X Cartridge) the discussion now centers on possibly making a new run of XL to XE adapter boards. The KMK/JZ interface only has the ECI connectors to work with the XE line of computers.

If someone made an adapter with a *female* ECI connector and ran the necessary lines to a regular (XL-style) edge connector, should it work OK with a 600/800XL?

I am not sure. The XL PBI lacks one or two signals which XEs have, namely the "HALT" and "D1xx". While the former is not used by the interface, the latter most probably is necessary for the interface to work.

It should.

For SpartaDOS X 4.22 (and older) the boot drive setting (Ctrl/B) does not matter. You should, however, DISABLE the Custom boot routine (Ctrl/C) in FDISK, because otherwise the SDX won't start up.

Could you make a sector-copy of your D1: partition (the one which displays "Error: No DOS" even if there is DOS there; first 1000 sectors will suffice) and send me the image for inspection?

Could you run FDISK2, take a snapshot or photo of the partition list and send me too?

Take care of your health.

What program would I use to back up the first 1000 sectors? I am not familiar with doing that. Thanks.

YES! YES! YES!....Dancing in the street!

I got this puppy to work with SpartaDos 3.3a !!!!!!!! :) :) :)

I used PCX2000 and loaded the X33A.atr as D1: and Sparta16.atr (a blank 16 meg image from the Holmes collection).

I copied X33A.DOS from D1: to D2: ,switched to D2: and typed "Boot X33A.DOS

I then loaded sparta16.atr into the emulator as D1: and re-booted.

Lo! and Behold!....it booted!

I then went into A.P.E. ,loaded x33a.atr as D1: and D3: and loaded sparta16.atr into D2: and booted the Atari (holding down SHIFT and OPTION. the Atari booted up. I typed D3: from the D1: prompt and hit RESET.

I then typed "COPY D2: D1: " and hit RETURN.

I then turned everything off. With the computer off,I powered up the hard drive.Holding the OPTION key down,I turned on the computer. I saw:

SpartaDos Pro ver. 3.3a 3-Nov.-94

Copyright © 1994 by FTe

D1:

Happy Happy Day! then typed: D1:DIR and this came back:

D1:DIR

Volume:

Directory:MAIN

X33A DOS 13096 1-21-02 3:49p

65339 FREE SECTORS

This thing works great with SpartaDos 3.3a!

I really thought that this puppy was going to whip me.

To Larry and drac030 and all the others, Thank You for all your help! :)

A VERY happy dinosaur!

Super :) Looks like I have to update the utility disk and manuals, if 3.2 can have so much problems, and 3.3 does not.

I tried the same procedure,using SpartaDos 3.2d and still got "Error:No Dos"

You fellas that are smarter than me will have to figure that one out! :)

Anyway,I am now satisfied.Thank you for a fine piece of engineering!

Super :) Looks like I have to update the utility disk and manuals, if 3.2 can have so much problems, and 3.3 does not.

I tried the same procedure,using SpartaDos 3.2d and still got "Error:No Dos"

You fellas that are smarter than me will have to figure that one out! :)

Anyway,I am now satisfied.Thank you for a fine piece of engineering!

Heh. Well, 3.3a was a special version of spartados that Steve Carden did for BBS express professional. It's also the only version of spartados that works with MyIDE... This is an issue (conflict) with where the MyIDE code resides in memory, and Spartados's memory allocation characteristics. Theres alot of spartados applications that wont function correctly under 3.3a, and people have been begging Mr-Atari to fix his "MYIDE OS" patch for sparta compatability for YEARS..

You should contact Steve Carden. He does support the supra interface through REALDOS (which is his latest & greatest incarnation of SpartaDos) and if yours wont work with it, I bet he can tell you what you are doing wrong. He was very disapointed when I made an MIO demonstation video using spartados 3.3a and said that it was an inferior version to be using... He should know.. he made it.

If someone made an adapter with a *female* ECI connector and ran the necessary lines to a regular (XL-style) edge connector, should it work OK with a 600/800XL?

I am not sure. The XL PBI lacks one or two signals which XEs have, namely the "HALT" and "D1xx". While the former is not used by the interface, the latter most probably is necessary for the interface to work.

Looks like I was correct. The XL adapter will do, if it provides the D1xx signal. And 5V, which is said to be missing on PBI too. Both things are "possible to do".

He does support the supra interface through REALDOS (which is his latest & greatest incarnation of SpartaDos)

As you are writing about it, could you please, at the occasion, as a regular user, enumerate substantial differences between SpartaDOS 3.x and Real.DOS, which make the latter the "greatest incarnation of SpartaDOS"?

He does support the supra interface through REALDOS (which is his latest & greatest incarnation of SpartaDos)

As you are writing about it, could you please, at the occasion, as a regular user, enumerate substantial differences between SpartaDOS 3.x and Real.DOS, which make the latter the "greatest incarnation of SpartaDOS"?

I'll let Steve do his own explanation of technical details. I dont necessarily endorse it over any other spartados version but it has numerous additions, enhancements, and fixes in the OS, as well as improved versions of just about all the "toolkit" apps. It also comes with up to date versions of configuration programs and utilities for the MIO, BLACKBOX, MULTIPLEXER, etc. Its about a 512k "distro". And Steve did tell me personally that 3.3a was a poor compromise that was created specifically as a workaround for BBS express professional, and is only guaranteed suitable for that specific purpose..

And also notice that I didnt say "latest and greatest incarnation of Spartados X," as this is a different OS entirely..

And just for the record, I use 3.x versions regularly.. But 3.3a is not a good version to use by any means if you want full functionality..

Since Steves site seems to be down, here is the last 2 versions of the distribution:

REALDOS.zip

Edited by MEtalGuy66