IGNORED

New XE User Looking for Game Suggestions...

Greetings fellow atariagers,

I just picked up a fully operational Atari XE with keyboard, lightgun, two joysticks and about 10 games on ebay for $30 [shipping included].

I even have an SIO2PC that I picked up a few years ago at PhillyClassic 4 and never used.

I have no idea where to begin as my experience with 8bit Atari computers is next to none.

I'd love some game suggestions and configuration suggestions for getting the most out of it with the least bit of hassle.

The games that came with it are not really what I'm interested in, a few arcade ports, a flight sim and a few I've never heard of and am checking out as I write this.

What games do you folks recommend? Is there a way I can get a hard drive hooked up to the XE?

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

aaack, how do I get past the SELF TEST screen? Certain carts, the ones marked XE [others are 800 CXL4011] won't go to the game screen. I must be missing something.

please advise

edit: hmm, now it's working. I guess it was a dirty cart. wacky.

Anyone ever play "Bug Hunt" is it a light gun game? <--- hehe seems it IS a light gun game, just had the lg plugged in to the wrong port

very basic though, any better light gun games out there for the XE?

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

Just work your way through the top 100

My personal favorites: Bounty Bob Strikes Back, Preppie!,Atari Invaders, Donkey Kong, Yoomp,River Raid,Rainbow Walker, Slinky,Blue Max,Bruce Lee (thats at the moment :?: )

very nice, thanks, I'll definitely give your personal favs a shot and then check out the top 100. I did play Atari Invaders last night and I have the cart for Donkey Kong... both are super hard.

Last night I got the IOS2PC working after a bit of head scratching [i had the pinouts reversed ... don't ask]

It's quite a bit of fun.

I also noticed my XE has a built in Missile Command. If you turn it on without the keyboard attached you get missile command. Is this normal?

Just work your way through the top 100

My personal favorites: Bounty Bob Strikes Back, Preppie!,Atari Invaders, Donkey Kong, Yoomp,River Raid,Rainbow Walker, Slinky,Blue Max,Bruce Lee (thats at the moment :?: )

very nice, thanks, I'll definitely give your personal favs a shot and then check out the top 100. I did play Atari Invaders last night and I have the cart for Donkey Kong... both are super hard.

Last night I got the IOS2PC working after a bit of head scratching [i had the pinouts reversed ... don't ask]

It's quite a bit of fun.

I also noticed my XE has a built in Missile Command. If you turn it on without the keyboard attached you get missile command. Is this normal?

Yep, missile command is inbuilt on all XEGS

try Zybex, Donkey Kong, Blue Max, K-razy Shootout, MS PAC Man, Quasimodo, Star Raiders that should get you started...

excellent, thanks!.

three of those games I have the carts for that came with this setup. Blue Max, DK & Star Raiders

Besides disconnecting the keyboard, I think you can also hold SELECT on power up with the keyboard attached to play missile command.

join in with the high score club, then you get to play games that you otherwise maybe would not try

That is good advice.

There are bucketloads of A8 games, and everyone has different tastes.

Please don't neglect cassette games, though! Using emulators or SIO2PC, everyone can now try them without the insane load times of using a real Atari cassette deck, and there are some gems in that format.

join in with the high score club, then you get to play games that you otherwise maybe would not try

That is good advice.

There are bucketloads of A8 games, and everyone has different tastes.

Please don't neglect cassette games, though! Using emulators or SIO2PC, everyone can now try them without the insane load times of using a real Atari cassette deck, and there are some gems in that format.

Two questions:

What's the "High Score Club" ?

How do I get .cas to load? I have an unregistered version of APE and when I try to load any file ending in .cas, it just sits there with the playback controls but none of the buttons work for playback and rewind.

I have another program called Atari810 but I don't see how to load cassettes with that... please advise

8-bit High Score Club

We vote for a game and then play the most voted for.

Play is for 2 weeks, just have to post your top scores, preferably with a screen shot, but that is not important.

At the end of the 2 weeks we all look to see how many million points Fandal has beeten us by :D

There is no pressure to play, if you don't like a game, or don't have the time then that is fine.I just find it useful to make me play stuff that I may not have tried or even heard of before.

Using APE for windoze, click on cassette, click on playback.load a .cas image, boot your Atari, holding down START, and OPTION (only hold down option if programme does not require BASIC)

Your Atari will beep, press any key on the Atari and then quickly press play on the APE display.

Your cassette should now load

Good luck

mimo: despite the fact that you have bugs crawling all over you, I love you man, thank you :) The whole thing with booting while pressing option is particularly helpful, I have no manual so I never would have known that.

I'll definitely drop in to the high score club too when I get some time to play some of the great suggestions made in this thread.

Lode Runner

Donkey Kong

Star Raiders

Pharoah's Curse

Montezuma's Revenge

Castle Wolfenstein

Fort Apocalypse

Defender

Pooyan

Pinhead

Bandits

Pac-Man

Jumpman

Joust

and Star League Baseball :)

are some of my favorites for the 8-bits.

I really love Shamus too, but you need the translator, I think, to run it on an XL/XE.

Edited by littleman jack