IGNORED

another day, another convert

xxl

Douche nozzles

PMSL. I like it.

Fair enough they could chase you if you did a freely released conversion for an ancient computer with a few thousand followers.

But - if you were to do such conversion as a patch utility for an existing image/file, there would be absolutely no ground for them to stand on.

Of course though, doing a conversion from another as a series of patches makes the whole project even more cumbersome.

• 4 weeks later...

There are probably a couple of issues (IANAL):

- copyright on the software being ported/converted

- copyright on the graphics

- trademark of the "SimCity" name

Who complained and on what basis? I'll definitely boycott their products from now on...

The graphics? Mmm ,,, not sure. The layout, most certainly. But if they have any kind of modification to the images themselves, or even if the icon set was moved to the top of the screen, then EA would have a much harder time of it.

Copyright on the software being converted? Probably XXL's biggest problem. To be able to churn out conversions as impressively fast as he is, he's got to be using as much of the original code as possible. Ordinarily these days that wouldn't cause an issue. Programmers will inevitably write code that will be created independently by many other coders. The problem here would be that it would be easy for EA to show that he hadn't created a lot of the code himself. Even so, it's a grey area. I'm sure that although the logic is the same the memory addresses used in those code blocks have to be changed. But better safe than sorry - and penniless.

LinCity hasn't been assaulted by EA. It's completely independent code, uses different graphics and has a similar but obviously different name.

Oh - and kudos to XXL for not bitching about it. :)

Fantastic work, by the way. Loving his posts.

Oh God ... what about Sabre Wulf? Used to love playing that game on the Spectrum.

Oh - and for those with Elite on their wish list (me too), didn't Wrathchild create a demo of it but wasn't able to finish it because David Braben was being an EA-style twat? I'm sure it was something like that. ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Another case of we ripped it off first and nobody can rip it off of us because laws now protect us but not back then...

Just make simulation city, and add some better concepts, adjust some names with a thesauris... make some popular references and do all the back door methods outlined throughout this and other threads... f*ck those *sshats !

• Like 1