IGNORED

The most important leader of Atari

Allas

Atari Leaders  

60 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, what is/was the most important leader of Atari history?

• Nolan Bushnell (1972-1976)
    • Ray Kassar (Warner) (1977-1984)
    • Jack Tramiel (1984-1996)
    • Hasbro (1999-2001)
    • Infogrames (2001-2008)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I voted Bushnell because without him Atari never would have existed and neither would this forum. However, some of the other leaders had their good points. Ray Kassar licensed Space Invaders which really put Atari on the map, and Jack Tramiel did some good things too. He continued to market the 2600 when he could have killed it, he killed the 5200, and he marketed the 7800. I would have done all those things, but I would have put more emphasis on the 7800 to compete with Nintendon't, I mean Nintendo. :twisted:

I voted Bushnell because without him Atari never would have existed and neither would this forum. However, some of the other leaders had their good points. Ray Kassar licensed Space Invaders which really put Atari on the map, and Jack Tramiel did some good things too. He continued to market the 2600 when he could have killed it, he killed the 5200, and he marketed the 7800. I would have done all those things, but I would have put more emphasis on the 7800 to compete with Nintendon't, I mean Nintendo. :twisted:

Definitely the Nolan era. That's when Atari was the "true" Atari IMHO. Wonderful game systems, the Atri Video Music, true innovation, 2600. The 2600 grew into the 8-bit computer chipset, and then by 1979, the spark was gone. Nothing of major significance since. The 7800 was designed by outside people, the Lynx was developed by Epyx, and the Jaguar was designed by Flare 1.

Stephen Anderson

Bushnell. Although maybe not the most astute business type, he got it all started.

And, although Atari was a pioneer for a lot of technology for almost all of it's "Version 1" existence, it was often a case after 1982 or so that Atari would premier some new bit of kit, but another company would be first to market. Case in point here - CD ROM and the Transputer (multi-processing for the masses).

Also, wasn't there Morgan or someone else in the later part of the Warner years?

Definitely the Nolan era. That's when Atari was the "true" Atari IMHO. Wonderful game systems, the Atri Video Music, true innovation, 2600. The 2600 grew into the 8-bit computer chipset, and then by 1979, the spark was gone. Nothing of major significance since. The 7800 was designed by outside people, the Lynx was developed by Epyx, and the Jaguar was designed by Flare 1.

Stephen Anderson

I think 2600 was developed on Warner era, and due to that was so popular.

I voted for Trameil, just to be a rebel...

I voted for Tramiel, because if he had not purchased the failing Atari division, we likely wouldn't be conversing here today. For all of the things that he did that we believe were "dumb," he was a heck of a business guy who knew how to do a lot on a little. I've always wanted to hear his Atari story, but we probably never will, unless one of the sons will write it or participate. This could be an "On the Edge" sequel -- "Atari On the Edge."

-Larry

Edited by Larry

Talking about leaders....

At last! A great movie for us from Paramount Pictures, starring Leonardo DiCaprio

http://www.gamegrep.com/news/10513-leo_dic...in_atari_movie/

http://www.rowthree.com/2008/06/07/dicaprio-to-create-atari/

http://www.geektyrant.com/2008/06/dicaprio...unt-play-atari/

Edited by Allas