IGNORED

Classic.....just classic.....

I played Doom on XBLA last night for about 4 hours. 2 hours of single player and 2 hours of multiplayer. I was in DooM heaven. I hadn't played that game in a looooonggggg time. Loved it.

Anyone else play this game on a normal basis or want to play tonight? I get off at 8:30 tonight.

Is it all blocky-looking and an offense to the eyes like it used to be or did they smooth it out for the 360?

It got the high def overhaul. It looks pretty good. No harm in at least trying the FREE demo to see for yourself. :)

Thanks. I don't have an Xbox 360 yet, but I hope I will in a couple of months.

Is it all blocky-looking and an offense to the eyes like it used to be or did they smooth it out for the 360?

An offense to the eyes? Your words are an offense. This is a game that still tops "all-time greatest" lists. It doesn't need pixel shaders and complex physics engines to be great. 3/4 of all games discussed in the "Modern Gaming" section of this forum owe something to Doom. Your talking about old-school graphics being bad on an Atari fan forum. That seems a little strange.

An offense to the eyes? Your words are an offense. This is a game that still tops "all-time greatest" lists. It doesn't need pixel shaders and complex physics engines to be great. 3/4 of all games discussed in the "Modern Gaming" section of this forum owe something to Doom. You're talking about old-school graphics being bad on an Atari fan forum. That seems a little strange.

2D graphics were getting better and clearer in the 1980s and then 3D games came along and took us back into the dark ages. Everything was blocky-looking again. Doom looked worse than most Atari 2600 games. A big ball of ugly. Hard on the eyes (at the time, not looking back). For me, the new 3D games aren't good enough yet. Now that 3D games are getting better looking, I wonder what new thing will knock the graphics back into the 1970s?

An offense to the eyes? Your words are an offense. This is a game that still tops "all-time greatest" lists. It doesn't need pixel shaders and complex physics engines to be great. 3/4 of all games discussed in the "Modern Gaming" section of this forum owe something to Doom. You're talking about old-school graphics being bad on an Atari fan forum. That seems a little strange.

2D graphics were getting better and clearer in the 1980s and then 3D games came along and took us back into the dark ages. Everything was blocky-looking again. Doom looked worse than most Atari 2600 games. A big ball of ugly. Hard on the eyes (at the time, not looking back). For me, the new 3D games aren't good enough yet. Now that 3D games are getting better looking, I wonder what new thing will knock the graphics back into the 1970s?

It will have to be virtual reality. Let's get started,

Doom was like the pinnacle of game design. Great in every way.

Great level design.

Great Atmosphere.

Great Technically (at the time).

Great Sound Effects.

Could play on up to two (three?) monitors. One for front and two for the side. (Anyone ever try this?)

Had multiplayer, co-op, you name it.

Very few games these days have had co-op and none (that I know of) that allowed up to four players to do so.

Just an incredibly amazing game in every way!

Very few games these days have had co-op and none (that I know of) that allowed up to four players to do so.

There's actually quite a few game these days that are co-op. Although in many (not all) cases it's not full blown co-op. In other words they have co-op modes that are seperate from the main game.

Some that have full blown co-op are:

Perfect Dark Zero

Gears of War

Crackdown

Army of Two

Halo 3 (up to 4 player co-op)

Chromehounds (up to 6 player co-op)

I wont name the ones that have co-op modes, there are a bunch.

No doubt about it though, Doom is a classic. If you guys are enjoying Doom. Be sure and check out the demo for Marathon: Durandal. It was Bungie Studios' (The folks that make Halo) very first FPS series and features 8 player multiplay. Good stuff.

Edited by moycon

• 2 weeks later...