IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Outrun Update.

Kjmann

well I just got a letter from DamageX and he has been working 55-60 hrs a week at his day job so the work on outrun has been slow. but he has managed to get some code for going up/down hill done, and showing the different views of the car. he has fixed a DLI timing problem on the music select screen

and did some work on the high score list also. Now he's working on some routines to place other scenery on screen during the game.

hope this help keep you all going. I'll post some more updates when I hear more.

Edited by kjmann

here are a couple current screenshots... (making them into GIFs has introduced some dithering in the light gray that doesn't exist in the real deal)

Have you done the animation sequence where the car crashes off the road, flips a few times, and your girlfriend gets out and shakes her fist at you?

that would be awesome. heheh..

• 4 weeks later...

When I look at it I wonder if workers who painted the white line at the edge of the road were drunk :)

But beside that it really looks great :) It surely looks better than any other racing game for A8.

Edited by urborg

going around the bend... how's this look?
Thanks for the progress update, it's looking good. great to see this develop and glad that you're doing it. How much further have you progressed with the project now being busy with your job?

going around the bend... how's this look?

Looks great, as does everything else done so far. However, just looking at the perspective of the metal frame around the windshield on the left side... shouldn't the frame be coming more straight down rather than bending right as it touches the hood/body of the the car? Everything else looks great. Can't wait to see it in action...

When I look at it I wonder if workers who painted the white line at the edge of the road were drunk

You mean how it's kind of jagged with pixels sticking out here and there? The road is pre-rendered, maybe there's some kind of filtering I can use to clean that up a bit.

How much further have you progressed with the project now being busy with your job?

I've just been working on it during my dinner break (heh, need to clean the food off my laptop sometime) and recently a lot of time has spent trying to get screen updates without graphical glitches while 3 or more interrupts are going on every frame. It's pretty solid now. One more hurdle cleared, several to go...

What is this being coded in again?

100% assembly, using NESASM on PC

shouldn't the frame be coming more straight down rather than bending right as it touches the hood/body of the the car?

I think you're right, it currently appears convex but it should be slightly concave. I will try tweaking that.

When I look at it I wonder if workers who painted the white line at the edge of the road were drunk

You mean how it's kind of jagged with pixels sticking out here and there? The road is pre-rendered, maybe there's some kind of filtering I can use to clean that up a bit.

Actually, I think he's just looking at the uneven stripes on the right hand side... but, they are uneven on purpose, to give a better effect of movement. I think he was expecting to see a straight line. It just looks a little funny in a "still" shot. I wouldn't worry about it...

Edited by MrFish

• 9 months later...

I'm always wondering...

If people would pay money at this moment; would that encourage the programmer(s) to work harder/faster?

I'm really excited about Outrun, and I'm absolutely motivated to pay for the development; and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I really 'want' this game to finish and to succeed!

So please let us/me know if payments would help ;)

Greetz

M.

If people would pay money at this moment; would that encourage the programmer(s) to work harder/faster?

Outrun was one of the titles (along with Test Drive, for another) I was always jealous of my C64-owning friends for having in their library... I would gladly pay for a version! (Hopefully available on cartridge eventually)

Progress is very encouraging... I'd love to see this one seen through.

Edited by adam242

hey folks. Outrun (when completed) will be available on cartridge only and for sale through Video61 aka: atarisales.com. Just like Tempest Xtreem.

I will post more info as the game gets closer to completion.

BTW: Awesome work TJ. Glad to know your still hanging in there. =)

Edited by kjmann

Very nice ! It's really becoming a beautiful and colourful game.

Can't wait to see it finished !

I'm always wondering...

Good question, if we all would pay $5 a month, we could give a programmer a full time job with programming our missing A8 games :)

Very nice ! It's really becoming a beautiful and colourful game.

Can't wait to see it finished !

I'm always wondering...

Good question, if we all would pay $5 a month, we could give a programmer a full time job with programming our missing A8 games :)

Inspiration-Soft can do this if all atari-age folks pay only $4 a month, don't you think?

I still have to reply to your email Thelen, but I had some other things to take care of.

But I'll let you know about my new written tools.

Marius