IGNORED

Which of these games are better on the 7800 than the NES?

Ferret75

Arcade Games- 7800 vs. NES  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Galaga

• Atari 7800
    • NES
    • I never played this game.
    • I don't know.
  2. 2. Donkey Kong

• Atari 7800
    • NES
    • I don't know.
  3. 3. Donkey Kong Jr.

• Atari 7800
    • NES
    • I don't know.
  4. 4. Mario Bros.

• Atari 7800
    • NES
    • I don't know.
  5. 5. Joust

• Atari 7800
    • NES
    • I don't know.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I want to get some 7800 versions of certain arcade games, but I already have some of them on my NES collection.

Now if the game is even a little better on the 7800, I'll get it, but if the NES version is better, well, I'll just keep that.

So what does everyone think, which of the above games are better on the 7800?

And please, honest answers people. :P

I can tell you the 7800 ports of those are all good titles, and most can be had for less than five bucks. Unless space is an issues, I'd pick them all up.

I have heard Galaga on the NES is better than the 7800 port, but I haven't played it firsthand to say. Still, since Galaga is one of the cheapest 7800 titles, why not grab it up anyway?

7800 Joust is superiour in my opinion, because of controllability, graphics style, and sounds effects.

As far as the other 4 games are concerned, the NES versions are superior. The 7800 "Mario" games suffer from bad music/sound, and some sub-par graphics on Mario Bros. 7800 Galaga just can't compete with the NES version, but is probably the best game of these other 4.

As I said elsewhere, I think the NES Galaga is almost certainly the best home version by far.

It is accurate in graphics, sound and gameplay reproduction. Galaga is just one of those tricky to reproduce games.

A big thing against the 7800 version is the aspect ratio is all out since it's done in the 160 mode. For some reason they seemed to have gotten the movement calculations about right, but it just doesn't work when the pixels are double sized.

Try playing it in MESS, or another emulator that allows you to custom size the window. If you make the screen half-width the game becomes a lot more playable.

(I haven't done the poll since I've not played at least half the game versions mentioned)

Joust is clearly won by the 7800 there and Galaga is superior for the average person on the NES (if you're a 7800 fanboy like me though, 7800 Galaga seems better just because you've played it more). I don't have 7800 Mario Bros. yet.

The DK games need some consideration though. The sound is better on the NES. The graphics are slightly better on the NES. However, another difficulty level setting is available in the 7800 versions. Also, of the default controllers, I'm sorry, no matter what you think of the prolines, the joystick is a better control for DK games. Also, grabbing a 2600 stick is certainly an easier proposition than getting an Advantage controller as far as alternate controllers go. As well, I've always found it more pathetic that Nintendo left out one of their own levels than that Atari did the same. Also, you have the potential for blinkies in the NES version (like all NES games), while I think I once played a 7800 game, glitch free, that came from Chernobyl.

Edited by Atarifever

The NES wins every time, with Joust being the very notable exception.

The Mario games just look cheap on the 7800, which is a shame particularly for Donkey Kong, when simply duplicating the arcade boards would have been enough to top the NES version.

Of the other games I've played on both, the NES also wins for Kung Fu Master and KLAX. On the other hand, Xevious gets a slight edge on the 7800 if only for the difficulty options, and Double Dragon on the 7800 is at least more faithful to the arcade game.

I think, only Kung Fu Master is better on the 7800. Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. and Mario Bros. are to easy to play on the NES and to hard on the 7800.

Really??? I always found Kung Fu Master on the 7800 to have really sloppy controls and be too difficult compared to Kung Fu on the NES.

As for the Donkey Kong games and Mario game, I liked them better on the NES as well though I didn't find the 7800 versions to be bad. Biggest issue was the sound for me, but I could turn that down.

Was there any reason Xevious was left out? I find the 7800 version more fun than the NES port.

Otherwise, aside from Joust, the NES ports, of the above games, are better imo mainly due to the sound fx.

Xevious requires two buttons.

I was only listing games I could play with a 2600 controller.

Was there any reason Xevious was left out? I find the 7800 version more fun than the NES port.

Otherwise, aside from Joust, the NES ports, of the above games, are better imo mainly due to the sound fx.

Technically, you can play with one button (it fires both bombs and bullets, IIIRC)

Technically, you can play with one button (it fires both bombs and bullets, IIIRC)

Oh, it does?

Oh, that's good (despite being akward).

So far from the poll choices, I figured I'm defienetly gonna get Joust for the 7800.

Though I have a question of Mario Bros.

Is there any extra difficulty in Mario Bros (7800)?