IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

xenomorpher

Did anyone else pre-order or order this? I won't be home until later tomorrow to play it unfortunately, but I plan to play a solid 20 hours when I get home. I played Snake Eater for about 16 hours straight when it first came out and actually fell asleep while playing it. I even made a list of caffeine drinks and some food to get for this event and plan to get a lot of sleep tonight. It looks a lot funner than previous Metal Gear Solid games and I'm happy that they improved the aiming. I'm pretty anxious about the online play too.

Did anyone else pre-order or order this? I won't be home until later tomorrow to play it unfortunately, but I plan to play a solid 20 hours when I get home. I played Snake Eater for about 16 hours straight when it first came out and actually fell asleep while playing it. I even made a list of caffeine drinks and some food to get for this event and plan to get a lot of sleep tonight. It looks a lot funner than previous Metal Gear Solid games and I'm happy that they improved the aiming. I'm pretty anxious about the online play too.

I would be interested in your impressions after you play awhile. Let us know!

-T

No, but I bought it for $50 brand new yesterday. After playing for a couple of hours I will say at 1st the cut scenes seemed a bit much, but one I settled in I have to say the game is simply amazing. I haven't really been into Metal Gear since the 1st MGS on PS1, but this one has definitely brought me back into the fold.

OK, I've played about a solid 16 or 18 hours and beat the game on the easiest difficulty. I have to say this is the most satisfy, funnest, and best Metal Gear Solid which has so many improvements in comparison to the other Metal Gears, and one of the most near perfect games I've ever played. The ending surpasses Snake Eater's ending in terms of shock and emotion, I won't spoil the ending but my jaw dropped to the floor. I love this game, I urge anyone that played Metal Gear Solid 1,2 and 3 to at least rent this game and play it through for the story. If you're very interested and up to date with the story like me before you played it, then you owe it to yourself to play this. It answers all the questions that I can think of and gives you a peace of mind in a sense. I haven't tried Metal Gear Online yet, but plan to once I download the newest version. There are a few annoyances and gripes I have with MGS4. If you noticed in some of the trailers PMC soldiers just running past Old Snake while he is flat on the ground blended in with his new sneaking suit, in the game they notice you much easier, like they can't be that close and not see you. That may be considered a good or bad thing, as in more realistic, but I was playing on the easiest setting and found it pretty annoying. There is this one part I absolutely hated and wish they left out where you had to tail a guy which lasted too long I think. It was the most annoying thing in the game. There are A LOT of weapons and special weapons in the game, more than any other Metal Gear game. I think I read there were 70+ which seems about right, including grenades and "special" weapons. From my first time playing through, just trying to breeze through it mind you because I was more interested in the story than unlocking stuff, I got a Scorpion rank and unlocked a special weapon and a suit which I haven't tried out yet. One last thing, there are a few nice treats for those who loved the first Metal Gear Solid and a wonderful conclusion for those who played and loved the other Metal Gear games particularly Metal Gear Solid 3, Portable Ops. Being a huge Metal Gear fan aside, this is a pretty damn good game period.

Edited by xenomorpher

I'll get this game for certain but not until I can snag a copy for around $30-$40 .

Never have been a huge MGS fan for some reason.

Amazon usually offers (for a short time) big name releases for -$20 a few weeks after a title is launched so I'm keeping my eyes open.

Edited by moycon

Couple of questions:

One... I never finished Metal Gear Portable Ops. Will I miss something due to not finishing that game?

Secondly... umm... the very start of the game. Umm... Tv channels? I didn't get that. what was that about.

First question, there are some minor details you will be missing concerning the form of the Patriots and Foxhound. I suggest watching the last retrospective on Metal Gear Solid at Gametrailers.com to get you caught up, but they do explain it in game sort of so you won't miss out too much. The TV channels where supposed to put you in that world and those commercials where of all the PMC's you encounter in the game.

I tried MGO for the first time today and it exceeded my expectations. I love it so far and it is actually fun to play online. If anyone wants to play, my PSN ID is xenorpher. My player name while playing is Gray Jackal.

But... I saw a commercial of hot chicks flying around with an octopus! LOL I hope I mmet the hot chicks rather than the octopus.

I'm not too far into the game yet. I met up with the recon RAT group. That's about it thus far

Yeah, that's the one PMC that originated in France. The commercials are..... odd to say the least. My favorite one is the Mantis one. How do you like the game so far? After you beat it, you might want to try out MGO if you haven't done so already. I've played MGO for hours and it is so much. My favorite mode so far is the Sneaking Mission where it's basically team deathmatch but one character is Snake.

Edited by xenomorpher

I love the game so far. And... I believe I opened my mouth too soon. I don't want to see anymore of those hot chicks in the game! LOL

I am on the Third Act. And I enjoy it quite a bit. I don't have too many gripes and complaints. Except for the IPOD thing. I really really wish you could upload your own music. That would have been so much better!

I tried the MGO beta when it was open to the public, and then tried it again this morning. I was able to do a lot more this time around. I wish it was more fluid' like COD4 controls, but it is still a nice online game. I can't really complain. I didn't see you online this morning when I was on. I already have your PS3 ID added on my list. Mine is RetroDeLee. And I think the Konami ID or Gameplayer ID is DeLee

I was thinking the same thing with the iPod, you do know that certain songs gives you special abilities right? Like faster health regeneration and increased accuracy.

EDIT

Forgot to mention one more thing. When you beat it, be sure to watch the credits and EVERYTHING during the credits so you don't miss anything.

Edited by xenomorpher

Nope... I did not know that the IPOD helps with health regeneration and increased accuracy. Very nice to know.

I did hear that playing at least one game online increased accuracy, so that's why I did that yesterday.

:)

I'm soaking everything in right now! Not missing much. :)

I am really, really enjoying the game and very, very impressed with it. The quality of this game is exceptional and Mr. Kojima deserves a standing ovation for the effort and love he has put into not only this game but the entire series.

The only comment I will make is that while the cutscenes are excellent and really do tell the story, they tend to get in the way of my actually playing the game at times. There have been several occasions that I've been sitting there going "Okay, when can I play? When can I play? C'mon!!"

So far, MGS4 is my 2nd favorite game on the PS3, and maybe by the time I've completed the game it will surpass "Uncharted" and move into #1 on my list.

Mendon

Well... I beat the game! Talk about a great game! That was a very very satisfying game. I could not be any happier.

Here's a bit of a spoiler (I think)... and my favorite part.

When Snake was going back to Shadow Moses (Alaska), that ended up really getting me excited. Just playing the little bit of the PS1 game (when he was dreaming) was really cool. If you die in that dream, you die JUST like you do in the PS1 game.

Just wandering around in that place was really cool. I knew where I was going, I was seeing familiar blood stains on the walls, etc etc. I think they did an excellent job wrapping things up. The voices you hear from the PS1 game really was nice. WOW!!!

I started it over again, to play a second time through. Not sure how much I'll get through it, as I'm itching to play the online again, and possibly some COD4 again. :)

Yikes! You skipped part 3? Part 2 would have been a better one to skip. I can't get into that game that much. Part three was a really good game!

YIKES is right! Part 3 is simply AMAZING! I agree about part two being the better one to skip. 3 is just better all around, better story and game play and action. Pick up Subsistence though if you can, it is worth it and has the first two Metal Gear games.

I second what he seconded... (er.... yeah... that's what I meant)

Grab the version that has the two extra MSX games. I never did play those yet, but they are there for a rainy day. My only wish on some PS2 games: That you can play them through the PS3 online. (Perhaps you can and I just have not noticed... although I don't think you can). I think they got rid of the server for the MGS3 online stuff. Which was a shame. Lots of fun!

But yes... if you have to skip anything... skip the Second Metal Gear. I'm still trying to muddle through that game. UG!

Ok now I need to stop MGS4 and start MGS3. :|

Thanks for the heads up though. I loved MGS on PS1 and thought MGS2 was OK for the PS2 but it left me a bit burnt out.

I feel like I missed a good game in MGS3.

Need to dig that one out now and start playing it.....

You'll thank yourself later. The story and ending is so emotional and deep. The animals in the jungle really add to the realism in the game.

Yep... very good game.

Have any of you really played online that much yet?

I'm trying to like it, but I'm not really enjoying it all that well yet. Everytime I play it, I think, I should be playing COD4 instead of this crap.

Not enjoying the online part at all. What about you guys?