IGNORED

PC game controllers for emulators: what do you use?

ratfink

My biggest problem with playing classic games on emulators is the controller I'm using. How can you really get into, say, Star Wars: the Arcade Game with a PC keyboard?

I've got a Competition Pro which is fairly decent for classic Atari stuff but I'm wanting to get a classic-style gamepad for NES stuff. Any recommendations? I actually saw a guy on eBay selling a classic NES controller which he'd rigged a USB cable up to.

What do you guys use?

I've used Logitech controllers for years. I have them with or without the analog sticks. I recently bought a wired Xbox 360 controller for some "Games For Windows" games. That one works well too. But they're pricer than the Logitech models. They all work well with console emulators and MAME. And I also use them for Gametap.

I use the following controllers:

-Original Atari 2600 joystick (Via USB adapter)

-Original NES gamepad (Via USB adapter)

-Saitek P880*

-HotRod SE

-X-Arcade Trackball

I use the Atari 2600 joystick mostly for Atari and C64 gaming. Although it is used for some Arcade games too at times. The NES gampad is used for NES games. The Saitek P880 I have used for anything and everything, but usually only used when one of the other controllers do not work as well for a particular game/system. The HotRod SE is mostly for Arcade gaming, but does have the infrequent Atari/C64 use as well. The X-Arcade Trackball I use for Arcade gaming.

-Trebor

*P880 has been replaced by Saitek with the P990 line - Basically the same controller.

I have USB adapters for 2600, NES, SNES and PSX controllers.

The NES doubles as a 7800 pad, and the PSX one as a Genesis controller. Works well enough for me.

I also have a two-player X-Arcade for MAME, and with the PSX>USB, I can use InterAct steering wheel for racing games. The wheel and pedals are analog, and it actually feels very much like the Outrun arcade wheel.

Dunno why, but the PSX trackball doesn't work with the USB adapter, so ATM I don't have a good solution for trackball games. Same with a Tempest wheel.

My next purchase is probably going to be an N64>USB adapter.

..so yea, it's a mess here.