IGNORED

Why "Casual" games aren't selling and the Wii plan of disruption

legeek

How many of you guys on this site, fans of Atari and gaming in general own just a Wii this generation with NO plans to buy another system????

I'll raise my hand to that. I won't say that I'll never get a PS3/360 but I don't have any plans to do so soon.

Why? Lots of reasons.

The price of the games and the systems: $350 for a x360 or $400 for a PS3 is still way, way too much for a game system. And $60 games? Not for me, especially when great games from the last generation are so easily and cheaply available.

The style of games I like: While I enjoyed games like Doom and Dark Forces back in the day, FPS's just never became my favorite type of game. So Gears of War, Halo 3, and Resistance just aren't system sellers for me. I love classic games (of course, why else would I be here?) and Guitar Hero and Rock Band are currently my favorite kind of modern game and my PS2 has me covered there (yeah, I know all about the extra bells and whistles the PS3/X360 versions have on them... but they're no where near enough to entice me into buying those systems.)

The amount of games I already have: Even if I had all the time in the world, I wouldn't be able to enjoy all the PS2, Wii, Xbox, Gamecube, PS1, PC, Atari 2600/7800/800/Lynx games I own. The only reason I got the Wii was for the innovative controls that made it a must-buy. (Surfing the web on the TV is nice too, as are the VC games that let me play N64 and T16 games, two consoles I never picked up.)

So in short, buying an overpriced system that excels in games I don't especially care for nor have time to play makes buying a 360/PS3 unlikely any time soon. Perhaps when I can get one for around $200 and good $20 games are plentiful for it, I'll reconsider.

The only reason I can see buying a PS3 is for Blu Ray. It's cheaper or the same as a blu ray player. I was at Best Buy recently looking for one and it just seem to make sense and a better looking package as well. Nothing I want to play on it yet, but makes a good blu ray player.

Edited by atarian63