IGNORED

So, Capcom delivers Dead Rising!

Cybergoth

I'd personally have Capcom's babies if they brought a version of Dead Rising to the Wii (fixing all the crap, broken bits of the original of course).

Ding, ding ding, we have a winner here!!!!!

It really is Dead Rising and it's coming to the Wii :D

where did you read that? Also, Dead Rising is a 360 exclusive printed on all copies of the game, this isn't going to be the same game, if it is Dead Rising, but probably a spin off or entirely new game.

EDIT: guess not

http://kotaku.com/5025707/dead-risingfor-wii

I wasn't aware they were allowed to do this, so what now, do they have to produce new boxes for the 360 version?

Edited by Atari5200

Blablabla...

It is 100% Dead Rising:

http://media.wiix.info/galerie/deadrising/3[1].jpg
http://media.wiix.info/galerie/deadrising/4[1].jpg
http://media.wiix.info/galerie/deadrising/5[1].jpg
http://media.wiix.info/galerie/deadrising/6[1].jpg
http://media.wiix.info/galerie/deadrising/7[1].jpg

(Copy & Paste these...)

the one thing I don't understand is why this wouldn't have been part of N's E3 conference. This is kind of a big announcement to just not say anything at all.

This is one game where the Wii-mote should probably work really well, especially for weapons like the golf club, swords, bats, etc.

Edited by Atari5200

where did you read that? Also, Dead Rising is a 360 exclusive printed on all copies of the game, this isn't going to be the same game, if it is Dead Rising, but probably a spin off or entirely new game.

EDIT: guess not

http://kotaku.com/5025707/dead-risingfor-wii

I wasn't aware they were allowed to do this, so what now, do they have to produce new boxes for the 360 version?

The "exclusive for blank" doesn't mean a thing. New printings will have removed the blurb. My copy of RE4 for the Gamecube says "only for Gamecube" on it. Yet it's on the 'Cube, PS2 and Wii. Capcom can always say that it was an exclusive at that time and that time only.

I'd personally have Capcom's babies if they brought a version of Dead Rising to the Wii (fixing all the crap, broken bits of the original of course).

Ding, ding ding, we have a winner here!!!!!

It really is Dead Rising and it's coming to the Wii :D

Yay! Looking forward to seeing more details on this. It'll be interesting to see how many zombs they can fit on screen at once, and how it all looks.

It'll be interesting to see how many zombs they can fit on screen at once, and how it all looks.

Yeah, I'm fearing some shittastic looking environments on DR brought to the Wii. Part of the coolness of the game is the clean sharp environments, and the huge HORDES of zombies.

Yeah, I'm fearing some shittastic looking environments on DR brought to the Wii. Part of the coolness of the game is the clean sharp environments, and the huge HORDES of zombies.

I have a feeling this game will be a lot like Shadowman (A kick ass game on the Dreamcast) was on the N64. Craptastic.

i think if you have an expectation that this is going to be exactly like the 360 game you are going to be let down. I say go into it like it's a regular Wii game, expect it to be just another GC game with crappy graphics and you just might be pleasantly surprised. I for one might pick this up just for the Wii-mote control, it should work really well, especially with melee weapons.

As I've said before. Look at the first Rayman Raving Rabids. Now I don't know if it was intentional or not, but look at all the Rabids in the arena. Now if they couldn't give those things more than 3 frames of animation, I don't see how hordes of zombies will work. But again, that may have been intentional to make the arena spectators look like total garbage.

I'm sorry, but I don't get those arguments.

From a technical point of view, there should be no limitation regarding the plain number of enemies, even the PSX could easily do a game with hordes of Zombies (Try Robotron X for an example...).

What you certainly get is Wii graphics (what else?), but that should be all the difference. With good controls I'm sure it will be Captastic! :)

From a technical point of view, there should be no limitation regarding the plain number of enemies, even the PSX could easily do a game with hordes of Zombies (Try Robotron X for an example...).

I'm thinking of State of Emergency on the PS2. That game did have a bunch of enemies, but most just ran around the mall 95% of them just doing the exact same thing.

The zombies in DR move independantly of each other. It really was...is... an incredible game.

The game is one I'd be very suprised if the Wii could pull off without a hitch, but time will tell. Will be interesting to see the reviews of this one for sure. I've learned to not get hopes up when talking about the Wii though. Helps ease the disappointment.

Not that it matters I guess. In this instance I'm waiting on Dead Rising 2, not Dead Rising Wii version.

I can't imagine that AI code consumes a significant percentage of processing power of todays games. It's just plain number crunching, every CPU can do that dead fast these days. Think of the hundreds of little Populous people on the Miggy. Or think of the first FIFA Soccer for the Genesis: 21 totally independent and extremely realistic moving soccer players. And the average zombie should be dumber and slower than a soccer player :)

Also, the AI code should be the very same in both versions. That's one of the easiest bits to port, just needs recompiling on the new target.

I guess "State of Emergency" just had a badly programmed AI. It's my overall impression that in many modern games AI is just an afterthought ;)

I can't imagine that AI code consumes a significant percentage of processing power of todays games. It's just plain number crunching, every CPU can do that dead fast these days.

I disagree 100%.

Even the 360 seems to have issues the more independently moving characters there are.

Look at a game like 99 Nights. Cool game, 100's of individual independently moving enemies, significant slowdown when the battlefield gets heavy. Hell there's slowdown in DR on the 360.

You seem to think there's a handful of zombies in DR that just stand around waiting to mowed down?

Not in the least. There's 100's. They push carts around, they lunge and run at you, zombies aren't even the only threat in the game. It's chock full of other colorful (and speedy) characters. Cult members, killer crazies and don't forget the scared civilians.

I know the Wii is supposedly 1 billion times more powerful than the Gamecube, but to me it doesn't seem it. It kinda seems a lot like a Gamecube. You say this game will kick ass on the Wii, I say it'll be crippled.

Time will tell who is right I guess. Im glad you're still thinking positive though. I think many gamers are disenchanted with Nintendo and the Wii after E3. It's guys like you that keep the moral up!! :thumbsup:

I know the Wii is supposedly 1 billion times more powerful than the Gamecube, but to me it doesn't seem it. It kinda seems a lot like a Gamecube. You say this game will kick ass on the Wii, I say it'll be crippled.

Make that 2 times more powerful ;)

I just think todays games are much more scalable. I think a PS3 game making maximum use of the hardware would still be doable "good enough" on a PS2. A little lower resolution, a little less polygons, maybe lower resolution textures, not the latest generation of shading, bump mapping, light sourcing, particle or physics effects or whatever other buzz effect has to be scaled down (Hell, the Wii can't even do proper anti-aliasing :roll:), but the essential gameplay should generally come down intact.

Remember Total Annihilation or stuff like that? It would compute hundreds of units on a semi 3D terrain with a ~100MHz Pentium processor, so that just can't be the limiting factor IMO.

Time will tell who is right I guess. Im glad you're still thinking positive though. I think many gamers are disenchanted with Nintendo and the Wii after E3. It's guys like you that keep the moral up!! :thumbsup:

I'll try my best. Nintendos no-show at the E3 was a total disaster, disappointing as hell. Instead of announcing "games", they introduce two more gimmicks. (Though the revolutionary Mario Kart wheel last year was probably even worse...)

To quote IGN: "Wii Music, [...] is a game so dumbed down that it practically plays itself."

I'm trusting Capcom though. Since the Harvey Birdman game wasn't released in Europe, they have a flawless Wii record here so far :)

my main point of interest is to see how this works with the Wii-mote. I do not have Dead Rising, to be honest, there are just to many good games on the 360 that I haven't got around to Dead Rising yet. But if the Wii-mote works well, I might just wait for the Wii version. Yes I said it.

As I've said before. Look at the first Rayman Raving Rabids. Now I don't know if it was intentional or not, but look at all the Rabids in the arena. Now if they couldn't give those things more than 3 frames of animation, I don't see how hordes of zombies will work. But again, that may have been intentional to make the arena spectators look like total garbage.

Rayman Raving Rabbits is a terrible example. You have a simple arena with one character walking around it door to door and the cardboard cutout Rabbits. There is simply no way that they did that based on system specs - I'd going with either style or laziness (frankly I'm thinking laziness). The PSOne could push that level of polygons!

The Cube even had quite a few games with a bunch of enemies on screen - the Star Wars Rogue Leader games are a great example and although they are simple little guys, I believe we saw 100ish Pikmin onscreen too.

that's why I always note with Raving Rabids, "was it intentional" because there's no reason why with that many of them on screen it should look as bad as it does, it really is terrible, it almost has to be on purpose...right?

I think it's because they reorganized the project at the last minute. The game was supposed to be another 3D platformer, but was changed to mini-games as the developers got used to programming for the Wii Remote. Since the Arena was not in the original assets for the game, they had to whip something up in short order.

Most of the graphical changes were probably for multi-platform support. For example, the Rabbids originally had fur. That was a very cool effect to see rendered on the Wii. Then when the game came out, the Rabbids were nekkid. That was a major disappointment from a graphical quality standpoint. Yet it meant that the graphics were consistent between the Wii and PS2. (Boo! PS2 is the ban of the Wii's existence. Boo!)

Thankfully, Red Steel DID show off quite a few cool effects. It didn't push the machine by any means, but there were definitely some great examples of lighting and fog in that game.

On the subject of having many characters on screen, the problem is unlikely to be the AI. Programmers are lazy by nature, and won't develop complex AI routines when simple path finding and state machines will do the trick just fine. Rendering is actually more of a difficulty in 3D than it is in 2D. Modern GPUs can push thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of large sprites per second and not even bat an eye. (I remember doing an OpenGL program just to demonstrate a POC for an Open Source RTS game. A GeForce 2 GTS had very little problem rendering 1000 sprites at 60 fps.)

3D presents unique challenges, though. Can a given GPU render 1000 zombies at 60 fps? Well, that depends on how many polygons we're pushing, how many textels we're rendering, how many lighting effects we're using, and how many pixel shaders we're running. You could potentially have ten thousand zombies that look like crap or two zombies that look near photo-realistic. It all depends upon the quality you're aiming for.

Edited by jbanes

Didn't the Dynasty Warriors series on the ps2 and xbox have tons of enemies running around at once? Dead Rising on Wii all comes down to control. If they nail the controls and it's fun to play, it'll be worth a purchase. If they botch it with a bunch of confusing and unresponsive gestures or waggle, it'll be a pass.

A bit more info on the Wii version of Dead Rising is contained in an article LOCATED HERE ON KOTAKU.

Some changes they are reporting:

New Name: Dead Rising: Zombie Sacrifice

No Otis

No Photo Missions

New Camera Angle that is more Like RE4 than the original Dead Rising

New Enemies

New Weapons

New Waggle Controls

Not sure what to think at this point. Guess wait and see is the rule of the day.

Mendon

A bit more info on the Wii version of Dead Rising is contained in an article LOCATED HERE ON KOTAKU.

Some changes they are reporting:

New Name: Dead Rising: Zombie Sacrifice

No Otis

No Photo Missions

New Camera Angle that is more Like RE4 than the original Dead Rising

New Enemies

New Weapons

New Waggle Controls

Not sure what to think at this point. Guess wait and see is the rule of the day.

I've always hated the photo missions and thought that it was the major downfall of this game. Now that they will be removed I think that this will be an excellent game. Who realy wants to be forced to take pictures of zombies when you could be killing them instead.

Mendon