IGNORED

Paid Online Access for Wii?

godslabrat

I read an article which mentioned, very briefly, that a paid online service is in the works for the Wii. Given the features of XBL, I would very much be in favor of this... but i haven't heard any details, and honestly, I haven't heard many pundits parroting the info. Is this a real possibility, or just someone's pipe dream?

There's been mentions of it, but no one has said anything about the Wii getting a XBL service, so there's no reason to expect that.

It's too unclear what they meant, it could be something as simple as DLC being introduced for games to be purchased.

Edited by Atariboy

All the games already have internet access for free on the NDS and Wii.

What would be the diffrence between the way it is now and then?

You can do everything you did on XBL that you can do with the Wii Channel. They already charge people for the so called emulation of games on the Wii.

This is a bluff

If they could throw some cash at their netwrok and beef it up...It might be worth a shit is what the difference would be. ;)

I expect sooner or later Sony will start charging as well. The demand for online is there for gamers, it's hard to provide it for free when you consider how much equipment and upkeep and upgrades cost.

You can do everything you did on XBL that you can do with the Wii Channel. They already charge people for the so called emulation of games on the Wii.

This is a bluff

Nintendo has stated themselves that there will be online services you have to pay for in the future for the Wii. What exactly that means isn't known yet.

I don't think anyone has to worry about things like online multiplayer becoming a pay service, unless its something like Phantasy Star Online.

This is what that article was referencing. Wasn't a XBL network.

Taken from Wikipedia...

"Pay & Play

At the 2008 Game Developers Conference, Nintendo announced that while the Wi-Fi Connection will remain a free service, there are plans for additional services that will have to be paid for. Games with such premium features will include the standard WFC mark along with an additional mark indicating that there are additional services that can be paid for.[1]. The first games to feature this were released in Japan as part of WiiWare on the 25th March 2008. The first games to feature this included Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King, Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipittan Wii and Lonpos and enabled additional downloadable content for an extra fee.[2] The first retail Wii title to feature Pay & Play functionality will be Samba De Amigo.[3]"