IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 41: Fathom

Ze_ro

OK, just to clear this up...

there ARE 3 trident pieces on Level 3. I just didn't find the third one. But I'm not sure if it's still possible to uncover another trident piece after the clouds have turned grey. Maybe that's where I went wrong.

Anyway... I found the 3rd piece by looking at a FAQ that exists somewhere on the Internet, which, among other things, lists all the trident part locations. But I'm not sure if I should post the score of that game here, because basically, I cheated. Or isn't that cheating? I still had to play the game, after all...

Anyway, I don't have time to play this game any more, and improving the score would mean mapping out the 4th level. It always takes multiple tries to map out one level since you run out of purple clouds before you have explored all the screens. And to try again, you have to reach that level again, which means another 10 minutes of playing time, which goes up with every level. Though in levels 1-4, I could always find one trident piece at the top screen of the RIGHTMOST stack of sky screens (NOT at the leftmost ones, as was stated earlier here! This rule, in fact, already gets broken on level 2, where the 2nd piece is in the 2nd stack from the left, as it is on level 3. So much for hints...)

Yes, you can find a trident piece after the clouds turn grey - that lets you cover a few more screens on each mapping run.

What I did to map out each level was to always search unmapped areas first, even if I knew a trident piece was already mapped for the level.

While mapping later levels, I didn't worry about maxing my score while playing thru the lower levels. Only after I finished mapping level 7 did I play a game where I collected as many extra clouds and sea horses as I could.

I did notice that if I uncovered a trident piece and accidently flew off the screen w/out collecting it that I had to fly all the way back down to the water before it would show up again.

Edited by SpiceWare

I've checked all the cloud areas multiple times with both grey and pink ones. Do you have to alternate between water and cloud when collecting trident pieces? Hmmmmmm

Trident piece 1 is in the water, and the other 2 pieces are in the air, so yes, you do alternate in a sequence like this when collecting pieces (starfish) in levels 1 & 2:

- Piece 1 (Water)

- Pieces 2 & 3 (Air)

Levels 3 and beyond: I suggest making a map for these levels.

Edited by iangamer

I would like to join the HSC again after a few year absence.

I love Fathom so this would be a fun place to start.

Do I have to wait for season 6, or can I start in the middle?

(Sorry to semi-hijack)

I would like to join the HSC again after a few year absence.

I love Fathom so this would be a fun place to start.

Do I have to wait for season 6, or can I start in the middle?

(Sorry to semi-hijack)

You can start any time you want. :)

I started playing in week 18.

I've checked all the cloud areas multiple times with both grey and pink ones. Do you have to alternate between water and cloud when collecting trident pieces? Hmmmmmm

Did you try flying past the Volcano to the left?

Each level seems to be the same. You collect seahorses in the water (and stars if they are present) until your seagull symbol appears. Then you collect the rest of the stars in the air. Once you have 3 pieces you return to the dolphin screen and swim down to free the mermaid. The higher the level, the further down you have to swim and the higher and further to the left you have to fly. This has been my experience through level 4.

I think this is right, I'll double check it later. The colors listed below the volcanos may be different depending on how your Atari and TV are adjusted.

# = trident piece for level #

V = Volcano, color below

S = Start Point

M = Mermaid(how far down depends on level #)

-- -- -- -- -- -- - -
 -7 -- -- 6- -- 6- - -
 -- -- -5 -- -- -- - -
 -- 7- -- 4- -- -- - 4
 -- 6- -- -- 7- 54 3 3
 -- -- -- -- -3 -2 - 2
 -- -- -- -- -- -- 1 1
V--V--V--V--V--V--V-S-V
l b b y g p 1
i r l e r u 2
g o u l e r -
h w e l e p -
t n o n l 5
w e -
g -
r -
e M
e
n

So if the game stops after the 7th level, then how did Todd Rogers manage over a million points? :?

--Zero

I went over to Twin Galaxies, searched it [Fathom], and then found out that he shot the moon on a number of games. Here's another one:

Asteroids - Atari 2600 - 4,210,100 (ranked 2nd) with game var. 1 with the difficulty switch on B.

HSC score from Nov. 2004:

keilbaca: 84,440 (ranked 1st)

My guess is specially hacked ROMs, continuous play for about 1/2 a week nonstop, or ROMs made for tournament play (Twin Galaxies does score tournaments). Either way would be right IMO. :|

Now that the week is over, anyone want to compare their maps? In fact, if you make a really nice one, you might want to think about submitting it to Albert. AA has a bunch of other maps in the 2600 Archive section, but no Fathom map.

--Zero

Here is the map I had (which I used to complete the game, thus eliminating me from competition this past week.) I did NOT make this map. I received it with the cart I won on Ebay. Digital Press has the same map on their website. I do not know who made this map, but it is 100% accurate. I'd submit it for Albert to put up on his maps section, but I don't know who to credit for its creation.

Enjoy!

post-9712-1214436790_thumb.png

Here is the map I had (which I used to complete the game, thus eliminating me from competition this past week.) I did NOT make this map. I received it with the cart I won on Ebay. Digital Press has the same map on their website. I do not know who made this map, but it is 100% accurate. I'd submit it for Albert to put up on his maps section, but I don't know who to credit for its creation.

Enjoy!

Hmmm...I must still be missing something. Are you supposed to fly through the volcanoes to get further left on the map? I thought they stopped you from progressing further in those directions.

Enjoy!

Hmmm...I must still be missing something. Are you supposed to fly through the volcanoes to get further left on the map? I thought they stopped you from progressing further in those directions.

The volcano furthest to the right always prevents you from passing it. The first volcano to the left prevents you from passing it on level 1. On level 2 the steady stream of lava turns to alternating lava "fire balls" that you have to carefully avoid. Each volcano to the left allows you to pass as it becomes necessary.