IGNORED

Anybody know how to make a scream?

jbs30000

I'm working on a 2600 version of Space Harrier. In the arcade, when he gets hit by a weapon he lets out a AAAaaaahhhhhh.

Now obviously I can't do as good a job as the arcade, but I'm sure somebody can come up with something better than what I've come up with so far.

I cut and pasted the bits from my program that have to do with Space Harrier screaming:

dim Crash_Counter=k
dim Vol_Count=l.m
AUDC1=1: AUDF1=18
Vol_Count=15.0
for Crash_Counter=128 to 0 step -1
	AUDV1=Vol_Count
	drawscreen
	if Vol_Count>0 then Vol_Count=Vol_Count-0.25
next

If anybody can come up with something slightly more realistic or better than what I have I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

I think Heaven posted a program with the scream in an 8-bit thread about digi sound.

Maybe rip the sample from there, or maybe even the MAME ROM. Even the arcade game seems to use a low-quality sample, probably 4 KHz, 4 bit.

You could probably make something workable with under 512 bytes of space. Just repeat it, then shift right once then twice for a decaying volume effect.

I'll search for heaven's post.

As for ripping the sound....I'm not sure how I could make that work for bB. If it's possible, then I've never done anything like that before, and frankly, I wouldn't know where to start. I mean, once I had a wav or mp3, or whatever, I wouldn't know how to use it in bB.

Edited by jbs30000

This is a little premature for me. I planned to play with the various tones to see if I could simulate certain phonemes of the English language without sampling, but I haven't gotten to the point where I needed sounds for my game yet. If I find something that you can use, I'll post it here.

Wow, I'm really surprised that it's apparently difficult to write a scream routine, especially when there are people like Lord Mike who are really good at music and sound effects.

Whaa? Me? :cool: Well... thank you for the compliment! :) I'll start working on it and see what I can do for ya! :) Don't expect miracles, though!! ;)

Well, you did an excellent job of the theme music for my Tron game. Which I'll have to remake because it's so buggy.

But anyway, if you can come up with something that would be great. Thank you.

Try this... let me know if I'm getting anywhere close to what you're looking for...

AUDC0=12  
  AUDC1=15 : REM also try 3 here, can't decide which value I like better!

gameloop
  AUDV0=10
  AUDV1=10

AUDF0 = 12
  AUDF1 = 7

for i = 0 to 20
 drawscreen
  next

for i=0 to 19
   AUDF0 = i + 12
   AUDF1 = i + 7
   drawscreen
  next

AUDV0=0
  AUDV1=0

for i=0 to 255
   drawscreen
  next

goto gameloop

You know (except for the all caps REM :D ) That's pretty darn good. I'll try sticking into my program sometime later today or tomorrow and see how it works.

Thank you.

I got lucky... I was tired and I mistakenly put the original pitch values as the distortion values by accident, and I got a pleasing result! I originally did not mean to put a pure tone in there, but along with the distortion tone in the second channel, it's not too bad, I think! I've listened to variations on the "scream" so many times, I became numb to it and had no idea if it was any good or not! I'm glad you like it! :)

So, fate worked in your favor! Had I not made that typo, I'd still be fighting to find something that didn't sound like a giant fart! ;)