IGNORED

ID this console!

Turnspike

I browsed thru the descriptions of consoles in the Hardware section of AtariAge, and I am having trouble placing this console i have into any of those categorys. What I have is a 6 switch CX-2600 (not heavy), but on the pictured console on the site, it looks like the controller and power jack comes out the upper half of the console's case. What I have has the jacks coming out of the bottom half of the case. Another difference is that the piping is black, and as a cool plus I have an Atari Super Service sticker on the bottom.

I am attacking a pic to better show what I am talking about.

post-824-1029806621_thumb.png

I have one as well. the description on the label reads as follows:

MFG. By Atari, INC Sunnyvale CA

Model NO CX-2600

FCC Type Approval NO. TV-363

Valid Only When operated Pursuant

To FCC Rules, Part 15

Covered By US patnents 3.793.483

3.900.866: 3.723.652 3.728.480; RE 28507

RE 28598 & Patent Pending

S.N. 17678N

It's one of the 6 switches made in the Sunnyvale plant. Does your have a similar label?

Atari2600Lives

The six-switchers made in Sunnyvale asre the heavy-sixers, right? My label says:

MANUFACTURED FOR ATARI, INC. BY

TRW ELECTRONIC COMPONETS

COMPANY IN TAIWAN

MODEL NO. CX-2600

FCC TYPE APPROVAL NO. TV-363

VALID ONLY WHEN OPERATED PURSUANT

TO FCC RULES, PART 15

COVERED BY U.S. PATENTS 3,793,483;

3,900,886; 3,723,652; 3,728,480; RE 28507

RE 28598 & PATENT PENDING

SN: 81368174

AFAIK the joystick plugs on all the six switches come out of the bottom half. I'm not sure about the black piping. I havn't seen one like that. Maybe the orange just got rubbed off???

The easiest way I have found to tell them apart is to look at the sides. The one on the left is a heavy sixer and the side plastic is much thicker than the regular sixer on the right.

sixs.jpg

@ Atari2600Lives

I'm not sure what sears console you have. Could you post a pic of it? AFAIK there were only 4 different sears consoles made. The heavy sixer, a regular sixer, a 4 switch, and the sears video arcade II.

My console isn't a heavy-sixer. It has that thinner, stream-lined case the later models have. But it is the only six switch I have, so maybe that's why the position of the controller jacks threw me for a curve. And I think you may be right in thinking that the orange piping may have rubbed off. I examined it very closely a while ago, and there is just a smidgeon of orange paint on one of the edges, however all the other painted type on the console looks great, so I assumed that wasn't the case at first. So it seems I just have a common VCS CX-2600 (with a cool sticker).