IGNORED

ABC To The VCS - 2nd edition

rolenta

I've begun working on a second edition of ABC To The VCS, after receiving letters from several people looking for the first edition. Chris Cavanaugh has agreed to edit the book and Michael Thomasson will supply the cover.

The book will be similar to the original in text but will also include b&w screen shots for each game, and will cover all of the information that was in the first book, along with all of the prototypes and homebrews that have been discovered/released since 1995.

My question here is how much interest in there in the book? The first edition was photocopied so I could more or less print them in batches of 50 or so as demand warranted. The second edition will be professional printed and I'm trying to determine exactly how many copies to print. One thousand copies of Phoenix 3 were printed. ABC To The VCS' print run will not be anywhere near there. Also, I cannot determine a price per copy until the book is completed.

Also, is there anything that anyone wants in the book that was missing from the first edition?

Thanks for your help!

So far, only chapter one has been redone and that came out to 10 pages. This includes a ten-point font and 23 screen shots (I have not yet added any new games). The same text took up 6 pages in the first edition. At this ratio the new book will have approximately 260 pages.

The over-all size of the book will be 8 x 5.5, or the same dimensions as the first two editions of Phoenix.

Leonard, a coupla years ago when I started getting back into the 2600, I remember sending you an e-mail, looking for this. You let me know that you were mulling around a re-release. Consider me interested. Let me know if I can help out with any of the layout/editing chores. Even the TOC would be fun to proof.

Sniderman

Never saw the first, but I'd definitely be interested in a re-released copy. Obviously whether or not I could get one would depend on price. If it stays under $15 I'd definitely get one. As it hits $20 or $25, I'd have to think about it.

I'd still want one, but I don't know if I could justify the purchase as it increases in price. I did buy Phoenix 3rd Ed for $25, though, so you never know....

Count me in for a copy.  One thing I'd like to see is the games listed in alphabetical order, instead of by categories.  Just easier to find games that way.

Well that was the whole point of ABC To The VCS, arranging the games in order by category. And of course, there's always the index in the back of the book which is in alphabetical order.

Is Cavanaugh good at editing grammar and punctuation? (PLEASE don't take that the wrong way -- I highly respect the books you've written and all the research you've done, and you're an excellent writer; and when we met at World of Atari '98, you were really nice and didn't act arrogant like some certain 'zine people...)

I only ask because a revised edition of ABC to the VCS, with all known 2600 games, could easily become a definitive resource for all collectors. It could quickly graduate from being a mere curio to being a valuable resource; Via word of mouth, you could wind up getting orders from everyone who visits AA, just for starters. I find the alphabetical organization much more convenient than the way the DP Collector's Guide is arranged, for instance (Atari titles, then third-party, then foreign titles, etc. etc.)

CF again

Obviously whether or not I could get one would depend on price. If it stays under $15 I'd definitely get one. As it hits $20 or $25, I'd have to think about it.

Price is determined by several factors, most importantly the number of pages per copy, and the number of copies printed. It is more economical per copy to print 1000 copies than it is to print 200 or 300. This of course affects the cover price. On the other hand, I don't believe this book warrants 1000 (or even 500) copies.

After printing, books have to be marked up. Bookstores need to get their 30% off cover price and distributors call for 55% below cover price. And because of laws against unfair competition, I am not allowed to charge lower than cover price to the general public (unless I'm marking the book down for clearance). I do not intend to sell ABC To The VCS through stores so the cover price will not be marked up. The book will carry the Rolenta Press imprint but most likely will not have an ISBN.