IGNORED

New Tempest DEMO Comments

Kjmann

Alright Folks, We need your input on the new control routine. So please let us know if the control in the New DEMO we just released is better and to your liking.

Here is a link to the File:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...t&id=103839

Remember that this will not work with MYDOS. It has been tested with Atari DOS 2.5, Some Small Game Loaders And APE Loader.

Edited by kjmann

I just played through all the levels available on the demo. I'm currently using the Atari800Win Plus 3.1 emulator. The players ship seems to control well enough with the flight stick I'm resigned to utilize. The action certainly does move rapidly though. The enemy ships spawn and reach the outer edge much faster than either the arcade Tempest or the 2K version. This does make it quite challenging. I'm still not certain how I was activating the super zapper. Possibly it was pulling back on the stick or a combination of that and the fire button at once. It seemed to happen when I did not want it too though. So a better control over the SZ would be good. Perhaps an option to use the Space Bar for it's activation. Another thing that would be an appreciated option would be the inclusion of the ability to use the paddle controllers.

Over all it's a very nice representation of what the game will eventually be when completed. Thanks for the opportunity to try it out.

ok. finally I had some time to play on real 130XE PAL.

first of all:

- Controls. I have to say that I like it... I had no difficulties using them, Zapper as well no prob. I have competition pro joystick. Controls are far far better as f.e. Gyruss

- gfx glitches on PAL

the multiplexor gets sometimes out of sync esp when nasties are hunting you at the edge. in level 3/4 I died several times just because suddenly the sprite was there.

when drawing the screen the pictures rolls so I guess that the enabling of the display list does not happen in VBL? what about a level intermission text message and you are drawing the screen in background then enable the new screen in VBL when entering the level?

- gameplay

well...do not know if that is a bug but compared to my lovely T2000 jaguar version, when all enemies killed in a level and you are flying to the center ("avoiding the spikes") you were able to shoot the spikes if you are fast enough so you don't had to avoid the spikes if my memories serve me right. I have no clue how it should be at the end of the day as I never played Tempest in Arcade nor on my DS/GBA. I prefer the Jaguar Version or Space Giraffe... ;)

but that's all I have to admit... btw. How do I know how many enemies I have to shoot?

ok. finally I had some time to play on real 130XE PAL.

first of all:

- Controls. I have to say that I like it... I had no difficulties using them, Zapper as well no prob. I have competition pro joystick. Controls are far far better as f.e. Gyruss

- gfx glitches on PAL

the multiplexor gets sometimes out of sync esp when nasties are hunting you at the edge. in level 3/4 I died several times just because suddenly the sprite was there.

when drawing the screen the pictures rolls so I guess that the enabling of the display list does not happen in VBL? what about a level intermission text message and you are drawing the screen in background then enable the new screen in VBL when entering the level?

- gameplay

well...do not know if that is a bug but compared to my lovely T2000 jaguar version, when all enemies killed in a level and you are flying to the center ("avoiding the spikes") you were able to shoot the spikes if you are fast enough so you don't had to avoid the spikes if my memories serve me right. I have no clue how it should be at the end of the day as I never played Tempest in Arcade nor on my DS/GBA. I prefer the Jaguar Version or Space Giraffe... ;)

but that's all I have to admit... btw. How do I know how many enemies I have to shoot?

I'm pretty sure that only T2K allows shooting of spikes, in the arcade version, Jaguar classic tempest and maybe even in Tempest plus you have to avoid the spikes, IIRC.

Well,

I like the game and its controls right now. The gameplay is fantastic !! But gameplay intermissions (like Heaven said) - maybe thats something to think about. Still one should avoid and NOT shoot the spikes, but maybe the message to avoid the spikes should appear a little earlier, e.g. one second before you have to...

- Andreas Koch

I'm pretty sure that only T2K allows shooting of spikes, in the arcade version, Jaguar classic tempest and maybe even in Tempest plus you have to avoid the spikes, IIRC.

You can definitely shoot the spikes in the original arcade Tempest. Some of the higher levels even start out with a spike in every lane, so if you couldn't shoot them, you'd always die at the end of the level.

You can definitely shoot the spikes in the original arcade Tempest. Some of the higher levels even start out with a spike in every lane, so if you couldn't shoot them, you'd always die at the end of the level.

This is some great feed back. The spikes can be Shot at the end of the level but only if you have the partical lazer (yellow Bullets).

But gameplay intermissions (like Heaven said) - maybe thats something to think about.

This is Something that will be in the final game but not the demo (at least for right now that is).

- gfx glitches on PAL

We think we have that one licked now. It will be in the next demo.

Heaven - we will send you the newest full version soon for you to check it out. =)

I'm glad to hear that you all like the new control routine.

Edited by kjmann

Pretty sure I mentioned somewhere else - maybe better to use joystick Up instead of down to engage the SuperZapper.

I found that I accidentally used it numerous times using my "real" joystick, as well as my PS1 gamepad on the emu.

Yes I remember. =) we were considering making this a selectable option in the menu ( choose up or down for superzapper )