IGNORED

Finally got an 8-bit on my desk

phaxda

Friday I picked up a 1980ish Panasonic Quintrix II compact television at the thrift store. I've had my eye out for small TV to use as a monitor ever since someone posted that picture of the classic "Atari User's Desk." I thought, why hide my lovely Atari 800 in the closet? It belongs out in the open, where I can hone my l337 programming skilz. 800 is kinda big though...

So one thing that happened earlier that brought me closer to my goal was finding an 800XL on eBay for $15 shipped. No cables, but I already had some. I figured this would be an upgrade from my ancient 800 and also take up far less room on my desk. Plus, it was a pretty good deal, I think. eBay Auction -- Item Number: 320255027454

So the XL showed up in the mail and was FILTY. Definitely used by a smoker, likely for a decade or more. I expected this, given the auction pictures, but I took one of my own. I call this one BEFORE:

post-6271-1214202501_thumb.jpg

After a good scrubbing, I present, AFTER:

post-6271-1214202968_thumb.jpg

So now we are ready to hook this on up to my nice small compact TV:

post-6271-1214202865_thumb.jpg

With a special message to AA, using those awesome prog skills I have:

post-6271-1214202903_thumb.jpg

Now I just need to get an SIO2PC and I'll be rolling. Might try to find somewhere to stash my 1050 drive as well.

I also had fun hooking up a DTV converter to this teeny TV and watching the Olympic trials. I am not sure why I did this; we get cable...

Sorry this post is weird. I am tired!

Easy - just put the 1050 under the XL and load disks Amiga/ST style. It's the way I do it when I can be bothered with floppies.

That eBay page isn't showing any details - seems these days they don't keep them for long once an auction's over.

Edited by Rybags

Since the guy was a smoker you're really lucky that the cream bit hasn't yellowed, or at least it looks in the pictures as though it hasn't yellowed.

The nicotine acts as a barrier to the sunlight so they usually clean up nicely :D

You got it. There was a nice layer of tar-based protection on this puppy.

Next paycheck, I am getting an SIO2PC. It looks really cool--hopefully my feeble mind can figure it out!

Since the guy was a smoker you're really lucky that the cream bit hasn't yellowed, or at least it looks in the pictures as though it hasn't yellowed.

The nicotine acts as a barrier to the sunlight so they usually clean up nicely :D

You got it. There was a nice layer of tar-based protection on this puppy.

Next paycheck, I am getting an SIO2PC. It looks really cool--hopefully my feeble mind can figure it out!

I hear that the USB version can do more, but I have not got one yet :(

The Serial version is pretty straight forward when you use APE for Window$ (thats if you are running Window$!)

I hear that the USB version can do more, but I have not got one yet :(

The Serial version is pretty straight forward when you use APE for Window$ (thats if you are running Window$!)

I don't know how much more the usb version can do, but its interface is likely to be supported on computers long after the serial interface is forgotten. FWIW, the usb version is straight forward too.

I have SIO2PC USB version (bought from AA user classics) and I am very satisfied (APE also works with Vista so no problems for the future - Vista apart :-D).

I also use SIO2SD (bought from AA user Pigula) when I don't want to connect a PC and want a stand-alone solution.

Edited by Philsan