IGNORED

Your Videogame Setup

nashnooga

I don't know where to put this topic exactly but...

I know most of you probably have multiple systems, but if you are like me you have no place to put them. I was wondering where you put them, did you make some kind of cabinet with shelves or something?

I personally have them on the ground near my dresser where my tv sits. Except for my 2600 which is on the desk next to the tv, and the nes is in the other room. :?:

of course this depends on how much space you have...and on how many consoles you have set up. i use a metro steel wire rack shelf with 5 levels standing around 8 ft high and 4 ft wide. the good thing about these shelves is that they expandable and open so your wires can snake anywhere they need to, thru shelve levels or out the backside. i f you cant picture what i'm talking about think of the shelves you'd see in a professional kitchen or garage. these things became sort of "loft living funky" and trendy hardware stores carry them for marked up prices although they can be bought directly from kitchen supply companies. mine currently holds 26 consoles, 18 of which are hooked up and ready to play, via a tricky radio shack switch box system.

Well I don't have the most or best consoles, but this is my setup. In my basement(it's not damp or leaky or anything) I have some old orange couches that were given to me(really comfy, and tons of them) and I have 4 tv's. 1 25" and 3 19". On my 25" I have my dreamcast, and an antenna hooked up. on one 19" i have my playstation. on another 19" I have my Genesis. on another 19" I have a super nintendo. Then in my bedroom I have 1 19" and it has my NES, VCS(currently not working :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( ), Sega Saturn and n64. I will probably soon have a goldstar 3DO also in my bedroom, and maybe move the n64 to the basement. And this doesn't count since it's not consoles, but is gaming related. I have 2 computers in my bedroom also. One of them is a 1.1ghz AMD Athlon, and can run pretty much any game I try on it. The other is a pentium pro 180 mhz, and they're both networked together. The Pentium Pro 180mhz can run Super nintendo emulators and a lot of older games like duke nukem 3d, so I can have one person on my pentium pro 180mhz, then one person on this computer, and play versus each other over the network :). Oh yeah, by the way none of the tv's I use for gaming were purchased, they were all found on curbs and repaired. I wouldn't purchase that many tv's for my limited amount of consoles.

As cheesey as it sounds I have a stack of milk crates piled up next to my tv & surround sound set-up in my room. I like the milk crates cause they are sturdy, stackable, and U can open uo the backs very easily to run cords, wire thru them. it also allows me to throw the controller with the system and not worry bout it getting tangled up with other systems. And it is that whole you're not supposed to tachinally have them, I know it sounds stupid but lil things in life are what get me thru. Granted they look cheep, cause they are, but it is great for systems, gaming mags whatever. And it adds some color to the room, cause I have oranges ones, blues ones, black ones, purple ones and a loner Brown one (perfect for a Model 2 Genesis, with 32X and Sega CD).

I have video game stuff all over the place. PS2 on the main TV in the den, Xbox, DC, 7800 and 2600 (that one's temporary) in the bedroom, and more stuff than I care to list in the basement on an assortment of old tables, organizers, plastic shelves and boxes.

One cool thing I did find after a whole bunch of looking is these plastic wire guide clips that have foam tape sticky on them. They cost something like $0.69 apiece. I stuck them inside the TV cabinet along the sides to run joystick cables. No more tangles or cables draped in front of the screen.

Eric

I guess some of them are hard to see...

On top: 1200XL (with 1050 + 1010), PCEngine Laptop, Multistandard Sony WEGA (PAL, NTSC, SECAM)

First Shelf: Saturn, Dreamcast, SNES

Second Shelf: Supergrafx, PSone (with pocketstations), PCEngine Duo RX

Bottom Shelf: 7800, Jaguar and CD, N64

I've swapped out the Saturn (trying to sell it) and N64 (its downstairs on the big TV for Mario party sessions) right now and installed my Colecovision and Intellivision...

Just past the printer on thge left, is my PC and ST setup (my old faithful 4Mb STe)...

sTeVE

In the living room, we have a Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, SNES, and Nin 64(and a NUON) hooked up to our 32 inch. In the bedroom, hooked up to our 27 inch we have a NES, 7800, and 2600. We also have a Jaguar hooked up to another monitor thingy that my husband just had to have (the tv we had there worked just fine) :roll:

º º Consoles Racks

consoles.jpg

The far left rack currently holds 8 consoles. Extra shelves have been added. The rack was purchased at Wal-Mart, but they haven't had any in a while. It's a Sauder brand.

The far right rack currently holds 12 consoles. Extra shelves have been added. The rack was purchased at Lowe's, but the brand is unknown.

The center rack currently holds 3 consoles, with room for about 4-6 more with extra shelving. Extra shelves have not yet been added. The rack is Sauder brand and was purchased at Lowe's.

º º Games Rack (1 of 3)

games_rack.jpg

The rack was purchased from The Video Store Shopper for $189. It holds NES, SNES, N64, VHS and CD cases with no problem. Cases can also be purchased from the VSS. Two Atari 2600 cartridges will fit in each VHS, non-hub case.

º º Storage Rack (1 of 2)

more_stuff.jpg

Standard bookcase purchased from Lowe's. Extra shelves have been added.

And yes, that's my original 2600, purchased in 1977 from Otasco. :D

ò¿ó                       smiling_to_games-2.gif

All of my systems are hooked up to my 31-inch Panasonic in my living room.

Jag/Jag CD is sitting on top of my entertainment center.

Dreamcast is on a shelf next to the TV, in a separate area behind a glass door.

The 7800 is on the bottom shelf below the Dreamcast.

My 2600 and 5200 are side by side on the coffee table, wires running the short distance to the TV.

The Lynx is in a carrying case on a bookcase next to the entertainment center.

Looking at all the cool pictures, I was wonder how do you all who have your consoles on shelves access the cartridge port?

Like Jet Boot Jack (STeve), how do you access your Jaguar? Do you pull out the unit from the shelf to change carts and CDs? Or do you slip your cart and hand into the crevice above the unit and try to blindly shove the cart into the slot? I'm just thinking it might be a pain to keep pulling the system out to change carts and dragging all the cables that connect into the back along with the system. Cables would get tangled up or become loose all the time. But then again, trying to blindly insert carts into the Jag at an angle might bend some pins.

The Jag is indeed pulled forward to put carts in to play - the cables are coiled behind the unit and have plenty of slack for such movement, they are held in place by some cable ties - all rather neat really...

To be honest I tend to play CD's more (Battlemorph and Iron Soldier II right now) right now. And I can open any of the systems an put a CD in easily.

I've had "big shelves" before - and find this compact setup a bit more manageable...

sTeVE

The Jag is indeed pulled forward to put carts in to play - the cables are coiled behind the unit and have plenty of slack for such movement, they are held in place by some cable ties - all rather neat really...

Ditto -- I slide the systems forward. There are too many systems to leave enough space for carts between the shelves.

I do leave enough space for a few select systems: the 7800 and Dreamcast. Xbox and PS2 front load so they're not an issue.

Eric