IGNORED

Troubles with Read / Data

RedBeard

Hey, yous.

As I have stated before, I'm trying to do some of the book exercises from atariarchives_dot_org. Well, for some reason I cannot even get two of the first/easiest ones to work. The first one was from Creating Adventure Games On Your PC. (Didn't work...I figured the ERROR was me...) The other is this one:

100 FOR I=1536 TO 1561:READ A:POKE I,A:NEXT I
110 PRINT "A=USR(1536) TO ACTIVATE "
120 DATA 165,88,133,0,165,89,133,1,169
130 DATA 33,162,4,160,0,145,0,200,208,251,230
140 DATA 1,202,208,244,104,96

from Machine Language For Beginners.

Basically, it refuses to read in the data. I keep getting errors at "READ A", even if I split that code into several lines. I think 'Error- 8' is what it says. Now I haven't done any programming in *years*, but READ/DATA statments shouldn't be a problem, eh? Easy peasy. Or so I thought.

><>RedBeard

/* Maybe an emulator thing? Maybe I mistyped the code? I don't know, but it's bed time! G'night, all! */

Worked fine here.

The most common such errors you'll get with situations like that are 6 (out of data) or 3 (value out of range).

Is that just part of a bigger program? If it is, then chances are there's either DATA missing somewhere else, or some other part of the program is reading too much data from elsewhere.

Worked fine here.

The most common such errors you'll get with situations like that are 6 (out of data) or 3 (value out of range).

Is that just part of a bigger program? If it is, then chances are there's either DATA missing somewhere else, or some other part of the program is reading too much data from elsewhere.

If it is part of a bigger program, then if

99 RESTORE 120

solves your problem, then there is/are other READ(s) that "overread(s)" data

I don't know if it is part of a bigger program, but I don't think so. It comes directly from Machine Language For Beginners. I thought the book said it would fill the screen with characters just to show off the amazing speed of assembly over BASIC. Like a Chapter 1 demonstration before we get into the meat of the book.

Did it do anything like that? For me it either crashed the emu or errored out. Thats it.

><>RedBeard

/* Maybe I mistyped it. Is there a way to get something copied and pasted from the web into Atari800 WinPlus? */

It fills the screen with letters.

Copy the text into Notepad. Make sure there's a blank line after the last line of text. Save it to a file.

Connect the H: device in the emulator to the file's directory. Then you can just ENTER "H6:file.txt" to load it.

H6: tells the emulator to use drive H1: but to do conversion to ATASCII.

Why not save the listing to a file, then load it as a disk drive unit? That used to work with the old XFormer emulator, it would show the file as a disk with just that file if you did it that way, then you could copy it to another (blank) disk image. Or set the H: drive to the folder where you're saving the listing, it would work similarly.

It may be just a case of 0s and Os... IIRC, ERROR- 8 means "bad input data" or "data type mismatch"

Thanks. Apparently I am an moron, however. I cannot get the "file.txt" into the emulator. I keep getting ERROR- 130, which means it can't find the drive, I guess.

I've tried file.txt and FILE.TXT and FILE2.BAS etc. but still can't make it work. I have H1 set as C:\Atari\HDISK. The setting under that says H1:>DOS;>DOS. (I don't know what that means.) I think I tried with and without DOS in drive 1. If I may be so bold as to ask that you guide me throught the proper steps to make this work. I would sure love to save myself all that typing. (And all those typos!)

><>RedBeard

/* Thanks for your patience. Hopefully others will benefit from this, too. */

As to the "bad data" error, it was probably O ("oh") instead of 0 (zero). I did catch myself doing that on one of the lines. The chances are, I did it on another line, I suppose. I have since erased it, so I cannot say. I am looking forward to trying more of the exercises. But I'd sure rather copy/paste them next time!

><>RedBeard

/* It's too bad I must go to a real job during the daytime. I'd rather figure all this out; much more fun! */