IGNORED

Microsoft's Solution To DRM Problem Released

moycon

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/884/884992p1.html

June 27, 2008 - Yesterday, Microsoft released its supposed solution to the DRM problem that has plagued everyone who downloaded something on one console, was bitten by the three red lights of death, and tried to port their purchased downloadable content onto their repaired system only to find out that it was impossible to do so. The solution is extremely easy but can only be done once every 12 months so it's important not to screw it up. Thankfully it's virtually idiot-proof.

The first step is to sign-in to this website with the e-mail and password that are linked to your gamertag. Once you click "Start the license transfer now" link, you'll be taken to a screen that lists the consoles that have downloaded content using your gamertag. My gamertag has six consoles under its download history, with 184 game licenses on one and 45 on another with smaller amounts on the remaining four. With such a large number of game licenses I assumed the process would take me at least an hour to complete. Luckily, I was wrong.

While you will have to make sure the computer you're using is connected to the same network as your Xbox 360, the rest is a painless three-minute ordeal. Clicking next on the Xbox.com signs out your gamertag on the 360, then you sign it back in, click next on the website again and you're done. Then it's up to you to go to Account Management on the Marketplace blade, select Download History, and select the items that you want to re-download. It is a bit of a bummer that you can't download the movie files again, even those that were still watchable rentals. In other words, be sure to watch your movies prior to making the transfer.

So is the DRM problem solver a true solution? Well, it is in a sense. It's too bad that Microsoft feels it has to limit users to one license transfer per year, but at least the operation is short and painless. Those who were hoping to be able to recover their gamertag on other hard drives and download content will just have to get used to carrying their drive around with them. Now if Microsoft could find a way to speed up the gamertag recovery process, then I'd be truly happy.

This wasn't what I was thinking, but it will definately work in my case. I own 2 Xbox 360's so I assume once I do this, the games will be tied to one of them, and I'll be able to access the content on the other when I'm signed in with my gamertag. This will allow my girlfriend to play the full games on the system I'll have the games tied to. Doesn't seem like this is an ideal solution for someone with more than 2 system though. Unless I'm reading it worng. You will only be able to tie all the games to one of the systems? Anyways, I'm going to try it out and see how it goes. As it stands, there are certain games my girlfriend cannot play at all (Just shows up as the trial version) unless she logs my gamertag in first because the game was bought with my gamertag on a system long long gone.

What happens if you get 2 RROD in one year?

Going forward if you send in you unit to MS and get it repaired if they send you a new console back, all games and non-rental video will already be tied to the new unit. Actually they have been doing that for awhile. If you didn't send the unit back to them and instead just chucked the bad unit away and went out and bought another, you'd be screwed though because you can only switched liceneces to a new unit once every 12 months.

Hmm now I just have to decide which 360 I wanna assign the stuff too..

I chose the one my GF usually plays on. That way she can access everything without my gamertag.

Ideally you should be able to register two consoles with MS and have the licenses tied to both. I have both consoles tied to MS on their site especially since they both have extended warranties. I can pull them up and check status via serial numbers, Seems to me they should be able to include both. I understand they don’t want you bringing a friends 360 over and loading it up, but come on. In my case its obvious I own both. Like I said, the solution works, I've done it and tested out the game. They are accessable now but it still needs some fine tuning if you ask me.

A thought just popped into my head. I see a hole in this. When a game gets delisted you will be screwed.

How so? Keeping in mind delisted games will still be available via your download history and/or as a referal from a friend.

A thought just popped into my head. I see a hole in this. When a game gets delisted you will be screwed.

How so? Keeping in mind delisted games will still be available via your download history and/or as a referal from a friend.

Then there is no issue. I did not realize that delisted games would still be available. Seems kind of pointless to delist them in that case. They could just make a new section or something.

In that case it's good enough for you until Microsoft decides they don't want to support it anymore or they decide to change entirely over to a new system and start fresh - like what they've done with their music store recently. :) If it's DRMed, don't fool yourself into thinking you bought anything. You've only rented it at best.

If it's DRMed, don't fool yourself into thinking you bought anything. You've only rented it at best.

Perhaps you're right. And I'm not fooled into thinking anything. The situation where I would completely lose the ability to access the games I "rented" would be many many years down the road. I've bought the same movies several times over in my life. Movies like Star Wars, Silence of the Lambs, Short Circuit. (Honestly I could probably list 100's) I've bought them on VHS, I've bought them on DVD, in some cases I've bought them on HD DVD and Blu-Ray in the case of a movie like King Kong or Squirm I've bought them on 16mm and not cheap either. Same thing with songs. I've bought the same Iron Maiden albums on vinyl, on cassette, on CD. I guess my point is, I'm not all that worried about keeping any one thing including DLC until I die as long as I feel I got my money's worth for the now. You can bet 10 years from now I'll buy Doom or Star Wars or Squirm again when it become available on whatever is the new standard. That's how I roll. :cool:

Perhaps you're right. And I'm not fooled into thinking anything. The situation where I would completely lose the ability to access the games I "rented" would be many many years down the road. I've bought the same movies several times over in my life. Movies like Star Wars, Silence of the Lambs, Short Circuit. (Honestly I could probably list 100's) I've bought them on VHS, I've bought them on DVD, in some cases I've bought them on HD DVD and Blu-Ray in the case of a movie like King Kong or Squirm I've bought them on 16mm and not cheap either. Same thing with songs. I've bought the same Iron Maiden albums on vinyl, on cassette, on CD. I guess my point is, I'm not all that worried about keeping any one thing including DLC until I die as long as I feel I got my money's worth for the now. You can bet 10 years from now I'll buy Doom or Star Wars or Squirm again when it become available on whatever is the new standard. That's how I roll. :cool:

Egads, do you realize how many times I've bought the "White Album" since its release????

Mendon