IGNORED

BREAKING NEWS!!!

RCorcoran

tg_logo.gif

ATARI 2600 ASTEROIDS RECORD SMASHED

Reported by Ron Corcoran - Worldwide Atari and Intellivision Editor

Saturday, August 17th, 2002

As most of us were sleeping this past Saturday when the clock struck midnight and Sunday began, Mike Morrow was quite awake... albeit extremely tired... After all, he had just finished playing Atari 2600 "Asteroids" for 33 hours 7 minutes straight on game 1B!! In the process, he achieved a final score of over 10 million points, more than 6 times the previous world record of 1.6 million.

Each million points took approximately 3 hours to achieve, and Mike estimates that he pressed the fire button roughly 300,000 times during this marathon stretch, a calculation that comes down to about 2.5 presses per second, enough to induce a hand cramp at the very least !! Oh yes, for the mathemeticians out there...this averages approx 84.175 points per second.

Mike used an original 2600 "Woody", and a commercial Asteroids cartridge for this achievement. The entire event is captured on four 8-hour videotapes at SLP speed, plus a little over an hour on a 5th tape. All materials will be sent for final validation prior to his record being posted on the Twin Galaxies online scoreboard and in the Book of Records.

This marks Mike's first completed venture into the "marathon realm" of gameplay, and in doing so he has joined a small but intrepid and dedicated group of gamers who have burned the midnight oil and then some while on the same gaming credit. Mike told us that "ships were sacrificed in order to rest my hands for a few seconds, eat, drink, and to visit the restroom. This is risky as you can never have more than 9 ships, so breaks may only be as long as 30 seconds or you can lose your game."

Mike also explains..."I'd like to dedicate this record to the memory of Scott Safran", who we know to be the recognized arcade Asteroids world record holder who had passed away a few years back while attempting to save his cat.

Mike is also the officially recognized and verified world record holder on quite a few important gaming records, including the world's only sub-60 minute completion of "Resident Evil" from the more modern PS2 system, and is hard at work at Atari 2600 "Xenophobe", already achieving a score of 1,084,285 and trying for more.

Congratulations Mike, on an awesome and inspiring achievement in the world of vintage video gaming !!

Hello Mike:

Hope you're recouperated by now...playing an Atari 2600 game for that long must have been extremely tiring, and you chose a venerable and respected title to boot.

Your dedication of the effort to the memory of the late arcade Asteroids champion was very poignant and respectful...I'm sure gamers everywhere feel the same.

Speaking on behalf of Twin Galaxies, that was an "Over the Top" performance !!

Robert T Mruczek

Twin Galaxies - Editor and Chief referee

Star Wars classic arcade champion

rmruczek@doremus.com (work E-MAIL)

That's amazing how he played for so long.. But on game 1B?! Man that's:

1) an extra man every 5000 pts and;

2) "Slow" Asteroids... which as I'm sure we all know, is that 2600 variation where the asteroids simply go up and down. :roll:

Yeah the marathon aspect is extremely amazing (I could never do it :P) but it would have been that much more impressive if he could do it at at least a life every 10k, and with the 'fast' asteroid variation.. which as we all know at least gives a little more varied angled movement to the rocks. :)

If you really want a challenge on VCS Asteroids...

Game 32, Diff A :)

This is the variation I play most often as it offers the greatest challenge. Two years ago at CGE I ran a tournament for 32A with a 15 minute time limit. Here are the results:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/cgi-perl/searc...latformSelect=5

Nobody has been able to do a 30+ hour marathon on fast angled asteroids, so I don't fault Mike for that.

Agreed. In fact, most people couldn't last the entire 15 minutes in the live challenge we (TG) ran at CGE. :)

Besides, feel free to beat the score if you like. :-)

No way, no how... :D