IGNORED

more auctions rooked

Zwackery

I'm always scared Bomb carts won't work.

These auctions all but guarenteed they wouldn't.

Still sucks they 'ended early' though.

Here's what I asked the seller: "Hi, I noticed 2 Atari auctions you had were cancelled. Will you be relisting the items? I hope so. I hope you didn't cancel them to take a side deal because usually the person making the offer is trying to lowball the seller and get something cheaper than it would cost in the bidding market of the auction."

Seller's response: "4 days without a bid they are not worth relisting"

Here's what I asked the seller: "Hi, I noticed 2 Atari auctions you had were cancelled. Will you be relisting the items? I hope so. I hope you didn't cancel them to take a side deal because usually the person making the offer is trying to lowball the seller and get something cheaper than it would cost in the bidding market of the auction."

Here is one instance where going the sniping route does not pay off.

In other words, a seller is less willing to end an auction that has already received bids. My advice, piss on as many interesting auction you can. Mark your territory. Don't simply hope that it will run its course in hopes of a late snipe to get it.

I know most collectors simply put auctions on their "watch list," but a better thing to do is to place a bid on it right away.

Edited by the 5th ghost

In other words, a seller is less willing to end an auction that has already received bids. My advice, piss on as many interesting auction you can. Mark your territory. Don't simply hope that it will run its course in hopes of a late snipe to get it.

I know most collectors simply put auctions on their "watch list," but a better thing to do is to place a bid on it right away.

I bid on auctions just for that reason many times, figuring a Bid will allow them to run their course. Sometimes I do it just to see whats somethings worth and dont bid again.

But that still doesn't stop the seller from ending it early.

Maybe someone should write the sellers and tell them what they are worth?

The side deals are probably for less than half the values

and UPS has package intercept! :evil:

Edited by Phantom

Strange... he couldn't get them to work, yet it has a sticker with an 'n' on it.

Wonder what's up with that

bool CheckBOMBCart(unsigned char *BOMB)
{
if(strcmp(BOMB, "doesn't work"))
{
	 printf("You're SOL, buddy, it's dead.\n");
	 return false;
}

printf("Happy camper!\n");
return true;
}

For the rarer games now, I usually put a placeholder bid in right away if no bids have been made, as I did with the first link I posted, but the seller cancelled it anyhow. I guess I'll have to shill bid against myself to run up any auction for any rare to over $100 instantly to get any seller to think twice, and that's still no guarantee that the auction won't be cancelled. I know that sometimes there are indeed legitimate reasons for cancellation, but generally I feel that once you start an auction you should let it run to completion.

I sent the seller with the Bomb carts another message asking to relist them. Even though the carts are horribly prone to cease working, the box and docs are still valuable.

Zwackery.... I do what you do normally on these type of auctions. Reason why: I generally want to see where the auction ends up. I've got a lot of Vectrex listings like that, just so I can see what the end results are. I placed a real bid on that Sealed Quadrun early on, even though I knew it would get passed eventually... but still it was like a car wreck... you have to slow down to look at the results of the bidding:

As for the Bomb carts: This was one of my few time I've actually sent an email to someone to see if they would take an offer. I did it for a few reasons, but I think the biggest reason: No bids. Had there been a bid on there, normally I wouldn't even try because they will generally say no. So... I may take a bit of heat on this one, but I'm not really going to sweat it at all because it happens constantly. I'm just behind the curve. So... here's what I know: After reading the auctions, I offered the man a price, he accepted and he is happy with that price (Even after receiving MANY MANY emails from people here trying to bust up the deal). To quote his email: "I don't care, I am happy on my end, and I hope you are on your end when you get the carts".

He gave me the tracking number, and the carts are on their way here as of yesterday. So, if they do not work, that is fine. I know the boxes and manuals are worth a bit as well. I'm not sure if I will keep them, but if anyone has paid attention lately, I've been going past the "I only collect up to Rarity 6" comments I normally would make. (Why else would I place a bid on a Quadrun? Why else did I recently grab Gas Hog, Master Builder, CakeWalk, and others? I'm a small fly that is running out of the lower end games to collect. Time to move up a bit.... that's all.

I'll be sure to post more pics later, and see what is up with the carts when they get here. Hopefully they will work, but like it says in the auction, it is not likely. So please keep a few things in mind: I paid what I believe the carts and items are worth. The seller agreed to that amount, and we are both happy. If I am wrong for doing that, then quite a few others are as well. Again, I don't feel bad about it at all. The first link you posted, someone did the same (and probably got a better deal than he/she should have). I have a link for a Waterworld cart where it was about to happen as well. A lot of people tried on that one. And then you get the people that try to inform the seller "just so you know, people are going to be interested in this auction because of this cart... it is worth.... and here is a website you can go to so you can research it..." Just as lame of an act if you ask me. That is the equivalent of being a co--block. But that is my opinion.

Sorry if you missed out... but like the guy said... it was on ebay for a few days. I guess I was the only one to make an offer.

They are tested and not working according to the seller.

For bomb carts, that meanst no amount of alcohol and q-tips on the planet will help.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the boxes and manuals for PAL the same as NTSC with Bomb games?

So PAL / NTSC boxes and manuals with broken NTSC carts isn't that big of a deal for me.

Although if they are working NTSC versions, you are going to be one happy guy.

They are tested and not working according to the seller.

For bomb carts, that meanst no amount of alcohol and q-tips on the planet will help.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the boxes and manuals for PAL the same as NTSC with Bomb games?

So PAL / NTSC boxes and manuals with broken NTSC carts isn't that big of a deal for me.

Although if they are working NTSC versions, you are going to be one happy guy.

There are differences depending on where they came from.

I would say there is always a chance they could still work and the seller just couldn't get them to start up. I've personally found very few Atari carts that would not work, but have seen many carts listed as such on ebay. With Bomb I guess there is more of a gamble but I would not rule anything out until I have verified myself.

Strange... he couldn't get them to work, yet it has a sticker with an 'n' on it.

Wonder what's up with that

NTSC BOMB carts are notorious for not working. I owned just about all of them NTSC (never did get a working Z tack) I ended up selling Wall Defender and Great Escape in fear that they would die just like my Assault did :x Not worth the $250+ gamble if you ask me ;)

I'm down to about 50 or so NTSC titles that I am interested in, so it is a fairly easy matter to keep track of what they go for on eBay, so I'm curious from the point of view of what the open market sees on these titles and what I should be reasonably prepared to pay (all apologies to all those price guides out there). When deals happen on the side, that frame of reference is lost, and very few people who do side deals are willing to admit so (and even less to fess up to what they paid).

I'm not attempting to open a can of worms here, but when side deals are made, that means that eBay loses on out their cut (take that for good or bad as you will, but somewhere along the line the perception of profits being "lost" impacts the fee structure in place), and I'm not defending eBay, but as a person who both buys and sells on the site, I play by the rules of the company and furthermore pay to do so. I believe one can list stuff sale without any fees on sites like craigslist and so on, and even the new chasethechuckwagon.com provides an alternative pay schedule to eBay auctions. I do wish the seller had been more honest and instead of saying "4 days without a bid they are not worth relisting" had just told me they had been sold, particularly after I asked the seller to please relist them. Maybe the seller was worried about being pinched for doing a side deal or maybe the seller just doesn't care. Oh well.

Anyhow, I don't care about missing out on a couple potential purchases as I've got plenty of other things to do with my money, and it's nice to know that they are finding their way into a nice collection. I just wish that this particular slice of the video game market was a bit less cutthroat. That's probably why today was the first day in a month or more that I actually fired up an Atari.

Zwackery.... I do what you do normally on these type of auctions. Reason why: I generally want to see where the auction ends up. I've got a lot of Vectrex listings like that, just so I can see what the end results are. I placed a real bid on that Sealed Quadrun early on, even though I knew it would get passed eventually... but still it was like a car wreck... you have to slow down to look at the results of the bidding:

As for the Bomb carts: This was one of my few time I've actually sent an email to someone to see if they would take an offer. I did it for a few reasons, but I think the biggest reason: No bids. Had there been a bid on there, normally I wouldn't even try because they will generally say no. So... I may take a bit of heat on this one, but I'm not really going to sweat it at all because it happens constantly. I'm just behind the curve. So... here's what I know: After reading the auctions, I offered the man a price, he accepted and he is happy with that price (Even after receiving MANY MANY emails from people here trying to bust up the deal). To quote his email: "I don't care, I am happy on my end, and I hope you are on your end when you get the carts".

He gave me the tracking number, and the carts are on their way here as of yesterday. So, if they do not work, that is fine. I know the boxes and manuals are worth a bit as well. I'm not sure if I will keep them, but if anyone has paid attention lately, I've been going past the "I only collect up to Rarity 6" comments I normally would make. (Why else would I place a bid on a Quadrun? Why else did I recently grab Gas Hog, Master Builder, CakeWalk, and others? I'm a small fly that is running out of the lower end games to collect. Time to move up a bit.... that's all.

I'll be sure to post more pics later, and see what is up with the carts when they get here. Hopefully they will work, but like it says in the auction, it is not likely. So please keep a few things in mind: I paid what I believe the carts and items are worth. The seller agreed to that amount, and we are both happy. If I am wrong for doing that, then quite a few others are as well. Again, I don't feel bad about it at all. The first link you posted, someone did the same (and probably got a better deal than he/she should have). I have a link for a Waterworld cart where it was about to happen as well. A lot of people tried on that one. And then you get the people that try to inform the seller "just so you know, people are going to be interested in this auction because of this cart... it is worth.... and here is a website you can go to so you can research it..." Just as lame of an act if you ask me. That is the equivalent of being a co--block. But that is my opinion.

Sorry if you missed out... but like the guy said... it was on ebay for a few days. I guess I was the only one to make an offer.

Hey Eric

Don't get me wrong here but why didn't you ask him to ad a BIN instead of having him pull the auctions? That way you avoid people getting mad at you and saying you made a side deal. Just my 2 cents :)

Posts too long to read.

Side offers have always been part of the game. People hate that, but sometimes it just has to be done when a seller is clearly clueless. You'll know who made the side offer when you see their auctions including the items- perhaps in a few months to obfuscate their game.

Hey Eric

Don't get me wrong here but why didn't you ask him to ad a BIN instead of having him pull the auctions? That way you avoid people getting mad at you and saying you made a side deal. Just my 2 cents :)

Hey... Simple answer for that:

It was about 6AM or so, and I was on my first coffee. I decided to look at ebay prior to going to work, and all of a sudden noticed these two thanks to searching worldwide... which I normally do not do. .

Shot the guy an email, and in less than two minutes, the guy emailed me back. Deal was set, paid for within 5 minutes. It was a side deal, and even if I scheduled a BIN, it is still considered a side deal.

I don't care about ebay getting their fees or whatnot. I think that is all hogwash. I think when the number of people that do not play by the rules out number the ones that do, you have to do something otherwise you will have a stale collection. I just decided to try a side deal and it worked. It worked for a Gas Hog cart recently as well. So, I'm not really sure what to say. I made an offer to the guy for carts that I think are dead carts. But... I mainly what the other stuff. If I sell... it is to fund other parts of my collection. That's how I have ALWAYS done my collection. I guess I was the only one to send the guy an email requesting an offer. If it is wrong, well... sorry. That seems to be the way this game is played nowadays. Nopt all of that is directed at you CC. I just don't feel like I should get griped at by others... when all I did was join the field that quite a few here are doing already and have been doing for a while. That's okay though. I figured it would happen.

Just watch for the items again if I decide to part them out to fill holes in my collection. :)

Hey Eric

Hey... Simple answer for that:

It was about 6AM or so, and I was on my first coffee. I decided to look at ebay prior to going to work, and all of a sudden noticed these two thanks to searching worldwide... which I normally do not do. .

Shot the guy an email, and in less than two minutes, the guy emailed me back. Deal was set, paid for within 5 minutes. It was a side deal, and even if I scheduled a BIN, it is still considered a side deal.

I don't care about ebay getting their fees or whatnot. I think that is all hogwash. I think when the number of people that do not play by the rules out number the ones that do, you have to do something otherwise you will have a stale collection. I just decided to try a side deal and it worked. It worked for a Gas Hog cart recently as well. So, I'm not really sure what to say. I made an offer to the guy for carts that I think are dead carts. But... I mainly what the other stuff. If I sell... it is to fund other parts of my collection. That's how I have ALWAYS done my collection. I guess I was the only one to send the guy an email requesting an offer. If it is wrong, well... sorry. That seems to be the way this game is played nowadays. Nopt all of that is directed at you CC. I just don't feel like I should get griped at by others... when all I did was join the field that quite a few here are doing already and have been doing for a while. That's okay though. I figured it would happen.

Just watch for the items again if I decide to part them out to fill holes in my collection. :)

post-5874-1215234147.gif

I think when the number of people that do not play by the rules out number the ones that do, you have to do something otherwise you will have a stale collection.

I highly disagree, and statements like the above sadden me (though in real life they are generally not atari-related). If it isn't part of your morals, that's fine. If it is, don't toss it over because other people aren't following the rules.

Just to be clear, if you are one of those people who was always for side deals then what you did is fine. If, however, you used to be against it but decided to do it now anyway because "everybody's doing it" then that's just weak.

*edit* Sorry about the misquote. I'd blame it on the computer, but it was probably user error.

Edited by gospeedde