IGNORED

Change in competition time frame opinions wanted

Atari5200

Would anybody be opposed to increasing the competition rounds from 2 weeks to 3 weeks? Yes, no? Why, why not? I'm thinking the increase might give other people more a chance to get into the competition and the participation might be a little higher. But also, it may not make any difference at all. Let me know what you guys think, if you don't think it's a good idea or will make a difference, we will just leave it the way it is.

Would anybody be opposed to increasing the competition rounds from 2 weeks to 3 weeks? Yes, no? Why, why not? I'm thinking the increase might give other people more a chance to get into the competition and the participation might be a little higher. But also, it may not make any difference at all. Let me know what you guys think, if you don't think it's a good idea or will make a difference, we will just leave it the way it is.

I've found either two weeks or every month is a good depending on how active the users are, how much activity you get, ect.

The 2600 can handle a every week.

The 5200 can handle probably every two weeks I believe. Just might be a summer slump.

The 8bits are about the same, every two weeks.

The 7800 can handle a game a month if people would submit.

The Lynx should be able to handle every two weeks manily because the moderator has a lot of energy. :D

The Jaguar can handle about once a month. Small library, not many have Jags, etc.

So this hopefully gives you idea of how I view the various systems and communities.

Personally, I think a Month long game in the summer months (July & Aug with possibly Half of June and Half of Sept but definitely July and Aug) would be best and then sept - may or june should go back to every 2 weeks. I cant tell you how many times I play and dont post because my scores are dwarfed by people with more time but I think this Fall I will try to find more time to compete. Summers games should be a Month long IMO and be some of the better games for a few reasons.

A: It should hold more interest if its a good game, super breakout would suck in the summer for example. Miner would rock. Mr Cool would rock.

B: more time to play the game in the summer with all everyone has going on, a month to get a good score leaves no excuses.

C: It makes Knowing when the New Game starts and when the other one ends EASY!

Also... Instead of every 2 weeks, I would think it may be best if the 15th and the 30/31st of each month was the end of each one of the non summer months. End dates are simpler that way, no wondering when the game this period ends and when one begins.

You asked for input so I gave you what Ive been thinking about all of the HSC's for quite sometime. Simplfied works better All-Around IMHO. Cheers :)

Edited by Phantom

I'm fine either way. I wouldn't go less than every 2 weeks, and I wouldn't go over a month. Anything between there is fine. People seem to be busier during the summer, so maybe lengthening the time frame to 3-4 weeks over the next couple of months is a good idea.

When I don't post a score, it's almost always for a game I don't own. I don't tend to make time for games I have to fire up the emulator for - it's just not as fun to me. If it's a cart, it doesn't matter how busy I am, I'll make time to pop it in and at least play a couple games. Lengthening the time frame for each game probably won't change my participation rate, but it certainly won't hurt.