IGNORED

A little help with music

Allas

Actually this song uses 16bit bass, so it isn't 3-channel music anymore...

Nice tune, though! :)

Oops... you are so right. Channel #1 in CMC is a combined channel indeed. It is hard to make a song worth listening without the 16bit channel.

I guess he needs one channel for the effects sound?

Hummm...

Marius

Perhaps Allas could use my song as a nice intro / highscorescreen song? I guess it is ok 2 8bit + 1 16bit channel music in that...

At least I hope.

Marius

I hope very much that your song will be used in Allas' game. Very good song! And I hope Allas game will be as good as his fantastic game mule wars. Good luck for all in ABBUC Software Contest 2008! ;)

Thanks bunsen!! Nice to hear!!

@ Allas

If it is not usable because it uses the 4 pokey channels... consider using it for your title screen (or highscores screen or whatever). I would be very pleased if you could use it :D

Bye for now folks.

Marius

p.s. if there are other games that need original music, let me know. I might have some more inspiration... i only use CMC, so if you don't like CMC i can't help you :D

@Marius

That's excellent work :cool: I see you've written out the notation on paper. How do you prefer to work composing? Do you work like many composing on a regular keyboard and then recreate your song in cmc?

You should definately compose more game music for future work

* EDIT. I watched your other youtube vids so that kinda answers my question :D

Edited by Tezz

@Marius

That's excellent work :cool: I see you've written out the notation on paper. How do you prefer to work composing? Do you work like many composing on a regular keyboard and then recreate your song in cmc?

You should definately compose more game music for future work

* EDIT. I watched your other youtube vids so that kinda answers my question :D

Well indeed. When I compose atari music, i always make sure I have a (hand) written score. I find it very hard to keep track of all the patterns and rhythms in those music programs on the atari. When I have my score I only have to reproduce all the music in the atari. When I have to create a melody from scratch and I have to arrange it from scratch... and I have to work in a not-so-user-friendly environment (like atari music programs simply are, because of the limitations of the computer)... it is too much trouble for me.

And yes ... I composed in on my piano. In fact... it was meant to be played in swing. But that sounded not so nice on the atari, so I did input straigh-eight's in the Chaos Music Composer. I still like it more in swing, but not on atari. So that is how it is now.

I did a few original computer-game compositions in the past. Some of my songs are somewhere in the www. And I did a few arrangements.

I should learn to get more out of the pokey. I know it is possible to do nicer things with CMC. I have heard songs from Samuraj. They are SO good in CMC.

Thanks for your kind words.

I'll keep doing my best on this :D

Marius

I think both pieces of music are great. An I impressive how fast you can do a work that take to me a couple of months.

Well, don't expect so much from my game, it's a simple arcade game. I tried to do the best I can do with the limited resources. On these days the main problem is the time, I need to program more fast... so what I need to eat? :lol:

I only hope I can finish at the right time.

I think both pieces of music are great. An I impressive how fast you can do a work that take to me a couple of months.

Well, don't expect so much from my game, it's a simple arcade game. I tried to do the best I can do with the limited resources. On these days the main problem is the time, I need to program more fast... so what I need to eat? :lol:

Hi Allas,

But did you read mikers comment? He mentioned that my song is not using 3, but 4 channels. He is right. You actually hear 3 channels pokey, but two pokey channels are combined as one 16 bit channel. So it IS 4 channel music.

That means you don't have any channels left for sound effects like a jumping sound of whatever. That might not be a problem. There are many games in which you can choose wether you want to hear effects OR music.

I know you can do some tricky sound thing with the GTIA. But I think that is TOOOO simple.

As far as i remember keyclicks and other system sounds are produced by the GTIA :D

Greetz

M.

Hi Allas,

But did you read mikers comment? He mentioned that my song is not using 3, but 4 channels. He is right. You actually hear 3 channels pokey, but two pokey channels are combined as one 16 bit channel. So it IS 4 channel music.

That means you don't have any channels left for sound effects like a jumping sound of whatever. That might not be a problem. There are many games in which you can choose wether you want to hear effects OR music.

I know you can do some tricky sound thing with the GTIA. But I think that is TOOOO simple.

As far as i remember keyclicks and other system sounds are produced by the GTIA :D

Greetz

M.

Yes, that's a problem. Can CMC work bass with 8bit table?

Yes, that's a problem. Can CMC work bass with 8bit table?

The only thing I could do is rewrite the song so I leave one channel unused. But i think that makes the song less interesting. Could try that if you like.

I think that is also important for the other CMC you have.

Greetz.

M.

Hi!

I found on my disks CMC version with modified 8bit-bass-table (done and used some 15 years ago by Stanley/USG),

It looks like normal CMC. The difference is in "C3" type bass.

There are also some songs form games, that demonstrate this "new" bass.

In zip there are both ATR and loose files.

Enjoy!

P.S. this "new" or "changed" table was inserted later into "CMC RZoG" (which has a little different player).

cmc2stan.zip

• 3 weeks later...

This post have given me the inspiration to try to add music to my games.

As Marius said, it is possible to insert Chaos Music Composer music in Basic (and also in TBXL).

You have only to insert this code found in the CMC disk:

6000 BGET=ADR("hÿÿ Á—©R¥ÔiT¥Õi U©X© Y¢ Vä0) ±ÔTHȱÔU…Õh…Ô© X©àY¢ VäÀˆð	˜© …Ô…Õ`Ì")
6010 DIM F$(20)
6020 F$="D:FOREST.CMC":GOSUB 6130
6030 CMC=A:IF CMC=0 THEN STOP 
6040 F$="D:MUSIC.REP":GOSUB 6130
6050 REP=A:IF REP=0 THEN STOP 
6060 A=USR(REP,1,CMC)
6080 IF PEEK(764)=255 THEN 6080
6090 POKE 764,255
6100 A=USR(REP)
6110 END 
6130 POKE 764,32:OPEN #1,4,128,F$
6140 A=USR(BGET)
6150 POKE 764,255:CLOSE #1
6160 RETURN

Here are my questions:

- what is the code in line 6000 and is it possible to replace it with a TBXL command (perhaps BLOAD or BGET)?

- how do I stop/pause/restart music?

- "forest.cmc" is the music, what is "music.rep"?

- what's the purpose of lines 6030,6050,6080?

Edited by Philsan

Here are my questions:

- what is the code in line 6000 and is it possible to replace it with a TBXL command (perhaps BLOAD or BGET)?

At this moment I do not know exactly what that code does. I will take a closer look at it later, but I think that code is creating a VBI. The 'garbage' looking string is probably a short piece of ML code. This program can be a routine that repeats all the time 'in background' ... this code is needed to play the cmc. You can't replace that. In turbo basic you could have BLOAD this code from a separate file, but I think this is faster.

- how do I stop/pause/restart music?

I have to check that too. There are a few initialization things that are easy in ML, so I think it is easy in basic too.

- "forest.cmc" is the music, what is "music.rep"?

the music.rep is the player-routine. The music is not played by the basic program, but by a piece of Machine Language. That is stored somewhere in memory. It could be possible to play the CMC (you hear the music) and you are back into your BASIC prompt. The music can play into background.

- what's the purpose of lines 6030,6050,6080?

I have to take a closer look. The line in 6080 is a loop, waiting for a key.

I think I'll find some time tonight to give you more detailed information.

(But.... my wife and I are expecting a baby (our first!) and it COULD be tonight...... it is baby-deliver-time (40 weeks + 2 days now) so don't be mad when I wrote nothing here tonight!)

Marius

Edited by Marius1976

(But.... my wife and I are expecting a baby (our first!) and it COULD be tonight...... it is baby-deliver-time (40 weeks + 2 days now) so don't be mad when I wrote nothing here tonight!)

Marius

Congratulations!!! Don't wory I'm sure folks will let you off for not posting if your baby is born tonight ;)

Paul

The song is not perfect yet... but it is finished for 99%...

Take a look, and listen here :D

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=-J50i039xWY

Comments are welcome!

Thanks

Marius

Man thats a kewl song, Marius... That sounds at least worthy of NES/SMS soundtrack quality.... Better than alot of COIN-OP ARCADE music..

Also, thats a REAL MAN'S 800XL setup. Are both the hardisk enclosures (to the right in the video) connected to the Black Box?

Man thats a kewl song, Marius... That sounds at least worthy of NES/SMS soundtrack quality.... Better than alot of COIN-OP ARCADE music..

Also, thats a REAL MAN'S 800XL setup. Are both the hardisk enclosures (to the right in the video) connected to the Black Box?

Thanks!!! It is so great to hear all those nice comments about the song. I'm sure going to compose more songs now, and record that on video!

The harddisk on the desk is connected to the blackbox. The harddisk standing above that one is connected to my server (which is located under that desk).

Interesting to know: the harddisk connected to the blackbox is a brandnew IDE harddisk. I bought an IDE -> SCSI adapter on ebay, and guess what? It works! So now I have a brandnew harddisk. No more bad sectors (YEAH!!!) And it is real fast. Super. And the best part: it is SCSI 1 so no parity pal is needed too, so my unmodified blackbox works perfectly with that.

About the 800XL setup... it is cool indeed. It is so much more fun to work on the real equipment. That 800XL is loaded with an extra 512KB StaticRam, which results in a very stable 576KB 800XL. I love this machine. Still I have to install that backup battery, so the ramdisk will stay active when atari is switched off.

Greetz

M.

To everyone who wrote a comment about the baby-to-come:

Thank you so much!

It is a very exciting moment, and I really hope it will be born tonight.

In the beginning i thought: oh oh ... a baby in the house... means probably the end of the atari hobby. But now I know better: some of you do also have kids!

And Allas is right: again a new member of the scene :D

Keep you all informed. Now I'm going to study on that CMC -> (Turbo) Basic issue!

Greetz

M.

p.s. do you know the game BLIP? It is really a fancy game ... little pong like but then without a 'thing' in the center (don't know the word). My wife hates the game, because she can't win from me hehe. But tonight she told me: there will be a time that our kid will play atari games with you.... and will win from you with that stupid BLIP game wehehehe

Edited by Marius1976

OK

I know a little more now.

The BGET=ADR(binary signs)

and the A=USR(BGET) thing is a binary load routine for atari BASIC.

In turbo basic you can change this with BLOAD your CMC and REP file. Only problem is that the A=USR(BGET) thing in basic gives the memory location of your just loaded CMC and REP file. So you have to add a DPEEK.

I'm not sure but I think this will work:

BLOAD "D:CMC.CMC"

CMC=DPEEK(852)

BLOAD "D:MUSIC.REP"

REP=DPEEK(852)

Do you get me so far?

A=USR(REP,1,CMC) plays the song.

Where REP = start memory location of the music.rep file

Where CMC = start memory location of the cmc.cmc file.

I'm still studying for you how to control your song.

Did you see your music plays in the background?

thanks

Marius

p.s. That DPEEK thing is a wild guess. I did not check it yet. I think the MEMORY location of the just loaded binary file is stored in IOCB1+4 and IOCB1+5...

I am going to check this now. in Turbo Basic

UPDATE: that works indeed. Now I have to check the other things... how to get the init things that usually work in assembler, operational in Turbo Basic. Stay Tuned for that.

Edited by Marius1976

Ok here we go.

Start the music from the beginning

A=USR(REP,1,CMC)

Pause the music

A=USR(REP)

When you want to continue the music, you have to 'modify' the player routine. This is the way:

Make sure you do this only when music is in pause!

POKE $9795,$60

POKE $979A,$60

A=USR(REP,1,CMC)

IMPORTANT TO KNOW!

When you want that the music starts again from the beginning, you have to change back the player routine by this:

POKE $9795,$70

POKE $979A,$00

Always make these changes when the music is off.

A=USR(REP) always stops the music.

A=USR(REP,1,CMC) starts the music. By default from the beginning, and after the changes it simply continues where you stopped.

Good luck

Marius

p.s. the $ signs are NOT a mistake

p.s.2: do not try this with another music.rep file. The changes are on absolute adresses. I also could find out for you what a relative change would be, but before I do that, I wait till I hear a response about this :D

With your changes the routine works very well in TBXL!

The routine works also with the PMG ML routine I use and with GR.15 screen mode.

I also have found that it works with my SOUND 0 sound effects; I don't have to stop music when I want to make a sound effect. Strange but perfect. Do you know why?

And now... the second big question.

Perhaps you know that I have made Cookie Monster, a simple educational game for my daughter:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123634

Can you write a background music for it?

I think this one, or something that children could appreciate, would be perfect:

P.S. I hope you will not play Blip! with your kid too soon, it's hypnotic!

Edited by Philsan

With your changes the routine works very well in TBXL!

The routine works also with the PMG ML routine I use and with GR.15 screen mode.

I also have found that it works with my SOUND 0 sound effects; I don't have to stop music when I want to make a sound effect. Strange but perfect. Do you know why?

I have no idea. Perhaps it depends on the song you are using for testing. Perhaps it does not use all the channels. There is a big chance this will not work with the song I'm going to create for you (yes I want to do that, but give me some time).

That game you talked about. Does it also work with a regular joystick? And would it be possible for me to translate that game into dutch?

Thanks

Marius

p.s. I'll think about a nice song.