IGNORED

Unreal Tournament III

moycon

Anyone else pick this one up? I snagged a pre-order to get the swell faceplate. I'd had seen it got decent reviews on the PS3 and looked great so I figured "why not? Was it worth it? Tough to say right now. I played though every mode there is. In "Instant Action" mode, which is basically you against a bunch of AI bots, or you and bots on your team against a team of all bots. I won each mode easily on the Average setting, so I guess I'm at least average. The graphics truly are kick ass. This game looks great, I'd put it on par with Halo 3 maybe a tad better.

The 360 version also includes a campaign. Near as I can tell (and I only played the first couple levels) it’s basically just you playing the different modes vs. bots with some wrap around scenes trying to tie it all together. Nothing you would write home about. Kind of a tacked on feature.

I've heard this game excels online. So I'm looking forward to that. There is a mode called War that seems pretty interesting, you basically have to occupy (you do this by bringing your colored orb inside a node) various linear nodes till you link up to the enemy Core. Once all the nodes are secured and linked you can start bombarding the enemy Core until it's destroyed. If the link is broken (the enemy takes over and occupies a node in the chain) you have to go clear them out and link it again before you can chip away at their Core. It's very involving, and takes awhile to play a game. Interesting, for sure. I suspect I’ll be playing DM the most though. There are some kick ass vehicles to me sure, but so far, it feels awful familiar. Anyone else tried it?

post-544-1215691055_thumb.jpg

Anyone else pick this one up? I snagged a pre-order to get the swell faceplate. I'd had seen it got decent reviews on the PS3 and looked great so I figured "why not? Was it worth it? Tough to say right now. I played though every mode there is. In "Instant Action" mode, which is basically you against a bunch of AI bots, or you and bots on your team against a team of all bots. I won each mode easily on the Average setting, so I guess I'm at least average. The graphics truly are kick ass. This game looks great, I'd put it on par with Halo 3 maybe a tad better.

The 360 version also includes a campaign. Near as I can tell (and I only played the first couple levels) it’s basically just you playing the different modes vs. bots with some wrap around scenes trying to tie it all together. Nothing you would write home about. Kind of a tacked on feature.

I've heard this game excels online. So I'm looking forward to that. There is a mode called War that seems pretty interesting, you basically have to occupy (you do this by bringing your colored orb inside a node) various linear nodes till you link up to the enemy Core. Once all the nodes are secured and linked you can start bombarding the enemy Core until it's destroyed. If the link is broken (the enemy takes over and occupies a node in the chain) you have to go clear them out and link it again before you can chip away at their Core. It's very involving, and takes awhile to play a game. Interesting, for sure. I suspect I’ll be playing DM the most though. There are some kick ass vehicles to me sure, but so far, it feels awful familiar. Anyone else tried it?

What you describe is the classic UT model. The single-player is some really thin story. You pick a team and start working your way up the ladders. It's training more then anything. UT is an online game and a great one at that. For a real single-player experience you have to get Unreal. Anyone that is a fan of the previous UT games will want to get this game.

What you describe is the classic UT model. The single-player is some really thin story. You pick a team and start working your way up the ladders.

In this case it's a bit different. The story seems pretty well fleshed out with GREAT looking cut scenes, but the missions (There is no working up a ladder) are pretty much just the Instant Action modes. You basically have to get through all 10 chapters and chapters consist of multiple Instant Action games. In between you get to watch cut scenes progressing the story.

There is a GOW 2 video on the disk, that is long and shows lots of gameplay and describes the game through and through. I love the meat shield and the capture the flag....where the flag is a player on the other team!!

In this case it's a bit different. The story seems pretty well fleshed out with GREAT looking cut scenes, but the missions (There is no working up a ladder) are pretty much just the Instant Action modes.

Yup. I picked this up on release for the PS3 and enjoyed both the 'single player mode' and some online action. I'm a long time UT fan, and UT3 surpassed my expectations. It's fast, fun, beautiful and full of lots of frags and explosions. :cool:

In the picture you posted above your 360 has both a hard drive and a memory card attached.

I was just wondering why?

-rick

I have more than one Xbox 360, so I keep my Gamertag profile and recently played game saves on the card. That way I can just remove the card and place it in either 360 without worrying about recovering my Gamertag each time or worrying about which 360 has the latest gamesave.

The game just came out 4 days ago, so yes there are plenty of people playing.

The UT3 on PS3 was released a long time ago.

Its hard to say if there will be anyone playing this game on Live a year from now.