IGNORED

All Time Favorite Aracade Coin-ops

Classic Pac

This all began because of a phone and the person and I on the other end got in to a rather heated conversation over what is our all time favorite arcade game. So I ask you what is yours?

Mine believe it or not is Zoo Keeper, the laundrymat that had that machine was the only thing I played for the longest time.

Galaga.

I've owned one for 5+ years and still can't get enough.

Still have yet to see level 40.

It still kicks my ass and gives me a rush.

(Tempest is a close second I though for the same reasons.)

Easy Defender above anything else, Defender was the hardcore gamers game, A seminal piece of work !

In most video games at that time there was only one task in the game but Defender was different You had to defend and rescue as well as kill off the enemy to progress.With it's fantastic gameplay, graphics and sound effects It was a unique and visceral experience.

Edited by Bountybob

There were too many great games to have a favorite. Venue and Ambiance play a big part.

Being the only one in an empty arcade playing Star Castle after everyone seemingly left

The sounds of Galaxian in a pizza parlor

Playing Atari SUBS in the biggest arcade ever

Asteroids at Disneyland when I was 13

Lunar Lander at the science center

The intensity of Galaga in any setting

Moon Cresta at the ski resort wearing ski boots

Star wars vector sitdown and star trek flight operations simulator in a busy arcade

Hard Drivin at the mini golf that is a water treatment facility now :ponder:

Defender and Polaris in the Grocery store every summer day

Tron at the movie theatre

The eighties rocked.

Edited by Zonie

Nothing can top the simplicity of Berzerk for me.

It wasn't a bad arcade game but it was very hard and unforgiving I had a Berzerk arcade game local

around 82 83 Didnt play it that much though

I have to say Battlezone. Park yourself next to a tall cube and be protected from the missiles. Get enough points and get a free game. (over & over & over) I could play for 30 minutes on a quarter.

Nothing can top the simplicity of Berzerk for me.

ed

It wasn't a bad arcade game but it was very hard and unforgiving I had a Berzerk arcade game local

around 82 83 Didnt play it that much though

I have to say Battlezone. Park yourself next to a tall cube and be protected from the missiles. Get enough points and get a free game. (over & over & over) I could play for 30 minutes on a quarter.

Battlezone was cool I played it mainly on the cabaret cabinet but got a couple of chances to play it on the full upright cabinet

on holidays

I think Star Castle is probably my overall favorite coinop game. It's a simple game but it's a real test of skill in the upper levels. The sound is also awesome in this game.

I also really enjoyed Rastan although there is something a little unfulfilling about scrollers because the level data is all spooled out from ROM compared to a truly random game. Galaga was also a "scripted" game as far as the formations go.

OK I have a few more...

I left Space Invaders off. We had an arcade here called "Superfun" at the Paradise Valley Mall. Adjacent to the food court and across from the Best Hobby store of my youth. This place had two levels with Pinballs on the upper. This arcade closed ~20 years ago, but oddly enough, there is an Arcade there again after years of being a Dentist office or something like that.

I will also agree with Cougar above. Dragon's lair was one I played when in summer school one year in what used to be a circle-k convenience store and is a dry cleaner now.

Tempest. Bar none.

Nothing like playing Tempest in the dark, some 80s music blasting, getting into the zone. Nothing else like it.

Tempest 2000 and it's annoyingly distracting visuals? Crap. Only the original for me, baby!

Robotron followed by Star Wars (the stand up version, I just like the look of it over the sit down)

Robotron would be my first if I hasn't played Tempest two years prior :)

Edited by Brian D. Deuel