IGNORED

Another day, another convert - Amok!

Heaven/TQA

ok. small but last update for today.

you can move around with the joystick or use the keys U,H,J,N.

shift & fire button should be the fire but it won't work yet. you can walk around and enter doors for next rooms...

the screen refresh is not synced yet... the game draws a complete screen per game cycle (including walls)...but should be fixable...

amok1.zip

Variety is the spice of life.

True. I have read that variety is important to try to avoid Alzheimer's disease.

For example, it's a good idea to change our place in bed, sofa etc.

I don't know if changing games works too!

Edited by Philsan

just let you know that I have the title screen plus difficulty settings running but there are some bugs I need to check before I release a first build:

- shooting is not possible

- sync / vbl

the whole game is written "poorly" I have to admit, there is no sync code or anything...the whole screen is drawn every frame... first screen gots deleted, then the walls are drew then the robots then the player... oh...and not to forget the clearing of the colourram.

then the code is using self modifiy code and the whole code is squeezed into the 5k ram...so... lookup tables are included in the code section, font includes code as well same goes to other sections... :)

maybe I should go for "super amok" version (8k version)... this one might be better written... ;)

after the game engine is working I will go for reducing the screen size to 20x22 again...

just let you know that I have the title screen plus difficulty settings running but there are some bugs I need to check before I release a first build:

- shooting is not possible

- sync / vbl

the whole game is written "poorly" I have to admit, there is no sync code or anything...the whole screen is drawn every frame... first screen gots deleted, then the walls are drew then the robots then the player... oh...and not to forget the clearing of the colourram.

then the code is using self modifiy code and the whole code is squeezed into the 5k ram...so... lookup tables are included in the code section, font includes code as well same goes to other sections... :)

maybe I should go for "super amok" version (8k version)... this one might be better written... ;)

after the game engine is working I will go for reducing the screen size to 20x22 again...

:) that sounds like you'll be re-writting a lot of it then! maybe the super version is worth looking into before doing more work on it.

here are the vic-20 screens of the 8k version...

looks much better... (i have print out here of the DIS6502 file, 52 pages din a4)...

Yea, the super version does look much better. It's quite a lot of code to trawl through there! Look foward to seeing the progress on it. Good luck. Another cool port on the way.

well... played around with the Super Amok version.

it's really better programmed than the 3,5 "messy" version (the Amok! source looks like the actual Beyond the Evil build... ;))

but as I assumed... it utilises more GFX and of course the game uses full 256 chars per font...

so...some question you might help me

$9005 = $EF where is the font and the vram located? (please not the actual description as I have the OS manual etc here)

$9005 = $CD same here... font? vram?

I even have no clue if it does double buffering...as when changing in VICE the $9005 ingame to $C0 (default) it flickers and then switches back so I changed the code where the $9005 is written and it starts to flicker like hell... but wasn't aware of that VIC can do double flicker... ;)

I have uploaded the super amok! cart image (it's available on public FTPs...so I do not worry)... and in the archive there is a .raw file for DIS6502. load this into DIS6502 at $a020.

you can insert the cart in VICE as 4k cart at $a000 and then do a reset. but then you can not change the code in the monitor... (took me half an hour to figure it out why...simply because it is a ROM... ;)) so... you can do the trick... configure your VIC20 as full RAM enabled (28k and all blocks activated). then autostart the PRG file...it will be loaded fine but not started. so enter a SYS 40960+32 and the game code is starting...

to fix the title screen is easy...as the logo is 64 chars, the game point intro below is ok as well same to the scroller... all can be devided by using DLIs but ingame needs little bit more thought...

play around with the game...it's not bad... ;) all smooth gfx...and you can shoot several bullets at the same time...

post-528-1216104828_thumb.png

Super_Amok.zip

Edited by Heaven/TQA

well... it seems that the 8k version is far more clever with the sprite engine... as it looks at first glance it assigns free chars to sprites dynamicly...

check out the ATR and press START (F1) to enter the game... just have a look on the robots... you can not move around yet but in some rooms the robots kill each other and as more got killed as less "wrong chars" are on screen and even suddenly the robot shot arrives on screen and the player sprite appears correctly...

ps. ignore the flicker as the game is based on the vic-20 speed and even uses double buffering...

amok2.zip