IGNORED

SpartaDOS numeric error messages?

Urchlay

SpartaDOS experts, is there a way to turn off the English error messages in the CLI of Sparta 3.x or SDX, and have it print numeric error codes like other DOSes?

Without boring you with too much detail... I'm working on a project that involves a program that communicates with various Atari DOSes (sends them commands and parses the results), running inside a modified version of Atari800. If any errors happen, my program needs to be able to convert the Atari error number (or message) to a UNIX-style error message (e.g. -ENOSPC, aka "No space left on device", whenever it sees an error 162).

I've already got code that can handle numeric error messages for Atari DOS and MyDOS, so it'd be really nice to have SpartaDOS spit out numeric errors instead of me having to write more code to handle Engligh messages...

IIRC, SpartaDOS 1.1 uses numeric errors, but I doubt I can use it (how well does it handle large volumes, particularly ones formatted by Sparta 3.x or SDX?)

SpartaDOS experts, is there a way to turn off the English error messages in the CLI of Sparta 3.x or SDX, and have it print numeric error codes like other DOSes?

No.

IIRC, SpartaDOS 1.1 uses numeric errors, but I doubt I can use it (how well does it handle large volumes, particularly ones formatted by Sparta 3.x or SDX?)

SpartaDOS 1.1 disk format differs slightly from the later versions. As of SpartaDOS 4.0 (= SDX) ICD recommended to abandon SpartaDOS 1.1. It is not recommended to write SDX 4.4 disks under 1.1 and vice versa. Otherwise the 1.1 should work OK.

Thanks for the info.

I probably don't want to use 1.1, if it's not 100% compatible with the more modern disk formats. Parsing the human-readable error messages in 3.x or SDX will be the better solution... can 3.x read/write SDX-formatted disks (including hard disks), or will it have the same problem?

Parsing the human-readable error messages in 3.x or SDX will be the better solution...

Except that e.g. various SDX versions present different messages for the same error (e.g. "Directory not found" vs "Path not found" or "Drive not present" vs "Device does not respond") :)

can 3.x read/write SDX-formatted disks (including hard disks), or will it have the same problem?

There should be no problems in reading/writing SDX disks (except these formatted by 4.4 in DD 512 density) under 3.x

Parsing the human-readable error messages in 3.x or SDX will be the better solution...

Except that e.g. various SDX versions present different messages for the same error (e.g. "Directory not found" vs "Path not found" or "Drive not present" vs "Device does not respond") :)

Not a huge problem, I can either require a specific version, or else include all the possible errors from all the various versions (regex-based "parser", easy enough to do).

There should be no problems in reading/writing SDX disks (except these formatted by 4.4 in DD 512 density) under 3.x

512 byte sectors also aren't a problem for now, since AFAIK they're not supported in atari800 yet, and nobody's too likely to run into a 512-byte ATR image in the wild... is there a freely available emulator ROM image for SDX 4.4, or is it still being sold commercially?

512 byte sectors also aren't a problem for now, since AFAIK they're not supported in atari800 yet, and nobody's too likely to run into a 512-byte ATR image in the wild... is there a freely available emulator ROM image for SDX 4.4, or is it still being sold commercially?

4.4 is free: http://trub.atari8.info - there are images for intSDX128 (supported by Atari800 2.0.3 AFAIK).