IGNORED

Is it just me?

Unless you meant specifically for the NES, wouldn't you consider Super Mario World for the SNES as Super Mario Bros. 4? Everyone else did ;)

Pole Position II was a conversion for the original Pole Position and included 3 new tracks. Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a Pole Position III. :)

Now Mega Man.. You mean to tell me with the huge deluge of Mega Man games for all sorts of platforms that none of them of them satisfied your thirst for more Megaman after Megaman 6? :P

Ok, then smarty pants. Wouldn't you like to see:

another game in the spirit of the original Super Mario series (not this clean up the environment crap for the GC, or that gameboy crap)

Pole Position III

another game in the spirit of the original Mega Man (not some Gameboy crap)

How about that? :roll: :P :P

Ok, then smarty pants.  Wouldn't you like to see:

another game in the spirit of the original Super Mario series (not this clean up the environment crap for the GC, or that gameboy crap)

I assume that was a reply for me? :)

What are you guys talking about.. hello, Super Mario World WAS definitely in the spirit of the original series (how could you think otherwise). And it was for the SNES not GC nor Gameboy. Yeah they only recently ported it to the GBA but the point is.. it's VERY MUCH a 2D Super Mario Bros 100% in the spirit of the original! Come on! :) It's very much Super Mario Bros. 4 in every sense.

mario1.pngmario2.png

Pole Position III

yeah I'd like to see that as I stated above. :)

another game in the spirit of the original Mega Man (not some Gameboy crap)

eh? Dude there are TONS of them and I aint just talking gameboy. First of all.. there WAS a Megaman 7 for SNES. Yes, it's "in the spirit" of the original.

megaman7a.jpgmegaman7b.jpg

And holy smoke Batman.. That's not even counting the goodness that was Megaman 8 on the Saturn and PSX.

Or of course revisit your favorite Megamans on Megaman: The Wily Wars on the Genesis.

megaman_genny.gifmegaman_genny2.gif

Christ there are a ton of Megaman games. :P And that doesn't even touch the Megaman X series but those tended to stray further away from the old Megaman formula :) Megaman Legends was of course 3D so they don't count.

Sorry about the Mega Man 7 thing.... I guess that one got passed me somehow. Anyway, I guess you could consider Super Mario World to be SMB4, but personally I wish Nintendo would put out a new mario game in the same spirit of the ld one... and I would like that game to be called Super Mario Bros. 4.

Seems like everyone wants to see a Pole Position 3... with today graphics, that could be awesome. I hope someone from INFORGRAMES reads this.

Are there anyother sequels you guys would like to see?

VintageGamer

Alright, alright you've made yer point! :D

But I'd still like to see a straightforward sequel rather than things like Mario64, or Mega ManX. And I think maybe that is what our pal Vintage Gamer was getting at (right?)

But your point is well made, NE146. :)

Hey, it's all good Stan (as it always is). ;) :)

Yeah I understood what Vintage Gamer was getting at. It was just that the games he mentioned already existed (unless of course like I said, he meant specifically for the NES). So I just wanted to point them out to him so he'd find them and try them out! They're great games, available now, and should fulfill his immediate wants right away. :D

However I totally understand what you're saying as well. Unfortunately I think the days are pretty much gone when we can expect a non-3D sequel of some of the popular classics in any modern day console. It looks like the Gameboy Advance though is pretty much the only place to go for satisfying sequels. Quite honestly I'm looking forward to the 2D sequel to Metroid on the GBA moreso than the 3D first person version on the Gamecube. Ditto for the new sequel to Castlevania Symphony of the Night on the GBA. That's just the way it looks these days :( But yeah I'd totally love to see full blown 2D sequels to a lot of my favorites on the big consoles and not just the GB/GBA. (Just imagine how AWESOME they could make them with all that power) :sad:

I don't know, while those 2d games WERE great, I think they did all they could with the format. The 3D thing seemed like a logical extension at the time. The only thing that (still!) really hampers all 3D games is the camera, though that might be set to change - Eternal Darkness is the first 3D game I've ever seen with absolutely no camera issues at all. Stick that kind of system in a Mario (or sonic) title and maybe, just maybe, I'll buy it.

Pole Position 3 has been done MANY times over. Pick any arcade racer of the last decade. I guess Pole Positions rightful heir has been the Ridge Racer series - similar game mechanics.

I get where you are coming from, liveinabin, but I also think the 3-D world has more ups and downs that just camera issues. I a 2-D world, you can see pretty much all there is to see all at once on the screen. You don't have to be bothered by looking around for stuff. If I am under a block on a 2-D screen, I AM UNDER it, no question, but precision such as this is a great deal tougher in a 3-d realm. On the flip side, a 3-D realm can be much bigger and more complete since you can move 360.

I think BOTH have their use and place. Otherwise I would not bother with 2-d heavy platforms like teh VCS or NES. There is a charm to the old 2D.

Oh heck yeah - I too love that about 2d games - Defender will not work in 3D at all and all the 3D bomberman games thus far have been useless for precisely that reason.

OK, I see the argument for the continued support of 2D gaming, insofar that it's a competely different beast to 3D, but I don't see what new direction it can be taken in. The whole 2D platform thing was getting extremely stale towards the end of the SNES/Genesis era.

Maybe it's good that it died a death with the advent of PS1/N64 - because if and when it makes its comeback it'll be because of games offering something genuinely new.

Liveinabin - c'mon Eternal Darkness has some HIDEOUS camera problems - not least of which is that its so easy to get behind creatures and therefore become hidden from the camera..

That and the fact that they seem to use NO smoothing on the spline transitions so by moving just ONE pixel on screen the camera moves a huge distance and then stepping back one pixel the camera swings all the way back....

I thought the ICO camera was pretty good - and I know several developers are working on some really AWESOME camera systems...

sTeVE