IGNORED

ATARI FB2 REJECTS ( FOR TINKERINGS)

I KNOW where this belongs. . . but I have a bunch of FUNKY ones. ALL ( to be politically correct ) DISTURBED . . . Let's try a project forum for beaters. . . I had a guy who was turning them into lamps Any idea for the lost and abused FB 2's. Thoughts . . . Hopes . . . Ideas . . . Asperations ( I know where this is going . . . ) BUTT and a BIG ONE Let's not them DIE in vein. At least I am not on YOUTUBE blowing, beating, exploding etc . . . them up. My DEAD HEAD friend even devised a case idea for them w a HOMECHEAPO HINGE for a desktop thing. I am willing to work with serious folk . . . Kinda like cheap feels for the blind . . . Cardboard booxes for the homeless ( Don't ask )... They don't do any good at my house, or really for recycling ( I live in Phila PA ) ... WAY too much waste. And now the mayor is talking about charging for trash and RECYCLING , because the city is LOOSING MONEY. We will END the politics there. So a final S. O. S. to save the 2nd generation goes out . . .

4EVER8B10

Igg1na

I definitely remember that project, Pac, and still get applause from me on it. One for the books! I was thinking a littl more low-key than a high speed motherboard like what you used, though. I'm thinking multi-game based over a linux OS core. Not fire-breather multi gig monster :) An emulator machine that can be something like 500mhz or something on an SBC stuffed inside the case with little case mod on the outside, maybe just extending the bottom some for thickness.

What you did there was way too much for me to attempt! Still awesome, too.

Nathan

I definitely remember that project, Pac, and still get applause from me on it. One for the books! I was thinking a littl more low-key than a high speed motherboard like what you used, though. I'm thinking multi-game based over a linux OS core. Not fire-breather multi gig monster :) An emulator machine that can be something like 500mhz or something on an SBC stuffed inside the case with little case mod on the outside, maybe just extending the bottom some for thickness.

What you did there was way too much for me to attempt! Still awesome, too.

Nathan

I posted about some small MBs that are cheap but are a little big for the FB2 in the "Designing a classic gaming console" thread. Maybe they might fit in a regular sized 2600, although I don't know if the power supply would fit in one. Maybe in an Atari 400/800 casing?

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

You can always use a brick separately. But you're right, there isn't a whole lot of room in there, barely enough for a motherboard. If I come across a dead 400/800 (first I'll try to fix an 800, them're rare in these parts) I'll remember your suggestion and snag it as parts. Great idea!

I looked at the Atom board, and if the fan stuck up too far, put a mini hood scoop like a 1970 Firebird and wheels like Curt's profile pic and it'll look almost... natural!

/edit Found one on ebay for the same $80 as the article suggested, what a steal! There are a whole bunch more going for lots more money! J/K about the hood scoop, deepening the bottom is still my idea to accommodate greater height. But the Atom and board looks extremely tempting as a board for the FB2 as a mid-speed machine conversion.

Nathan

Edited by nathanallan

I have secured a source for sheetmetal, so I can make a few more bottom halves for the FB2, to make them deeper.

Here is my idea: I produce X amount of bottom halves, then someone can get them from me and have a near-ready case to stuff a computer in them. They will be shaped and painted black, maybe 1" taller and that should do it. Then whoever wants to take up the project will get the cases (or case bottoms) and finish it. OR they can do a small mod to the ends of finishing it, and send it to the next guy for the next small mod, and on and on until they are done (IF there is more than one)

This could be another "spread the love" project! All of the contributors could in the end get one for ourselves, while we all put something into them. And 25 years from now, we have a fan-made atari to share with our grandkids (or great grandkids)!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...