IGNORED

Chopper Command on 7800 not working

Math You

Hi.

I've just bought the PAL version of Activisions Chopper Command (a 2600 game) and found that it doesn't work on my 7800 :( The 7800 just loads the built in Asteroids game instead.

Has anyone else experienced problems with Chooper Command on the 7800, or have I just bought a dud?

Thanks

Edited by Math You

Chopper Command is not a game that has trouble with the 7800.

the only games that *rarely* have trouble playing on the 7800 are:

Dark Caverns 2600

Activision Decathlon 2600

Space Shuttle 2600

Robot Tank 2600

even less often: Pitfall II.

any other problems you encounter are most likely a bad cart, bad 7800 console, or both.

I had problem's with about 5-6 atari carts i tryed cleaning the contacts first but nothing helped then i saw on the forum's here that someone suggested using fine sandpaper and it fixed all the games there work perfect now.

so for a last resort try some fine sandpaper just go easy it worked for me.

Activision carts always seemed pretty cranky to me, it might take multiple trys of reinserting it even after a good cleaning to get good enough contact for the game to boot correctly.

Yeah,i also say its the thin circuit boards Activison used.Games with thin boards seem to have the same issues.

Edited by Rik

The reason Activision carts give us trouble is the shell. The boards may have something to do with it.

Cut the sleeve around the port. Don't mean to sound short, but it's an easy fix, the full mod (with Tigervision support) is posted everywhere on this board, and that's why I passed over this thread at first. Once you cut the sleeve, all your Activision, Imagic, and maybe even Tigervision (depends on how you do it) troubles will magically vanish. That is, unless your cart has a dead ROM.

There is a chance your cart may have ring cracks--in that case it is totally fixable.

Edited by shadow460

Activision carts always seemed pretty cranky to me, it might take multiple trys of reinserting it even after a good cleaning to get good enough contact for the game to boot correctly.

Yeah,i also say its the thin circuit boards Activison used.Games with thin boards seem to have the same issues.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I surprised I never really thought about this before. I sometimes have Activision games that also have troubles on certain 2600's but not the next. I should take a few chips into work and measure them with a micrometer, but they would probably think I'm nuts.

A lot of people spend all their time cleaning their carts, but forget about the port. Cleaning the port does miracles to games that just don't want to boot up.