IGNORED

Xevious

johnnywc

Hello all,

I just got finished playing the Xevious proto ROM available here on Atari Age - I must say that I'm very impressed!!! Anyone know the story behind this one? ie. who programmed it, why wasn't it released, how close it is to being finished, what hasn't been implemented, etc.? It's obviously pretty close to being complete...

Thanks!

Once my prototype site is up (end of this month) you can see my Xevious page. However until then I can tide you over with some tidbits.

Xevious was programmed by Tod Frye, and I'd estimate it was about 70% complete. The mother ship isn't in this version, but there are four different enemies (tanks, flying discs, black balls, and mirrors). It's not a bad version, but it still needed some work.

The reason it got cancelled was probably becuase of the management shake up at Atari. When James Morgan took over as CEO he put all games on a 30 day freeze until he had time to review them. The 7800 was then deemed to be the highest priority system and most 2600 and 5200 game development was scrapped. Xevious was one of those games that was cut along with Sinistar, Elevator Action, Tempest, etc.

Tempest

Tempest -

Thanks for the info. When is that proto site going up? I remember peeking at it some months ago (I think you had a backdoor link up on a message regarding Klax) and was very impressed. Not sure what has changed since then, but either way excellent job and great resource.

I hope to have the site up by the end of the month. At the moment I'm proofreading pages and adding the last few protos (Cubicolor, Funky Fish, Pink Panther, etc.). Only the 2600 section is finished, but there are about 135 prototype pages with a few versions on each. I'm also finalizing the graphics and such, so hopefully everything will be all set and ready to go at the end of the month.

Tempest

Tempest -

Fantastic!! Sounds great - can't wait for the grand opening. Your other site (8-bit rot) only had proto info on Dumbo, Frog Pond, Save Mary, NTSC Klax and Saboteur - sounds like you've added a bunch!!

By end of the month, do you mean end of August or September? :)

Thanks!

@Tempest

I think I have some Protos, that you miss on your site in the moment.

Demons to Diamonds, with the same text, but this is PAL,

Obelix PAL,

Raiders of the Losr Ark NTSC

Human Cannonball PAL

Dolphin NTSC

see complete text and lables on my site. :)

Some little diffrents, maybe not really diffrent:

Crystal Castles Pal is PAL with small a and l, your picture too, so the text is wrong.

Sea Quest is write in 2 words. And complete my lables say this:

ACTIVISION

SEA QUEST TM EAX-022

c 1983 ACTIVISION, INC.

and the c has a handwritten circle that it looks like a ©.

My Prototypes