IGNORED

Lab Loaner...Question to the roots...

XTClaus

I've got a Lab Loaner - Berserk - which I've to send back to: :sad:

Jan Boehm

Consumer Division

Software Dept.

Ok, I've never realy want to send it back :D ...But....

Is it possible to get informations about the Names printet to the Lab Loaners? Where did they work? And when? And are they alive? Do they have heared about PCs and Internet and email? Or do they have homepages?

They are the men - the first men for the first games on the first videosystem...Don't let that men die....Let's find some of them...Let the hunt beginn...

There exist 2 variations of this lable. One say:

Return to

Jan Boehm

Consumer Division

Software Dept.

and the other say:

Return to

Prototype Lab

Consumer Division

Software Dept.

But I don't know anything about Jan Boehm. :)

But that an interesting question. Maybe Tempest know something about him? He is the Master of Prototypes. :D :D :) ;)

Indeed, Tempest is the one to ask. Mayhap he'll spot this thread and lend you his expertise. Regarding the so-called hunt to which you've referred, let me know if/how I can help, as it seems like a very interesting prospect! But something tells me you won't need any help, once Tempest (and Russ Perry, Jr., for that matter) post on this thread.

CF

I admire you enthusiasm, but there are a couple of things you should know:

1. First of all these people aren't wild animals to be hunted down. They're people with lives and families and their privacy should be respected. Always be courteous when contacting programmers and use common sense when finding information on them. Digging up someone's unlisted phone number probably isn't the wisest thing to do.

2. Remember that they did these games 20+ years ago, not all of them are going to remember details about the game. Don't be surprised if you get a response like "Sorry I don't remember much about that". Many of these programmers haven't touched a 2600 since they left Atari.

3. Not everyone wants to talk about their programming past. While most programmers will fondly look back at their time in the classic gaming industry as the time of their lives, some people had very bad experiences. Other times programmers simply aren't interested in chewing the fat about the past.

4. Try not to be a rabid fanboy. Just think how creepy it would be if someone tracked you down and starting asking questions about something you did 20 years ago. Try and restrain yourself a little. The last thing we need is 30 people spamming some poor programmer with the same list of questions.

5. Many of the programmers who want to talk to fans have already been found. For a good list look at the CGE page. Some programmers have webpages, but not as many as you'd think.

Oh and in case your wondering about the name on your cart there. Jan Boehm wasn't a programmer, she was in charge of loaning out the lab loaner carts. Dan Hitchens was the programmer for Berzerk.

Tempest

hey, hey Tempest...slow down!

I don't want to hunt them. I didn't know it's only these two adresses printed to the carts. I thought there were - let's say - 100 people how send these carts away...I respect everyones privacy and declare the "hunt" for finished...

Well you can still search for them, I've found a few myself. But I just wanted to say that you need to be tactful and very careful when doing so. You'll also find out that it's not as easy as opening up a phone book (well sometimes it is, but not always). John Hardie is really the person to ask about this, he's the one who contacts most of the CGE guys.

Sometimes programmers are happy you found them (Dave Lubar was fun to chat with for instance), but sometimes they're very paranoid people and want to know how you tracked them down. Programmers are a strange bunch, your never sure how they'll react.

Tempest

Oh and in case your wondering about the name on your cart there. Jan Boehm wasn't a programmer, she was in charge of loaning out the lab loaner carts. Dan Hitchens was the programmer for Berzerk.

Hut ab- as you say in germany. or hat of in english. cool informated Tempest...Do you know what Mr. Boehm is doing now? Not where he is doing it...

Jan Boehm was at CGE2K.

She was? Too bad I missed her, I wanted to ask her a question (and meet the lady whose name is on half my prototypes).

It's more than a man can take on one day...Jan Boehm is a lady...Impressive...  

"Jan" a male-name in Germany...Does it stand for Janny or something like that...?

As far as I know Jan is short for Janet. I think it can also just be a name by itself though.

Tempest