IGNORED

Might Be Buying a Xbox 360, Have Questions

Tempest

If I were you, I'd go for a larger hd than 20. Mine is basically full with just game saves, a few content packs for games like Forza 2 (2 addon tracks), and Shivering Isles for Oblivion, as well as a lot of XBLA games. I also have three Xbox Originals, and a couple videos. I have around 200-300mb's left, and I'm faced with deleting stuff now or paying 180$ for a new hd...

If you think you'd ever want to buy anything from the Xbox Originals lineup someday, you'll fine your hd filling itself full pretty quickly. And the DLC for some of these games will take up a lot of space too.

I'd wait for the 60 if you don't think you'll ever use the video marketplace, which will give you more than enough room. Or go for the 120 gig hd if you think you'd like to download tv shows. You want to be sure you have more than enough room than you think you'll ever need, since fixing it later if you find you were wrong and want more storage room will cost you a bundle. It's a lot cheaper to buy the right system to start off with, rather than upgrade in the future due to MS's extremely high hd prices.

Edited by Atariboy

One thing I haven't seen mentioned: the price of the 20gb Pro is lowered to $300 to phase it out. There are still a lot of 20gb hard drives laying around on store shelves and I wonder if MS is going to lower the price on them also to get rid of them. If they do, then buying a 20gb Pro now and maybe picking up an extra HD for additional storage of movies and TV shows might be an option that could be cost effective for you.

Can you chain HD's like that? I thought it was one HD at a time.

Tempest

When I sent my 360 in for repair for the 2nd time, I borrowed my son's 360 (he was going on vacation) to use. I took his HD off and put mine on. Once I had recovered my account on his 360, all of my arcade games and Oblivion add-on's were available without having to re-download any of them.

So unless MS has changed something within the last year or so, the HD on the console doesn't really matter as it seems that MS is concerned with the console number and gamertag. That's why I suggested that if the price was low enough you could just buy another 20gb for additional storage space.

Mendon

He didn't ask that I don't think.

Unless he wants to swap hd's (Which he was asking confirmation of after your initial suggestion I think), your idea isn't the solution most people would want since they both can't be plugged in simultaneousily.

I'm also unsure if the connections between the hd and 360 are designed for the stress of routinely switching hd's constantly when you go from one thing to another.

Edited by Atariboy

The 20GB has had HDMI since late last year.

I think I'll probably just get the 60GB when it comes out next month. Like I said, I think the Elite's 120GB is overkill and I don't like the black color for some reason. I guess it reminds me of those old Dell Optiplex's we have here in my test lab... :)

Tempest

You could always buy the Arcade edition 360 and the 120GB hard drive separately - if I remember right, it's about the same cost as the Elite, but it's white and you get a few extra goodies along with it (nothing really spectacular unless you've been pining for a memory card)

The 20GB has had HDMI since late last year.

I think I'll probably just get the 60GB when it comes out next month. Like I said, I think the Elite's 120GB is overkill and I don't like the black color for some reason. I guess it reminds me of those old Dell Optiplex's we have here in my test lab... :)

Tempest

You could always buy the Arcade edition 360 and the 120GB hard drive separately - if I remember right, it's about the same cost as the Elite, but it's white and you get a few extra goodies along with it (nothing really spectacular unless you've been pining for a memory card)

Yeah it's close ($10 more) but then you also dont get the component cable or headset either.

Tempest

either way you go, you are going to have a blast with this system. I haven't been this happy with a console since my SNES years. I pretty much jumped from 16-bit to current generation. PS1 era I didn't really have much interest in any of the systems, and the next gen was the same, I hated my PS2, liked XBOX, liked GC, but nothing was as good as the 360. I have just as many 360 games now than I have for all those other systems combined.

My Xbox is near silent. I can't even hear it.

No shit? I've got two 360, a pro and an Elite. Neither is the original unit. I've had to return and recieve new ones from MS 3 times on the pro unit and once on the Elite unit. Every one has been a beast. When I had my 360 hooked up in my bonus room, I actually drilled a hole with a hole saw through the walla and kept the 360 in a bathroom behind the entertainment center so I wouldn't have to listen to it. I would be VERY interested in one that was silent. What is the manufacture date on your unit? Hell I might buy a newer unit and just sell my old one on eBay if they are silent now.

My Xbox is near silent. I can't even hear it.

No shit? I've got two 360, a pro and an Elite. Neither is the original unit. I've had to return and recieve new ones from MS 3 times on the pro unit and once on the Elite unit. Every one has been a beast. When I had my 360 hooked up in my bonus room, I actually drilled a hole with a hole saw through the walla and kept the 360 in a bathroom behind the entertainment center so I wouldn't have to listen to it. I would be VERY interested in one that was silent. What is the manufacture date on your unit? Hell I might buy a newer unit and just sell my old one on eBay if they are silent now.

Mine is a new model (Feb 08) and it sounds like a pavement saw.

Maybe it is the drive - I have a Benq.

Hmm. My Elite is 01/08 and is definitely much quieter than my original. I really don't notice it like I did the first one.

I dont tend to notice it playing games. It was watching movies that it would bug me.

How can you tell what drive is in the unit?

Here's the thing, why would my drive have anything to do with it playing a Live game...or just sitting there at the dashboard?

It sounds more like the fans to me, not the drive.

Do yourself a favor and read up on how to spot yourself a Falcon. You'll be happier later. These systems are newer and will reduce the change you ever get the RROD.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/02/05/ho...60-in-the-wild/

Falcon's run cooler, 65nm process, and have extra heat sinks.

Thanks for the link! I'll pass this info along to a victim I know. She's been extra cautious ever since her last one RRoD'd.

Hmm. My Elite is 01/08 and is definitely much quieter than my original. I really don't notice it like I did the first one.

I dont tend to notice it playing games. It was watching movies that it would bug me.

How can you tell what drive is in the unit?

Here's the thing, why would my drive have anything to do with it playing a Live game...or just sitting there at the dashboard?

It sounds more like the fans to me, not the drive.

You can tell what drive you have by the shape of the cut-out on the tray. I found this pic with Google (The Benq is the same as the one labelled Philips.):

post-697-1216422439_thumb.jpg

I've been reading that the new 60GB models are supposed to have the new Jasper chips (smaller and less power hungry). It might be worth it to get the 60GB just for that.

Tempest

If it is Jasper, the smaller die process for the video chip should make the system run much cooler and they might be quieter as well... at least till the DVD drive starts making noise.